The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You need to step away from the ledge.

Why would buying out Skinner then immediately giving up a ransom for a guy like Zegras make any sense what so ever?

As if Zegras is the difference between us making or missing the playoffs... There's a reason why Anaheim is shopping him.
It makes more sense to me than buying out Skinner and replacing him with Jason Zucker.

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
There is some tabloid-driven animosity towards Zegras on this board. I trust the Ducks fans who know better. I also have a few Russian Ducks fans who know this stuff well.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I'd do it. (But swap Kulich in for Savoie).

What do we want our 3rd line to identify as? We have our new toy in a 4th line that can grind, block shots and hit, and they have speed. So what's the 3rd line supposed to be? I want them to be able to score nearly as much as the 2nd line and with our top 6 injury history, I don't want some grinding 3rd line C (Like krebs) behind forced into a scoring line they can not handle.

Edit: the last time this team was a true contender they had 3 true scoring lines. Not 6 guys that can score and 2 defensive minded 'checking' lines.
Once again - there's a huge space between the extremes. But just because i don't want to add a skill only floater who is completely useless defensively like Zegras, it must mean that I'm only interested in adding goons....

I'd also take a look at previous contending teams we've had under Ruff (as well as other contending teams around the league present day). The Drury line was always defence first, great matchup line. Even the Briere line wasn't horrible defensively. The only floater on that team was Afinogenov & he didn't last for very long.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
A good shot to me is fifty/fifty. They are a bubble team, through and through.
The range of possible outcomes is so wide for this team that I can't get to them being 50/50 to make it.

I think they are a 20-30% shot at making it right now.

Once again - there's a huge space between the extremes. But just because i don't want to add a skill only floater who is completely useless defensively like Zegras, it must mean that I'm only interested in adding goons....

I'd also take a look at previous contending teams we've had under Ruff (as well as other contending teams around the league present day). The Drury line was always defence first, great matchup line. Even the Briere line wasn't horrible defensively. The only floater on that team was Afinogenov & he didn't last for very long.
Zegras's possession numbers are really good for a guy that is completely useless defensively.

:dunno:

Reactions: Selanne00008

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
It makes more sense to me than buying out Skinner and replacing him with Jason Zucker.
It's clear that Zucker is a one year placeholder. Buying Skinner out next offseason for him to be replaced by one of the prospects always made most sense. I don't think we're far from that - we just have Zucker for one year in the mean time. Hopefully he will provide some much needed leadership.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's clear that Zucker is a one year placeholder. Buying Skinner out next offseason for him to be replaced by one of the prospects always made most sense. I don't think we're far from that - we just have Zucker for one year in the mean time. Hopefully he will provide some much needed leadership.
He is a really bad placeholder in a "Win Now" season.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
He is a really bad placeholder in a "Win Now" season.
Giving up a ransom for Zegras then having to fit him into the long term cap structure is much more of a problem.

And while Adams talks about 'winning now' - he isn't going to be going all in to the point that no season beyond this one matters...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Giving up a ransom for Zegras then having to fit him into the long term cap structure is much more of a problem.

And while Adams talks about 'winning now' - he isn't going to be going all in to the point that no season beyond this one matters...
Given how long Zegras has been on the trade block and the season he is coming off of, I doubt the trade cost would be a king's ransom.

And I have no idea how acquiring a guy as young as Zegras is acting like nothing beyond this season matters. He would be as much of the ongoing plan as Byram was when he was traded for.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Yes, and I know that'll be unpopular until Krebs lives up to my belief in him.
I respect your commitment as Krebs' #1 fan and I hope like hell you're right.

I think Vegas would want much more for a 27yo 6'4 C who had 0.59 PPG last year with excellent defensive metrics. He's already realized all of Krebs' potential and is two weight classes bigger. Frankly, it would be ridiculous to balk at Krebs as the centerpiece for him.

Benson-Roy-Greenway would be a terror of a 3rd line to play against.

Roy makes $3M for three more seasons though so he's a bargain piece for Vegas that would be near impossible to pry away.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Yes, and I know that'll be unpopular until Krebs lives up to my belief in him.
So you want trades, multiple 'top six' acquisitions, etc. But you also don't want to give up anything?!

Including the RFAs we'll have 12 F signed to NHL contracts. None of these players should be spending too much time in the press box. You also have Rosen D+4, Kulich, Savoie, Ostlund D+3, Helenius D+1, former R1 picks who could all be in the picture. Where the hell do you fit everyone in, both this year and beyond ?

BTW I'm somewhat with you on Krebs. I'm not sure he'll ever develop into what we hoped when acquiring him - but his dog house status on this forum is not deserved.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So you want trades, multiple 'top six' acquisitions, etc. But you also don't want to give up anything?!

Including the RFAs we'll have 12 F signed to NHL contracts. None of these players should be spending too much time in the press box. You also have Rosen D+4, Kulich, Savoie, Ostlund D+3, Helenius D+1, former R1 picks who could all be in the picture. Where the hell do you fit everyone in, both this year and beyond ?

BTW I'm somewhat with you on Krebs. I'm not sure he'll ever develop into what we hoped when acquiring him - but his dog house status on this forum is not deserved.

Some guys it takes a long time to make it. - Vinny Prospal

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020

I expect Rosen, Kulich and Savoie all to get time with the Sabres this year, but probably not on opening night.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Given how long Zegras has been on the trade block and the season he is coming off of, I doubt the trade cost would be a king's ransom.

And I have no idea how acquiring a guy as young as Zegras is acting like nothing beyond this season matters. He would be as much of the ongoing plan as Byram was when he was traded for.
I'd suggest a high asking price is exactly the reason he's not moved yet.

Fitting Zegras long term would mean he takes the place of one of the prospects, who will be on much cheaper contracts.

You can't compare this hypothetical situation to Byram because we have no comparable D prospects to Rosen/Savoie/Kulich/Ostlund/Helenius.

I expect Rosen, Kulich and Savoie all to get time with the Sabres this year, but probably not on opening night.
I don't see how they all fit, TBH. And that's not even accounting for any of these proposed additions being discussed.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd suggest a high asking price is exactly the reason he's not moved yet.

Fitting Zegras long term would mean he takes the place of one of the prospects, who will be on much cheaper contracts.

You can't compare this hypothetical situation to Byram because we have no comparable D prospects to Rosen/Savoie/Kulich/Ostlund/Helenius.
Or, they make trades to improve the roster either by moving a top six winger like Zegras, Peterka, or Quinn if one of the prospects is banging down the door.

Passing on adding a young, talented NHLer because a prospect might be better than him in a couple of years is not what this team needs to be doing to take the next step. Adding talented players is never a bad idea.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Or, they make trades to improve the roster either by moving a top six winger like Zegras, Peterka, or Quinn if one of the prospects is banging down the door.

Passing on adding a young, talented NHLer because a prospect might be better than him in a couple of years is not what this team needs to be doing to take the next step. Adding talented players is never a bad idea.
Absolutely, we don't know what will come out of our prospects, but the problem is that there are too many of them, and we already have guys like Thompson, Cozens, Tuch, Quinn, Peterka and Benson, who are the core. And if you look at our attacking prospects, there are just too many of them, there will be no room for most of them: Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Wahlberg, Ostlund, Helenius. Guys like Neuchev and Poltapov can also surprise and be middle-six players.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I don't see how they all fit, TBH. And that's not even accounting for any of these proposed additions being discussed.
They don't. But you need to account for injuries in the top-nine. A few games here and there for each, at least. In case of a big injury, one or more of them may finish the season here.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Absolutely, we don't know what will come out of our prospects, but the problem is that there are too many of them, and we already have guys like Thompson, Cozens, Tuch, Quinn, Peterka and Benson, who are the core. And if you look at our attacking prospects, there are just too many of them, there will be no room for most of them: Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Wahlberg, Ostlund, Helenius. Guys like Neuchev and Poltapov can also surprise and be middle-six players.
Östlund and Rosen are the obvious extraneous ones after this draft - Konsta is more of what we need then Östlund at that 3 c eventually…unless we trade cozens or tage ( or move one to wing)

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If I were a betting man on the forward lines and the talk of using Cozens for a two way setup:

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch - Top line
Greenway-Cozens-Benson - Two way/Matchup line
Zucker-Savoie/Kulich- Quinn - Sheltered offensive line
Malenstyn-Lafferty-NUK
Krebs

I think the 3C spot is going to be open competition.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
This is the first time I've agreed with you for a while.

How do you fix the situation? It's certainly not by adding players you have to commit to before you really know what you have in all these young guys.

Also to @Jim Bob - BTW I'm not completely averse to making trades to improve the team. I'd give up the farm if Brady Tkachuk were available. Similar case for a guy like Lawson Crouse to a lesser extent. I've even said here that a McGroarty prospect swap may make a lot of sense. But making splash moves for players that don't really fit, makes no sense to me.

And if there is a trade for a long term roster player I too could see a Quinn or a Peterka being moved before the younger guys purely from a cap standpoint...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad