The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
OK, please point to realistic top 6 forwards whom you believe Adams can aquire without giving up one of the 4 guys mentioned? Who can he get for a first and a prospect? And frankly I have no opinion on Joe Marino, that tweet just ended up on my timeline and it's spot on. If someone says 99 dumb things and one smart thing that one smart thing is still smart.
It could probably be a mid-six forward who can easily play in the top 6. Either way, it would improve the team and make the depth of line up even better.

Konecny
Coleman
Zegras
Farabee
Vatrano

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I think we just need patience with our young team. Finishing .500 over 2 years with a young team is positive. They made the correct move with a veteran coach. They brought in speed in the bottom 6.

We just need patience now. They are going to be good sometime over the next 2 years. Maybe as soon as next year. Last year IMO is about as bad as this group can be. I think they’ll win 40+ games next year. Not sure how many over 40 they will win but they will be right there.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think we just need patience with our young team. Finishing .500 over 2 years with a young team is positive. They made the correct move with a veteran coach. They brought in speed in the bottom 6.

We just need patience now. They are going to be good sometime over the next 2 years. Maybe as soon as next year. Last year IMO is about as bad as this group can be. I think they’ll win 40+ games next year. Not sure how many over 40 they will win but they will be right there.
Well said.

Unfortunately, it is going to take time to develop chemistry with a new coach and so much roster turnover.

If this team had through November as preseason, I think they'd likely make the playoffs this year, but a slow start, which is probably likely, may make that an uphill battle. Opening the season across the pond makes that situation even worse.

I am just hoping goaltending can steal some games for them early until they find their new identify and start firing on all cylinders.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Trading Quinn/Benson/Peterka for a top 6 forward does nothing. We'd be in the exact same situation but older and with a worse contract on the books.

I'm very intrigued by the Benson/Quinn combo but I'm starting to think McLeod might be a better C for them than Cozens. Zucker-Cozens-Kulich to round out the top 9?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
They were taping in front of a live audience. Peters likes to perform and entertain. You could tell when he mentioned Power that it was similar to when he proposed to a Toronto radio station a few years ago that Matthews should be traded. He likes getting a reaction.
Great point.

They are the only Sabres podcast i listen to religiously, i love both of them. But their takes on Power (especially Rivet's) are so far off the mark.

Joe Marino pointed out something people don't want to accept: To get a top 6 forward you better be prepared to part with guys like Peterka, Quinn or Benson because teams don't trade legit top 6 forwards for a few prospects and picks. If you expect Adams to acquire a top 6 forward you need to realize that it's roughly as likely and realistic as Adams negotiating everlasting peace in the Middle East, it's impossible without giving up guys we can't afford to give up.
I've been making a similar arguement lately. It's not just what other teams want either - we simply don't have room to add another forward without moving one out. We haven't just built a legitimate bottom six for the first time in forever, just to move one of those guys out of the LU for a more offensive player either.

If we were to add a legit top forward at this point, the two most likely candidates to move out would have be Peterka or Quinn IMO. I can actually see that type of move happening - but not until Adams has decided his long term plan for both of them. Which will likely be next offseason.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Trading Quinn/Benson/Peterka for a top 6 forward does nothing. We'd be in the exact same situation but older and with a worse contract on the books.

I'm very intrigued by the Benson/Quinn combo but I'm starting to think McLeod might be a better C for them than Cozens. Zucker-Cozens-Kulich to round out the top 9?
Best case is we’re in a playoff spot and we add a 20 goal scorer at the deadline and a veteran dman.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I really feel like the Sabres need to make a trade or two to finish the roster.

I also am starting to feel like NHL front offices are going on vacation to the lake house and we aren't going to see much activity until right before training camp.
That's august it seems, but I also feel like we've seen some trades in August.

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
here the notable trades between july 15th and august 31st over the past two years (the cottage season trades)

karlsson/granlund/hoffman 3 way trade (with other players in deal)
jeff petry traded to red wings
lyubushkin traded to ducks

petry and poehling for matheson and a 4th
john marino for ty smith and a 3rd
tkachuk/huberdeau/weegar blockbuster
bjorkstrand traded to seattle
monahan traded to canadians
adin hill traded to vegas
kulikov traded to ducks

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Very few. If they don't do anything more this week, we should probably assume other than trying to get their arb cases handled before arbitration, they're
done.

Here's what I found under Adams in August.
1720874110990.png

1720874314795.png

1720874372224.png

Attachments

• 1720874474435.png
    1720874474435.png
    423.9 KB · Views: 1

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019

Its been 13 years

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Thats only for the fans and media to talk about. This team is basically on year 3.
Adams is on year five. The holes in his roster are a direct result of failing to do ANYTHING about them the previous two years. You can’t ask for patience when 2/3 of what you consider the window has been spent sitting on hands. If they don’t make a big move they’re also going to be wasting the savings from the Skinner buyout. Proving once and for all they only do things for Terry’s wallet.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Still feel like an Ehlers trade is coming. Just hoping it’s not an overpayment again.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Adams is on year five. The holes in his roster are a direct result of failing to do ANYTHING about them the previous two years. You can’t ask for patience when 2/3 of what you consider the window has been spent sitting on hands. If they don’t make a big move they’re also going to be wasting the savings from the Skinner buyout. Proving once and for all they only do things for Terry’s wallet.
So Adams is on year 5 and Pegula is on year 13. So what? Why does that have anything to do with 2024?

I never understood this.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Any potential acquisitions need to fit into the long term plan. Not just this season.

This is PRECISELY why i was so much against a Skinner buyout this offseason. It just made absolutely no sense from a financial/cap standpoint. Buying him out next offseason would have been so much more logical.

The only reason i can believe it was done now is because they (i'll bet Ruff) wanted him off the team & out of the room that badly. Akin to when Beane traded Sammy Watkins soon after taking over the Bills. Nothing to do with Pegula.

Skinner's 'replacement' is Zucker. You might not like it - but that was always the type of move that was going to happen. Committing long term to a 'top six' forward does not make sense until Adams knows exactly where he is with Peterka, Quinn, etc.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
So Adams is on year 5 and Pegula is on year 13. So what? Why does that have anything to do with 2024?

I never understood this.
If the previous years don't matter at all then why are you preaching about us all needing to be patient? Patient for what? The previous years don't matter so what is there to be patient about since nothing in the past matters?

Reactions: debaser66

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I don't know who needs to hear this; Whether we like it or not, this upcoming season is the first that Adams said we need to make the playoffs. He's been transparent throughout the rebuilding process. Let's not pretend he's been trying to achieve something and has failed. Go ahead and hate the game plan or cling to hypothetical motivations but this is the timeline has always been to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad