The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'd do it. (But swap Kulich in for Savoie).

What do we want our 3rd line to identify as? We have our new toy in a 4th line that can grind, block shots and hit, and they have speed. So what's the 3rd line supposed to be? I want them to be able to score nearly as much as the 2nd line and with our top 6 injury history, I don't want some grinding 3rd line C (Like krebs) behind forced into a scoring line they can not handle.

Edit: the last time this team was a true contender they had 3 true scoring lines. Not 6 guys that can score and 2 defensive minded 'checking' lines.
We only had 2 scoring lines if you’re talking about the co-captains era. The Grier/Drury line was not a scoring line. It was a two way/match up line. Its offensive capabilities hinged on whatever winger was cycling through on the other side.

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I disagree. You guys need to start giving Adams more credit. Whatever you might think of him/Pegula/this management group... Nobody at this level is incompetent to the degree they are made out to be on here.

The Mitts decision was two fold. One - Adams clearly didn't want to commit to paying a third, offensively biased centre big money, long term. It makes sense given what he's already commited to TT/Cozens, along with prospects he has in the system, combined with the long term salary / cap structure.

Secondly - he acquired a key piece in Byram. We'd clearly needed to make a big F for D hockey trade for a number of years - this was it. Don't act like Adams gave Mitts away for nothing or that he let him walk via UFA.
I don't know this is true but if so, the idea that paying about 21 mil to three decent Cs is too much is not really looking at the big picture. If Mitts signed for 7x7, the team would have all three at 21 mil for the next six seasons (TT and Cozens deals ending a year earlier). By 2030, would you like to guess or imagine what three top Cs would cost most teams. Right now there are sevens teams paying their top 3 Cs that much, and another seven teams paying at least 18 mil for their top 3 Cs. It would be a great cap value for all three at 21 mil for six years. It would also provide roster flexibility, and if a prospect ever forced somebody out that C would either move to wing or get traded for a good return.

What Buffalo wouldn't have though, is a big roster hole with only hopes for prospects to develop in another 2-4 years, and lame pressers where KA says how hard it is to make trades for impact players.

As for Byram, many posters have echoed my concerns for a type of player that filled a need, not another offense-only LHD. How would we all feel if KA traded Jack Quinn for Carter Hart or Spencer Knight? Ok great...value is about right, but why the hell do we need another promising young goalie for a type of RH FW that we don't have enough of?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fjordy

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
What are you basing that on? I only see one pure defensive line.
Zucker Krebs Greenway doesn't exactly scream scoring threat.

That is, until Benson arrives because he added a Zegras, and then things get interesting...

I was super down on Zegras. And while I would still question the move, his possession numbers were waaay better than I expected.

View attachment 891892

At this point, I'd probably prefer Zegras over Necas or Ehlers. I just wonder what the trade ask is for each.
He wasn't even in my top 10 of favorite summer ideas....but we are where we are.

He's now my #1 idea, by a mile.

Reactions: Selanne00008

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He wasn't even in my top 10 of favorite summer ideas....but we are where we are.

He's now my #1 idea, by a mile.
I would put Karlsson or Roy ahead of Zegras.

But, Zegras being signed for this year and next and being an RFA in summer 2026 is way more of a good idea than Necas or Ehlers who will likely both need long term, big money deals before they play a single game as a Sabre.

:thumbd:

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
  • Wow
Reactions: Selanne00008

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

But, Zegras being signed for this year and next and being an RFA in summer 2026 is way more of a good idea than Necas or Ehlers who will likely both need long term, big money deals before they play a single game as a Sabre.

They could easily add both Zegras and a center who wouldn't cost much. Guys like Eller or Suter wouldn't cost much. Colton is a two-year UFA. Maybe Gourde, Novak or Dickinson. I don't think Drury is untouchable in Carolina and I think they might be interested in a guy like Rosen.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

I'm forced to stick with current realistic targets, and Zegras 1) doesnt have a NTC to worry about, 2) has been known to be available for like a year, and Buffalo has even been rumored on that.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
From what I've seen I'm comfortable with having Johnson ahead of Bryson, and he obviously brings a different game to Gilbert. I could see him being a guy who they call up at some point & never send back down.

Jokiharju has to be the odd man out. Id be fine getting any type of asset/s for him, he's got to be worth a semi decent pick at the very least.
Johnson is ahead of Bryson but Bryson should be the one on the big club sitting in the pressbox while Johnson plays regularly in Roch.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Trading for Zegras makes absolutely no sense... He's the polar opposite of what we need to add.
What's the problem with Zegras? He's a great, positive guy, a talented playmaker, and he's moved into defense. He seems like a perfect fit on LW with Cozens or Thompson. He fits perfectly into the core team, he will help on the PP and create chances for our shooters. I think I trust the Anaheim fans more than the tabloids.
Zegras.jpg

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I have not seen a solid date for when the deal would close.

When there was the original announcement, there was no hard date put forth for when the deal would close. And I will be surprised that lawyers are working on Friday July 5th.

:dunno:

These same sources stressed that both the Capitals and CapFriendly wanted the site to be publicly available and independently operated through the 2024 NHL Draft and the start of free agency, so it is not expected the sale will be official until at least July 5.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Good and if they suck they can fire Ruff, Adams and trade Thompson and Cozens. Start over again and make this drought 30 years.

That's what it sounds like most of negative Nancys want. All you guys do is whine cause our core doesn't fit. If they don't fit than trade them and start over again.
I'd rather be criticizing and having a discussions about the team and players, than keeping my fingers in my ears and head in the sand when people analyze the team and come to any sort of negative conclusion that I couldn't take.
No need to blow the team up. Incremental compounding improvements. It takes more than three or four seasons to turn the 2021 Sabres into a contender, no matter how much the fans really want it with all their hearts.

Adams is just the GM. He ain't a f***ing genie. :)
Nobody is currently asking to blow up the team. They are frustrated at the holes that remain on the team, which have been discussed about for years, that they haven't seen the team they want to see competitive, kick the can for years to address. And when they finally received a presser that sounded to them that management is showing some urgency, and the holes remain on the team. The actions from the GM aren't good enough, and that feeling of "not good enough" has been around for years, and to make matters worse, it's 100% on the doing BY the GM.
That's how I feel. They should continue to add to this core.

My response is for the Negative Nancys who are against everything this team does.
I'm curious how much and where you think they should add to the core. Because right now Levi seems to be their future goalie. They have 2 centers, 2 wingers, and 3-4 defenseman.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

These same sources stressed that both the Capitals and CapFriendly wanted the site to be publicly available and independently operated through the 2024 NHL Draft and the start of free agency, so it is not expected the sale will be official until at least July 5.
Like I said, good luck getting this done on a Friday, July 5th.

I bet it takes until next week for it to close given the holiday.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Added enough steak, time for some sizzle.

Roy only makes sense now if Krebs goes the other way, and you know I'm not agreeing to that.
With Eichel, Hertl, and Karlsson, I don't know if Vegas is hunting for a guy like Krebs, even if they know him well.

With the Holtz trade, they might be hunting for Rosen, Kulich, Savoie type young forwards who are close to NHL ready.

And I think Roy has 2nd line ability if they want to move Cozens to the wing. Adding Roy and Zegras would just mean that there are no roster spots for Savoie, Rousek, Rosen, and Kulich barring an injury. That wouldn't be a bad thing if they want to "Win Now."

Reactions: Gabrielor

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Hard disagree. Creative playmaker next to Tage is exactly the kind of Skinner replacement that would actually elevate the team. The bottom 6 is a pure defensive bottom 6 now. The top 6 needs more offense.

Good age profile. Character risk, but at this point, there's only 2-3 other options at all, or we sit on our hands and pick 9th in 2025 while having the same conversation.
You need to step away from the ledge.

Why would buying out Skinner then immediately giving up a ransom for a guy like Zegras make any sense what so ever?

As if Zegras is the difference between us making or missing the playoffs... There's a reason why Anaheim is shopping him.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Why would buying out Skinner then immediately giving up a ransom for a guy like Zegras make any sense what so ever?

As if Zegras is the difference between us making or missing the playoffs... There's a reason why Anaheim is shopping him.
1) I'm over the ledge

2) Why would I want to replace Skinner in the top 6 with another top 6 foward?

Kevyn, is that you?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Because Verbeek is obsessed with physical strength and size for his team.

Zegras will make our team better here and now and more diverse, we probably don't even have a playmaker in f like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad