The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
I would like to see something like that. I think Matty can surprise in camp and preseason games. Benson could be the second line and Zucker the third, but that's my bet for now. Benson and Matty also have good chemistry.

Peterka - Thompson - Tuch
Zucker - Cozens - Quinn
Benson - Savoie - Greenway
Malenstyn - Lafferty - NAK

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Clifton
Samuelsson - Jokiharju

Scratch:

Gilbert
Krebs
Rousek

If Krebs dont get the chance he Will never be able to improve. Play Krebs as 3 c .

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Looking at how last year ended -

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch: Peterka gave them the speed to stretch things out that Skinner could not. They did not defend all that well IMO and both Tage and Alex struggled with health.

(Zucker)-Cozens-Quinn: Can Quinn stay healthy? Will Cozens not be a dumbass and show up ready to play? Is Zucker spent?

Benson-Krebs-Greenway: Krebs is not Mitts thus far but Mitts was also a disaster for a long time. The biggest point of growth could be here.

Malenstyn-Lafferty-Aube-Kubel: At first glace, looks like this line will get doing the physical play that draws the crowd and the rest of the team into the game. Not sure if Beck and Nick are going to be the same away from Dowd, but they do have 2/3rd of the Caps "hard assignment" line.

Rousek - spare.

I don't see them finding a way to improve the top 6 without it involving dealing part of the current top 6 in the manner they have operated.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch: Peterka gave them the speed to stretch things out that Skinner could not. They did not defend all that well IMO and both Tage and Alex struggled with health.

(Zucker)-Cozens-Quinn: Can Quinn stay healthy? Will Cozens not be a dumbass and show up ready to play? Is Zucker spent?

Benson-Krebs-Greenway: Krebs is not Mitts thus far but Mitts was also a disaster for a long time. The biggest point of growth could be here.

Malenstyn-Lafferty-Aube-Kubel: At first glace, looks like this line will get doing the physical play that draws the crowd and the rest of the team into the game. Not sure if Beck and Nick are going to be the same away from Dowd, but they do have 2/3rd of the Caps "hard assignment" line.

Rousek - spare.

I don't see them finding a way to improve the top 6 without it involving dealing part of the current top 6 in the manner they have operated.
That’s my problem with trading for a top 6 player too I just don’t think teams are gonna take just futures

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Rousek - spare.

Too many question marks.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Luck is a man made invention that doesn't exist to help explain what most people don't understand. Math and physics.

Luck in sports can happen when things totally outside of your team's control ends up helping them. For example, every team around you in the wild card race losing at the most critical time of the season (more than they would be expected to) is lucky if you are trying the make the playoffs.

Or the other team's top player getting injured, etc.

Reactions: thewookie1

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
It's a small contingent around these parts, but I'm right there with you. I still think they've got something with Krebs and I'm hoping that some of the shuffling in the bottom 6 helps him take a step forward this year.

I'm on the fence, BUT I think he's going to be put in a position to succeed. Having a legit 4th line to bring the energy and tilt the ice is going to go a long ways in terms of affecting the overall play of the team.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I'm on the fence, BUT I think he's going to be put in a position to succeed. Having a legit 4th line to bring the energy and tilt the ice is going to go a long ways in terms of affecting the overall play of the team.
I see Benson/Krebs/Greenway bringing the chaos — in a good, non-Skinnerish kind of way. 35-40 points for Krebs is definitely achievable, baring injury.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I think Krebs surprises to the upside this season. I still have faith in the kid.
Same, he has the vision and the IQ to succeed in a structured role, basically knowing what he has to do each and every shift. Under Donny, he had such a mismatch of linemates and seemed like he needed to think instead of react because he had no idea what or where his linemates were gunna be. There were a bunch of times he would throw something in the slot and it would just go cross ice because nobody was there. It also seemed like when he first came over he wanted to go to the net and that seems to have been coached out of the team. Let him get an off-season where he can train, get bigger and embrace his role. If he flops, you gotta address it before the trade deadline.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So something with a possible Benson-Krebs-Greenway line would be two of the most responsible defensive players on the wing. In a way, it's a bit like an upskilled version of what Krebs was doing with Okposo and Girgensons. Benson draws contact and contests pucks better than anyone on the team. Greenway does drive the net and imposes his size. It could actually work.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I think he meant that we'd have to trade a roster player to upgrade a spot
I know that’s what I mean, we really don’t have roster players we can afford to move and the ones we can don’t push the needle on those trades so it’s like kind of no man’s land area

Because we essentially only have futures (prospects included) to really offer without making more holes on the team imo

So something with a possible Benson-Krebs-Greenway line would be two of the most responsible defensive players on the wing. In a way, it's a bit like an upskilled version of what Krebs was doing with Okposo and Girgensons. Benson draws contact and contests pucks better than anyone on the team. Greenway does drive the net and imposes his size. It could actually work.
Yeah that’s what I have the third line as right now

JJ - Tage - Tuch
Zucker - Cozens - Quinn
Benson - Krebs - Greenway

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I know that’s what I mean, we really don’t have roster players we can afford to move and the ones we can don’t push the needle on those trades so it’s like kind of no man’s land area

Because we essentially only have futures (prospects included) to really offer without making more holes on the team imo

Yeah that’s what I have the third line as right now

JJ - Tage - Tuch
Zucker - Cozens - Quinn
Benson - Krebs - Greenway
Gotcha. I don't think Krebs is turning many heads out there but if you attach some futures it may work. I don't see anyone in the top 6 moving though.

On the other hand, Krebs has a QO but no contract yet. Adams mentioned talking to some teams that were waiting until the dust settled from FA. We're all hoping Adams still has a trick up his sleeve.

Reactions: RWatson29

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The problem is that it gives us two lines that will never score. All the pressure on a top six without a real playmaker who already fell flat on their faces last year. A top six counting on Zucker in a key role? And for the PP to Turn all the way around based on nothing but Seth Appert.

If they’re going with Krebs at 3C they need a massive top six acquisition. Not just to give them a shot at carrying the entire 5 on 5 scoring…but to help that PP and guard against inevitable injury that destroys the whole thing.

If they’re going with any actual hope to win…they need to add a better center than Krebs. Christ imagine one injury to Tage or Cozens. Suddenly the subpar 3C is the 2C. And the drought is 14 years. This running it barebones and crossing fingers for the best, unproven outcome is a bad call.

This roster isn’t it.

And year 14 isn’t the year to sit on assets and cap space in hopes that a guy with 4 goals last year who showed nothing in his chance at 3C last year suddenly shows us something he never has before.

Right now this offseason is the same as last year when Quinn went down. This time it’s a failure to replace Mittelstadt. You have a massive hole and not only the means to fill it…but an obligation to. Last year he did nothing and watched the offense burn. Tick tock.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The problem is that it gives us two lines that will never score. All the pressure on a top six without a real playmaker who already fell flat on their faces last year. A top six counting on Zucker in a key role? And for the PP to Turn all the way around based on nothing but Seth Appert.
What is their job? Is it to be a forechecking menace and continue to push the forecheck over from the Lafferty line? That's what it looks like at the moment, even flipping Zucker or Benson around. They haven't had roles under Granato other than "skate fast, don't hit" and try to score on the rush. They haven't tried to establish cycle and they now have two lines that look like they should be able to at least do that.

If they’re going with Krebs at 3C they need a massive top six acquisition. Not just to give them a shot at carrying the entire 5 on 5 scoring…but to help that PP and guard against inevitable injury that destroys the whole thing.

At the moment, that's going to be moving one of Peterka, Quinn or Thompson for an improvement.

If they’re going with any actual hope to win…they need to add a better center than Krebs. Christ imagine one injury to Tage or Cozens. Suddenly the subpar 3C is the 2C. And the drought is 14 years. This running it barebones and crossing fingers for the best, unproven outcome is a bad call.

That's why I didn't like the Byram deal and think their work in the middle is sorely lacking having watched dozens of games of Kulich in the middle, scores of games of Savoie, and some games of Helenius... they don't have the horses yet and it's precariously thin.

This roster isn’t it.

No shit.

And year 14 isn’t the year to sit on assets and cap space in hopes that a guy with 4 goals last year who showed nothing in his chance at 3C last year suddenly shows us something he never has before.

We're talking about what they have at the moment. That's all. That isn't an endorsement or an apology or request that people like it. FFS.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It's a small contingent around these parts, but I'm right there with you. I still think they've got something with Krebs and I'm hoping that some of the shuffling in the bottom 6 helps him take a step forward this year.
I dont totally dismiss Krebs. He just finished his ELC but he didnt serm to get the opportunity to develop.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Who’s gonna score the goals? Seems like playmakers without a trigger man

Reactions: Aladyyn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad