The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Really. We're talking about a bottom-six line that's supposed to be decent defensively and hopefully add some physicality. Greenway brings both, and is going to be the ONLY physical player on that line, since Benson is small and McLeod plays soft/perimeter in the O-zone. If anything Greenway is a NEED on that line.
Agreed. I would also argue that what Greenway lacks in raw footspeed, he makes up for in reach.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Farabee is not fast, frost is

What I'd really like to see is some speed stats for teams/lines/etc to see what the correlation to success is. Obviously systems play a big role. Idk why the NHL edge stuff has to be formatted exclusively in such a way that its a PITA to view info for multiple guys
I am getting the vibe that the Sabres are building a team similar to the first year Vegas team. Fast and heavy with some skill. We happen to have 2 first overall players on D who need to carry this team now. Go time.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
“Do something!!”

Does things.

“No, no, not like that!!”
Adams has done most of the things that he talked about doing his press availabilities after the Ruff hire and pre-draft and FA.

The only thing left on his To Do list is the top 6 F. And that was always going to be the hardest/costliest item to get done.

And if he does trade for an Ehlers or Necas or Zegras and people whine about the trade package going the other way...

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Ehlers and Necas look definitely faster than Konecny and especially Farabee. Zegras is unique in this sense, he plays not with speed, but with brains.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
No I'm not trading Jack Quinn for Travis Konecny.

Yeah, f*** that.

Is Quinn's production over the next 3 years going to be better than Konecny's? Possibly. But probably not. In 5 years? Quinn is probably the better player and Konecny is on the decline.

Konecny kills penalties and plays in all situations.

Konecny is a better skater

Konecny hasn't had a major knee injury.

Quinn undoubtedly has better offensive upside as is a better playmaker

Konecny's impacts are better now.

A bridge for Quinn costs 5-6M IF he produces at a 50-60 pt clip.

A long term deal for Konecny costs 8M and he'll play on a 60-70 pt clip.

The aging curve IS real. In a few years, Quinn will likely producing more an Konecny will be producing less

It's not a great trade, I'll be honest.

It's paying for immediate improvement with probable future production.

But it is immediate improvement.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Agreed. I would also argue that what Greenway lacks in raw footspeed, he makes up for in reach.

He also takes good lines to be in good position.

Is Quinn's production over the next 3 years going to be better than Konecny's? Possibly. But probably not. In 5 years? Quinn is probably the better player and Konecny is on the decline.

So does Quinn.

Is he? Perhaps in the balance department but speed, short area quickness? I don’t see separation between the two.

Neither has Quinn.

Quinn’s a far far better shooter too.

Agreed.

Sure.

I think you are underestimating what Travis thinks he is worth.
The aging curve IS real. In a few years, Quinn will likely producing more an Konecny will be producing less

No it isn’t.

I don’t even know if it is immediate improvement. But it would be different.

Last edited:

SabresNorth

Nov 6, 2021
I never got to watch Savoie a ton, but had high hopes for him nonetheless.. Friends who watched lots of Wpg ice games tell me Benson was already ahead of Savoie in his draft year.

Easy to get stuck on the 9th overall pick, but value obviously just wasn't as high as many expected. Best of luck to Savoie, but nice to see an addition who can play right now and bring a much needed element. Mcleods pking during the playoffs was masterclass.

*assume they are now essentially done for the offseason aside from reupping rfa's.

Reactions: Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I am getting the vibe that the Sabres are building a team similar to the first year Vegas team. Fast and heavy with some skill. We happen to have 2 first overall players on D who need to carry this team now. Go time.

Where is the heavy in the top of the lineup? Or the portable walls on defense? I see fast, sure, and a marked improvement in contact by all but McLeod who is Granato-level shy about contact.

Reactions: debaser66

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
If Thompson and Cozens and Power aren't playing and producing like 1st line and 1st pair talents everything that's happened the past week can be kind of irrelevant.
Cozens just has to produce like a 2C that plays heavy PK minutes...we are not expecting 1C numbers from him but that would be gravy.

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
5 new players of 6 in the bottom 6 now. 2 new lines basically. 3-4 line looks good and top 6. I think sabres trade for a top 6 player at the deadline before playoffs . we reach it this season

Peterka Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
Zucker Mcleod Greenway
Malenstyn Lafferty Aube-Kubel

Dahlin Byram
Power Jokiharju
Samuelsson Clifton

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

We don't have the cap space to afford Konecny's next contract with the upcoming contracts he will force us to trade one our D-men for sure. Sabres will probably trade for Necas though not sure what I wanna know what it's going to cost.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Where is the heavy in the top of the lineup? Or the portable walls on defense? I see fast, sure, and a marked improvement in contact by all but McLeod who is Granato-level shy about contact.

I think Ruff will have the Sabres playing a lot heavier than Granato. Tuch/Cozens/Zucker/Tage can play heavy. Having Dahlin/Clifton and maybe Gilbert on the backend help too. Maybe Ruff can even get Power to play more physical.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
We don't have the cap space to afford Konecny's next contract with the upcoming contracts he will force us to trade one our D-men for sure.
Quinn and Konecny's contracts could differ by several million. Although I am against such a trade.

After next season we will have about 15 million free if our UFAs leave, I also don’t count the cap increase. Adams could add a top 6 forward, although I don't see it.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
As much as I'd love to see one more move for an Ehlers or Necas, I have a hard time seeing Adams having the stomach for the cost. I assume it will cost a first and another one of our top prospects at least, and then we'll have to give out a decent long term contract to make it worthwhile.

Having now lost Savoie, it would be a drastic switch in philosophy to spend twice as much on another win now piece.
I think he's much more likely to feel he's done some good work and to see how it plays out now before doing anything else.

It's possible he has done enough to get this team to the next level. It's also possible they miss the playoffs even if they do add Ehlers, btw.

I would be willing to do it because i figure you only have so many spots anyway, but I think I hold off on putting Kulich in any deal now. Wahlberg/Helenius/Komarov are also off limits for me because of their long term positional value to the team.

That leaves '25 1st, Krebs, Jokijarju, Rosen, Ostlund, Neuchev, Johnson, as good trade pieces. I'd like to think we can find a top 6 winger for some combo of that either now or at the deadline.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
5 new players of 6 in the bottom 6 now. 2 new lines basically. 3-4 line looks good and top 6. I think sabres trade for a top 6 player at the deadline before playoffs . we reach it this season

Peterka Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
Zucker Mcleod Greenway
Malenstyn Lafferty Aube-Kubel

Dahlin Byram
Power Jokiharju
Samuelsson Clifton
This was my exact lineup as well to start. With Riemer backing up UPL and Levi starting in Rochester.

Really don’t like the thought of Jokiharju being saddled to Power though. We really needed a top 4 RHD

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
We don't have the cap space to afford Konecny's next contract with the upcoming contracts he will force us to trade one our D-men for sure. Sabres will probably trade for Necas though not sure what I wanna know what it's going to cost.

If you move Quinn, you are essentially swapping the RFAs you need to sign for a UFA.

And realistically, you could afford around 7-8M additions long term with everyone here.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Adams has done most of the things that he talked about doing his press availabilities after the Ruff hire and pre-draft and FA.

The only thing left on his To Do list is the top 6 F. And that was always going to be the hardest/costliest item to get done.

And if he does trade for an Ehlers or Necas or Zegras and people whine about the trade package going the other way...

Discontent comes in many flavors. There may be new ones if they do get a top six guy.

Or perhaps they think McLeod is that Hecht type to support say Tage and Tuch?

Reactions: HOOats and Jim Bob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad