The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hornqvist, Sheary, Hagelin. I think the Sabres can match that with Benson and Savoie, if he makes it.

I see more of a net front presense gap.

I don't see either of those guys being close to Hornqvist and none of the Sabres top 2 can punk someone like Sid Ballsplitter Crosby and Geno Suckerpunch Malkin.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Who do you remove or how do you shuffle the forward core to make room for 2 players? KA didn't trade for Malenstyn and sign Lafferty and NAK to ride the press box. They have 2/3rds of what was one of the best 4th lines in the league last year. That's a 4th line that is going to piss off a lot of other teams and do a lot of the heavy lifting in the defensive zone.
You're right that we don't have room for two forwards. We do have room for one forward.

If it's a 3C then Krebs sits in the press box. If it's a 2W then Zucker slots down to 3 and Greenway to 4, with NAK in the press box sometimes. He played AHL games last year. He's the worst forward on the team right now despite his usefulness in role.

Reactions: Fjordy

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Cozens played his best hockey during the few times Donny used him as a two way/matchup center. That usage plays to his natural instincts and he doesn’t have to think as much. Ruff plans on using him that way full time.
I agree, and those times it wasn't under as much "structure".

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Based on his play so far as a Buffalo Sabre, I think there's a greater case that can be made that he does better with less structure. Where Cozens gets in trouble, is when he has to think instead of relying on his instincts. I doubt Ruff will be able to coach him up to a level so quickly to get him to play instinctually "within the structure". Expect a slow start from Cozens and probably a few other players (like Thompson as well) as they get acclimated to a coaching staff that "holds them accountable" and teaches them to play a more rounded game.
Good and if they suck they can fire Ruff, Adams and trade Thompson and Cozens. Start over again and make this drought 30 years.

That's what it sounds like most of negative Nancys want. All you guys do is whine cause our core doesn't fit. If they don't fit than trade them and start over again.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Marty was beating the Gilbert 6-8D drum this week. Lindy type of physical player.
Yeah, makes perfect sense for a Zegras trade.

1st-2025 (Top 10 protection)
Matthew Savoie
One of Ryan Johnson or Henri Jokiharju

for

Trevor Zegras

suddenly the offseason makes alot more sense and looks a lot better in one move. and it's a move ANA fans didn't seem to hate either.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Yes, and this team is still not in the playoffs. Last season was a regression, not a playoff as we expected. Again, I will say again that Adams does not finish his job, he takes risks and loses several seasons in a row. But if he had not taken risks, we would already be in the playoffs.
Last year was not a regression. The previous year was a mirage.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Yeah, makes perfect sense for a Zegras trade.

1st-2025 (Top 10 protection)
Matthew Savoie
One of Ryan Johnson or Henri Jokiharju

for

Trevor Zegras

suddenly the offseason makes alot more sense and looks a lot better in one move. and it's a move ANA fans didn't seem to hate either.
Trading for Zegras makes absolutely no sense... He's the polar opposite of what we need to add.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
If that's the case blow the team up again and hopefully by 2050 they make the playoffs.
No need to blow the team up. Incremental compounding improvements. It takes more than three or four seasons to turn the 2021 Sabres into a contender, no matter how much the fans really want it with all their hearts.

Adams is just the GM. He ain't a f***ing genie. :)

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Trading for Zegras makes absolutely no sense... He's the polar opposite of what we need to add.

I'd do it. (But swap Kulich in for Savoie).

What do we want our 3rd line to identify as? We have our new toy in a 4th line that can grind, block shots and hit, and they have speed. So what's the 3rd line supposed to be? I want them to be able to score nearly as much as the 2nd line and with our top 6 injury history, I don't want some grinding 3rd line C (Like krebs) behind forced into a scoring line they can not handle.

Edit: the last time this team was a true contender they had 3 true scoring lines. Not 6 guys that can score and 2 defensive minded 'checking' lines.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Hard disagree. Creative playmaker next to Tage is exactly the kind of Skinner replacement that would actually elevate the team. The bottom 6 is a pure defensive bottom 6 now. The top 6 needs more offense.

Good age profile. Character risk, but at this point, there's only 2-3 other options at all, or we sit on our hands and pick 9th in 2025 while having the same conversation.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
If that's the case blow the team up again and hopefully by 2050 they make the playoffs.
You get two responses. :)

It's easy to burn shit down. All you need is a match and a can of gasoline. It's a hell of a lot harder to build something on the smoking ruins. Don't burn it down. Ever again.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
You get two responses. :)

It's easy to burn shit down. All you need is a match and a can of gasoline. It's a hell of a lot harder to build something on the smoking ruins. Don't burn it down. Ever again.
That's how I feel. They should continue to add to this core.

My response is for the Negative Nancys who are against everything this team does.

Reactions: Diaspora

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
No need to blow the team up. Incremental compounding improvements. It takes more than three or four seasons to turn the 2021 Sabres into a contender, no matter how much the fans really want it with all their hearts.

Adams is just the GM. He ain't a f***ing genie. :)
Maybe they can make the playoffs by 2034-2035 at this rate!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Hard disagree. Creative playmaker next to Tage is exactly the kind of Skinner replacement that would actually elevate the team. The bottom 6 is a pure defensive bottom 6 now. The top 6 needs more offense.

Good age profile. Character risk, but at this point, there's only 2-3 other options at all, or we sit on our hands and pick 9th in 2025 while having the same conversation.
I was super down on Zegras. And while I would still question the move, his possession numbers were waaay better than I expected.

Capture.PNG

At this point, I'd probably prefer Zegras over Necas or Ehlers. I just wonder what the trade ask is for each.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

What are you basing that on? I only see one pure defensive line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad