The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don’t see where the goals are going to come from right now. Maybe everyone has a pendulum swing back toward 22-23 but man that’s a gamble

eventually they’ll take a leap forward that the model won’t account for, but I can’t see it next season

The first leap forward with Granato was not accounted for in these models.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Question came up regarding 'who is going to score goals?' Sabres need around 250 goals to be middle of the pack. Are these reasonable estimates?

Thompson - 30
Tuch - 20
Peterka - 30
Cozens - 20
Quinn - 25
Zucker - 20

Now things get interesting:

Greenway - 10
Benson - 15
Krebs - 10
Aube-kubell - 5
Lafferty - 10
Malenstin - 5

Dahlin - 20
Power - 5
Byram - 10
Rest of D - 10

That's around 245 - where they were last year. This is an optimistic picture - Dahlin or a top 6 goes down - they are screwed. It's weird to bet on Krebs for only 10 - he's never done it but seems to be gifted the ice time.

I only kind of believe this. It is both CYA and also he can't look desperate when it comes to trades. Even if it has no effect, he's got to say it.

I think Power is low. Krebs is high

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I said it before, but I think Benny is primed for a huge breakout barring a sophomore slump or injury (yes, I'm already priming myself for a letdown). He had a .980 PDO at 5v5 last year, never had consistent linemates, and somehow still managed 26 points at 5v5. Additionally, he had the worst penalty luck of any player I've ever seen.
Luck had nothing to do with it. It's quite clear he was targeted by the refs as some rookie hazing bs.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'd be very surprised to see another move of any substance for the NHL roster. I'm sure Kevyn believes his top-6 wings are fine with Tuch, JJ, Quinn, and one of Zucker or Benson. If one or more is injured or ineffective, he likely believes Kulich and Rosen are in a better position to play in the NHL next year and produce. As for the 3C, I am sure he perceives that as his biggest issue, but he's hoping that Krebs can handle -- and if Krebs can't, Adams feels he built a 4th line that can play more than an average 4th line, and he can go young at 3C (Savoie?) and shelter that player. With Ostlund and Helenius in the pipe, he probably feels he has that position covered further down the road. The bigger question is whether he will be around along enough to see that through.

Whether we agree with all, some or none of that, I think that's Adams' mindset right now.
Well, I wasn't wrong for about an hour.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
We've put all our chips on the idea Granato was such a bloody awful coach that the upgrade behind the bench has the same effect as a massive roster upgrade.
I don't think Granato was awful coach, he did a great job developing our young players and almost every player improved under him (except Krebs). We probably would have been in the playoffs in 22-23 if Adams had helped his coach a little.

Last season he experimented with the system unsuccessfully, plus there were injuries. Adams didn't replace Quinn with anyone, then took Mitts from Granato and didn't replace him with anyone either.

Even if Granato wasn't the coach who was supposed to take the next step with the team, Kevyn didn't help him much and it's strange that others don't notice.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Is Krebs gone or are they keeping him as a 13F? I wouldn't mind adding another winger, top 6 or top 9.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I really don't think another top 6 forward is in the offing.

Unless the plan is to play Zucker (or Benson?) on the 4th line with Lafferty and Malenstyn while NAK is the 13th forward. I suppose that's an option, I just don't see it.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Unless the plan is to play Zucker (or Benson?) on the 4th line with Lafferty and Malenstyn while NAK is the 13th forward. I suppose that's an option, I just don't see it.
Peterka/xxxx - Thompson - Tuch
Peterka/xxxx - Cozens - Quinn
Zucker - McLeod - Benson
Malenstyn - Lafferty - Greenway/NAK

Why not?

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL

I think Greenway would go to the 4th line.

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
(Acquisition)-Cozens-Quinn
Zucker-McLeod-Benson
Greenway-Lafferty-Malenstyn/NAK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad