The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
How many of those was he directly responsible for? Maybe 1 off the top of my head?

And I'm a fan of his on the PP because I think he's the best bumper guy we had last year but Meatballs misused him greatly.
Screenshot 2024-07-06 183134.png

If that's the case - why is nobody even close to as bad as he is for GF%?

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Because he happened to be on the ice when a SH goal was scored.

Correlation =/= causality.
Sure. He's also in the bottom 5 of GF/60 on the PP. The other players probably just weren't scoring when he was on the ice too, right? It's just a coincidence.

I like Benson. He was horrible on the PP last year.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Sure. He's also in the bottom 5 of GF/60 on the PP. The other players probably just weren't scoring when he was on the ice too, right? It's just a coincidence.

I like Benson. He was horrible on the PP last year.
Nobody scored on our PP last year. Out entire PP was horrible last year.

As an 18 year old, I think Benson played well in the pivot.....certainly well enough to expect/hope for growth.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Nobody scored on our PP last year. Out entire PP was horrible last year.

As an 18 year old, I think Benson played well in the pivot.....certainly well enough to expect/hope for growth.
I mean, we scored about twice as much on the PP when Skinner was on the PP compared to when Benson was. You're correct we didn't score. We really didn't score when Benson was on the ice.

Upgrading from Skinner to a legit PP option was one of my top goals this summer, since Benson isn't ready for that spot yet. We haven't done that. Apart from Ruff/Appert chaging the PP strategy, I don't have a large amount of confidence that our PP will be that improved.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I mean, we scored about twice as much on the PP when Skinner was on the PP compared to when Benson was. You're correct we didn't score. We really didn't score when Benson was on the ice.

Upgrading from Skinner to a legit PP option was one of my top goals this summer, since Benson isn't ready for that spot yet. We haven't done that. Apart from Ruff/Appert chaging the PP strategy, I don't have a large amount of confidence that our PP will be that improved.
We are also a year removed from the same players having a great pp.

I know there’s a lot riding on certain players not having shitty seasons again.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Something people need to understand about players like McLeod and Malenstyn, is that yes we overpaid to get them. But teams don’t want to give up those types of players. Why does Washington want to give up a young fast, physical, defensive player? Why does Edmonton want to give up a young fast two-way penalty killer that literally is just now coming into his own? The fact Buffalo is dangling a top prospect for over a week to Edmonton shows this.

This isn’t a video game where they are bottom six players so their value is low. Teams don’t like trading away these players. They are cheap, valuable, and bring specific skill sets that teams covet

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Agreed. And now that the no-hit coach is gone, they could really use that identity. Having a line that just goes out for the first five minutes of the game with the role to just forecheck and pound the other team would draw the fans into every home game.

Just going back to the first page of the thread. So happy the Sabres addressed this. Malenstyn-Lafferty-NAK has the potential to be really fun.

Love that the team added speed, physicality, and penalty killers this off-season. Now our young offensive players need to bring the offense and our defensive players being the defense.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Are we seriously using a player's performance on a MATT ELLIS PP as a discussion point here?

Throw out all the PP stats from last year. They are not applicable moving forward, because hopefully we'll have an actual PP to work with this year.
Do we throw out the PP stats from the year before was well?

Reactions: BFLO

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I said 1st line and 1st pair. I didn't say what you think I said.

96 1st line forwards in the league and 64 1st pair dmen in the league.
You said 1st line and 1st pair talents. Which to me implies the best at their positions. Cozens and Power are not the best at their positions on this team, let alone the league.

If you’re saying it’s about 1st line forwards and 1st pair dmen. Then what’s the point? Since guys on those lines/pairs can run the gamut from elite offensive players who produce at the top of league to two way/defensive players who don’t come near that. Like Sammy on the top pair, who I feel pretty confident Power can outscore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

You can look up whomever you want here.

View attachment 893034

I wonder if they want a goals >> assists guy (like Skinner is) in the top 6...
I have no idea, although it seems like we need a playmaker more, but I like Vatrano because he plays a physical game in addition to scoring goals.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

Skinner was one of the worst PP players I ever seen in my lifetime. His inability to pass even to someone 5 feet away was mind boggling as a pro player.Benson has the ability to be a great PP player just based on his high IQ and the fact he was the youngest player in hockey.I expect a big jump from last year as he gets stronger and over the next few years.You can't teach IQ

Reactions: RWatson29

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Is it...weird that they haven't had a press conference since the trade? Could I be that they have another one in the hopper? Seems possible. Also it's a holiday weekend. But, one can hope.

Adams probably wants to fly him in, do the whole 'hold up the jersey' thing, and declare a victory over all the people who said he couldn't trade a top 10 draft pick for a 3rd line center.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Is it...weird that they haven't had a press conference since the trade? Could I be that they have another one in the hopper? Seems possible. Also it's a holiday weekend. But, one can hope.

I don’t think we can read anything into Sabres media…it’s by far the most incompetent part of the organization :laugh:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Do we throw out the PP stats from the year before was well?
Sure. Let's face it, our PP was basically a one-trick pony: find Tage, let him shoot. A very, very good trick, but we were way too reliant on it because we didn't have a real PP system in place.

If we're trying to figure out our PP personnel, the question should be what traits the players have and how they can be used effectively, not how well (or not well) they performed in a poor system that happened to work because Tage was basically a cheat code one year.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Well, we don't know how their season will go and there is always the option of a bridge. Also, you don't take into account other available money, not just from UFA.
I would assume if you bridge them all,

McLeod goes to 3.5 - 2.1 = 1.4
Quinn goes to around 5.0 - 865k = 4.1ish
Peterka goes to around 5.0. - 855k = 4.1 ish
Byram is probably 5.5 - 6.0 - 3.85 = 1.7 - 2.2 ish

Son just in raises probably around 12 million plus any bonuses from this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad