The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
He's probably approaching bust territory at this point and not sure how his skill set would really help this team, can't see him leap frogging anybody really, even Gilbert/Bryson.
Then he gets waived and its not a hit against the cap. Many many many defensemen take years to develop especially ones that play on European Ice.

If Dahlin can help fix his defensive play
1720195513850.png

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
First projections just dropped

I think this one might end up being on the kind end of the spectrum when they’re all out. Prepare yourselves for a very hot summer everywhere but on the GM’s seat.

Last year he was off one whole point on his Sabres projection.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I just can't f***ng believe Kev looks at this roster and says, "yup, I did it." Like wtf?
I think he sees two shutdown lines in:

Greenway-Krebs-Benson
Krebs centered a good shutdown line that played top-9 minutes 2 years ago. So, not out of the realm of possibility he can do it again with better linemates. Risky business, though.

Beck-Lafferty- Aube-Kubel
Physical checking line. 2/3 of this line carried the Caps to the playoffs, and Lafferty has shown he can be a very good 4th line C.

And two scoring lines Ruff can assemble with the rest. Adams also wanted to be tougher to play against, and adding Beck, Aube-Kubel, Lafferty, and Zucker certainly brings a physical element this team has lacked for a long time. Adding them to Greenway and Tuch allows Ruff to put one physical presence on each line.

If the team buys into playing physical hockey and getting to the front of the net- I can see them making the playoffs. Cozens and Tage need to show the F up from the get-go, and having a *hopefully* healthy Quinn can be a game changing addition.

Lots of question marks, but I think that was going to be the case regardless if we added a top-9 C. If the core guys falter again, it doesn't matter much who was added.

Skinner and Greenway. Skinner did nothing. Krebs had two assists after Mitts moved and it wasn’t a lack of linemates. He was not good.
Ah, thanks for that. Skinner certainly is a black hole, but a lot of Krebs issues are self inflicted. I am intrigued to see what Ruff can do with him, though.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

Greenway-Krebs-Benson
Krebs centered a good shutdown line that played top-9 minutes 2 years ago. So, not out of the realm of possibility he can do it again with better linemates. Risky business, though.

Physical checking line. 2/3 of this line carried the Caps to the playoffs, and Lafferty has shown he can be a very good 4th line C.

And two scoring lines Ruff can assemble with the rest. Adams also wanted to be tougher to play against, and adding Beck, Aube-Kubel, Lafferty, and Zucker certainly brings a physical element this team has lacked for a long time. Adding them to Greenway and Tuch allows Ruff to put one physical presence on each line.

If the team buys into playing physical hockey and getting to the front of the net- I can see them making the playoffs. Cozens and Tage need to show the F up from the get-go, and having a *hopefully* healthy Quinn can be a game changing addition.

Lots of question marks, but I think that was going to be the case regardless if we added a top-9 C. If the core guys falter again, it doesn't matter much who was added.

Ah, thanks for that. Skinner certainly is a black hole, but a lot of Krebs issues are self inflicted. I am intrigued to see what Ruff can do with him, though.
Yeah I wonder if Adams is setting himself up for a move with defensive depth or just something he wanted to shore up (could be both). I don't think it's a horrible lineup but it can use some polishing. Some of these guys have never had competent NHL coaching so it will be interesting to see what their identity becomes.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

I think this one might end up being on the kind end of the spectrum when they’re all out. Prepare yourselves for a very hot summer everywhere but on the GM’s seat.

Nobody bets on youth. Lindy's best season with the Devils came when the GM added an experienced top 4 RD, a goalie, and an experienced mid-six forward.

Greenway-Krebs-Benson

I would prefer if all three lines could score.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I would like to see Lorentz as one more add in the jam/energy arena. They don’t have enough of those guys to cover if one is hurt IMO, no one internal who can come up.

I like the reasoning ... not sure I like the player. I thought he was just taking up space and not providing much for Florida in playoffs. Granted that is the only time I have seen him play

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Nobody bets on youth. Lindy's best season with the Devils came when the GM added an experienced top 4 RD, a goalie, and an experienced mid-six forward.

I would prefer if all three lines could score.
Scoring depth is definitely a concern.

Reactions: Fjordy

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Question came up regarding 'who is going to score goals?' Sabres need around 250 goals to be middle of the pack. Are these reasonable estimates?

Thompson - 30
Tuch - 20
Peterka - 30
Cozens - 20
Quinn - 25
Zucker - 20

Now things get interesting:

Greenway - 10
Benson - 15
Krebs - 10
Aube-kubell - 5
Lafferty - 10
Malenstin - 5

Dahlin - 20
Power - 5
Byram - 10
Rest of D - 10

That's around 245 - where they were last year. This is an optimistic picture - Dahlin or a top 6 goes down - they are screwed. It's weird to bet on Krebs for only 10 - he's never done it but seems to be gifted the ice time.

I just can't f***ng believe Kev looks at this roster and says, "yup, I did it." Like wtf?
I only kind of believe this. It is both CYA and also he can't look desperate when it comes to trades. Even if it has no effect, he's got to say it.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
W. Karlsson (M-NTC 10 team) Vegas is over the cap and their wingers are looking a little weak.

Roy (there is no trade protection)

Bennett (there is no trade protection)

Hartman (NMC)

Colton (NTC)

Kotkaniemi (there is no trade protection)

Drury (there is no trade protection)

McLeod (there is no trade protection) Oilers is over the cap

Novak (there is no trade protection)

Frost (there is no trade protection)

Gourde (M-NTC)

Dickinson (there is no trade protection)

Eller (there is no trade protection)

Suter (there is no trade protection)

Karlsson/Roy. Same 3 yrd left but Roy is $3M vs near 6 for K. Vegas idnt moving roy unless you are willing to give up Savoie.

Bennet is s UFA next summer that I dont see signing long term.

Drury I'd be ok with depending on price

Gourde for 2 yr I'm fine with

Not touching JK
Flip Benny with Zucker and this is how I see it. Zucker brings a speed and shoot first element that the Krebs line sorely lacks (his 150 shots last year would have ranked 7th on the Sabres).

I said it before, but I think Benny is primed for a huge breakout barring a sophomore slump or injury (yes, I'm already priming myself for a letdown). He had a .980 PDO at 5v5 last year, never had consistent linemates, and somehow still managed 26 points at 5v5. Additionally, he had the worst penalty luck of any player I've ever seen.

I think Krebs would br better with 2 vets.

If benson gets hurt, they call up one of ELC from Rochester

I would love Adams to sign Adam Boqvist. Touted as the second best defenseman in the draft next to Dahlin.

I'm fine signing him to a 1 yr contract or low 2 yr.
I would like to see Lorentz as one more add in the jam/energy arena. They don’t have enough of those guys to cover if one is hurt IMO, no one internal who can come up.

As a UFA does he want tu o go somewhere and ride the presdbox? Does he want more money/term?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Question came up regarding 'who is going to score goals?' Sabres need around 250 goals to be middle of the pack. Are these reasonable estimates?

Thompson - 30
Tuch - 20
Peterka - 30
Cozens - 20
Quinn - 25
Zucker - 20

Greenway - 10
Benson - 15
Krebs - 10
Aube-kubell - 5
Lafferty - 10
Malenstin - 5

Dahlin - 20
Power - 5
Byram - 10
Rest of D - 10

That's around 245 - where they were last year. This is an optimistic picture - Dahlin or a top 6 goes down - they are screwed. It's weird to bet on Krebs for only 10 - he's never done it but seems to be gifted the ice time.

I only kind of believe this. It is both CYA and also he can't look desperate when it comes to trades. Even if it has no effect, he's got to say it.

I don’t mean to be a downer but some of those seem optimistic. Lafferty has only two seasons with at least 10 goals. Krebs has never had one. The “rest” of the blueline is more likely to be zero goals than ten.

Reactions: enthusiast

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It’s funny watching him step on rakes when he doesn’t have to. During his free agent day presser he talked about still being open to adding a top 6 forward. But he couldn’t help himself with the “I love this team right now” comments. :facepalm:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Karlsson/Roy. Same 3 yrd left but Roy is $3M vs near 6 for K. Vegas idnt moving roy unless you are willing to give up Savoie.

Bennet is s UFA next summer that I dont see signing long term.

Drury I'd be ok with depending on price

Gourde for 2 yr I'm fine with

Not touching JK

I think Krebs would br better with 2 vets.

If benson gets hurt, they call up one of ELC from Rochester

I'm fine signing him to a 1 yr contract or low 2 yr.

As a UFA does he want tu o go somewhere and ride the presdbox? Does he want more money/term?

With so many teams already set, I don’t think he’s going to be in the “hey I have demands” sort.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Thompson - 30
Tuch - 20
Peterka - 30
Cozens - 20
Quinn - 25
Zucker - 20

Greenway - 10
Benson - 15
Krebs - 10
Aube-kubell - 5
Lafferty - 10
Malenstin - 5

Dahlin - 20
Power - 5
Byram - 10
Rest of D - 10

If Tage and Tuch combine for 50 then we're screwed. That's less that they combined for last year, in injury riddled down years. They should be around 60 at least, and if things go well then 70.

Same for Cozens and Quinn, if the two big guns from our second line combine for 45 then we'll be looking for a new core a year from now. They should be approaching 55-60 goals combined.

But the projection for the krebs line is the scary part. Secondary scoring for this team seems to start and end with the Cozens line, there's just not much scoring potential in that bottom 6.

Last edited:

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Thompson - 30,072
Tuch - 20
Peterka - 30
Cozens - 20
Quinn - 25
Zucker - 20

Greenway - 10
Benson - 15
Krebs - 10
Aube-kubell - 5
Lafferty - 10
Malenstin - 5

Dahlin - 20
Power - 5
Byram - 10
Rest of D - 10
I took a stab at it.

Reactions: Beerz

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I don’t mean to be a downer but some of those seem optimistic. Lafferty has only two seasons with at least 10 goals. Krebs has never had one. The “rest” of the blueline is more likely to be zero goals than ten.

and some seem a little less than optimistic. Tage had 38 and 47 the two years before last. Cozens had 31 the year before. So it seems they took the lower end projections for Tage and Cozens. I think Tage and cozens pitching in an extra 20-30 goals is more likely than some of the stuff you pointed out

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I know - that's why I said it's optimistic. They 100% need a top 6 upgrade. They need Cozens and Thompson to score like $7m players. They need more offense from Power (who has no career track record of doing that at any level). Quinn can't get hurt.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I have a feeling that Jokiharju will file for arbitration.

I don't think UPL will, but I might be wrong if he doesn't like how negotiations have gone so far.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Krebs spent his first 70 or so games in the top 9. His most common linemate his first year was Cozens. He didn’t play with Girgs during that stretch of games and hardly with Okposo (around 20%).

Krebs ended up with Girgs/Okposo after struggling in that 70gm opportunity. Basically he “earned” his way onto that line. Since he wasn’t comfortable on the wing, he was stuck there with Tage/Cozens/Mitts ahead of him at center.

Kyle OKPOSO - PEYTON KREBS - ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS JU PETERKA - VICTOR OLOFSSON - PEYTON KREBS VICTOR OLOFSSON - KYLE OKPOSO - PEYTON KREBS ERIC ROBINSON - KYLE OKPOSO - PEYTON KREBS

ERIC ROBINSON - PEYTON KREBS - ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS VICTOR OLOFSSON - KYLE OKPOSO - PEYTON KREBS JJ PETERKA - PEYTON KREBS - ZACH BENSON

ERIC ROBINSON - PEYTON KREBS - ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS VICTOR OLOFSSON - PEYTON KREBS - ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS

JEFF SKINNER - PEYTON KREBS - JORDAN GREENWAY

JEFF SKINNER - JJ PETERKA - PEYTON KREBS JEFF SKINNER - LUKAS ROUSEK - PEYTON KREBS

According to

Kyle OKPOSO - PEYTON KREBS - ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS JU PETERKA - VICTOR OLOFSSON - PEYTON KREBS VICTOR OLOFSSON - KYLE OKPOSO - PEYTON KREBS ERIC ROBINSON - KYLE OKPOSO - PEYTON KREBS

ERIC ROBINSON - PEYTON KREBS - ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS VICTOR OLOFSSON - KYLE OKPOSO - PEYTON KREBS JJ PETERKA - PEYTON KREBS - ZACH BENSON

ERIC ROBINSON - PEYTON KREBS - ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS VICTOR OLOFSSON - PEYTON KREBS - ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS

JEFF SKINNER - PEYTON KREBS - JORDAN GREENWAY

JEFF SKINNER - JJ PETERKA - PEYTON KREBS JEFF SKINNER - LUKAS ROUSEK - PEYTON KREBS

According to
This is for last year

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'd be very surprised to see another move of any substance for the NHL roster. I'm sure Kevyn believes his top-6 wings are fine with Tuch, JJ, Quinn, and one of Zucker or Benson. If one or more is injured or ineffective, he likely believes Kulich and Rosen are in a better position to play in the NHL next year and produce. As for the 3C, I am sure he perceives that as his biggest issue, but he's hoping that Krebs can handle -- and if Krebs can't, Adams feels he built a 4th line that can play more than an average 4th line, and he can go young at 3C (Savoie?) and shelter that player. With Ostlund and Helenius in the pipe, he probably feels he has that position covered further down the road. The bigger question is whether he will be around along enough to see that through.

Whether we agree with all, some or none of that, I think that's Adams' mindset right now.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I don’t see where the goals are going to come from right now. Maybe everyone has a pendulum swing back toward 22-23 but man that’s a gamble

eventually they’ll take a leap forward that the model won’t account for, but I can’t see it next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad