The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Has any other GM in the league talked so much about the struggles of convincing players to play for their team? I feel like Kevyn is the only one who talks this way
There is really no point in saying that, you are just trading for a player without protection.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Has any other GM in the league talked so much about the struggles of convincing players to play for their team? I feel like Kevyn is the only one who talks this way
Maybe he's the only GM who actually has to deal with that reality?

After all, this board is a bunch of folks who mostly prefer to live outside of Buffalo who disrespect the franchise largely because of the drought.

So it should be no surprise when Adams expresses the challenging reality of trying to convince millionaires to come here who mostly prefer to live outside of Buffalo who disrespect the franchise largely because of the drought.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
In fairness, he keeps being asked about it by the local press. Plus not many GMs are helming a franchise that has sucked for this long.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
No, I meant who they would cut from the roster to add a top 6 forward. I just thought they were going to add a top 6 forward, not Zucker.
I've always liked Zucker. If he's not cooked, then I like him as a stop gap top-9 winger. He may gel on a line with Cozens and Quinn. Veteran guy who will be told to go to the net, play a simple game, and play the body. I think Ruff can sell him on that, and that may become a very good compliment to that line.

I suppose I like the blend of skillsets our wingers have. I bet Ruff can put together some pairs of RWs and LWs who compliment eachother well. The biggest concern is the hockey IQ of some of these wingers. Im hoping a lot of that was the Granato effect, though.

LW
Peterka (highly skilled,crazy fast)
Zucker (Offensive minded, pretty physical)
Greenway (Good defensively, great with possession)
Beck (fast, extremely physical, good defensively)

RW
Tuch (Skilled, Fast, physical)
Quinn (highly skilled, fast)
Benson (Very good defensively, skilled, physical(in the sense he battles like a rabid dog),)
Aube-Kubel (I only know he's physical)

The center spine is worrisome, though. I won't argue that.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Maybe he's the only GM who actually has to deal with that reality?

After all, this board is a bunch of folks who mostly prefer to live outside of Buffalo who disrespect the franchise largely because of the drought.

So it should be no surprise when Adams expresses the challenging reality of trying to convince millionaires to come here who mostly prefer to live outside of Buffalo who disrespect the franchise largely because of the drought.
Which is why it would've been a good idea to take advantage of that attitude beginning to soften last offseason. Now after the debacle that was this past season we're back to square one reputation wise.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
give to get….

JJ for Pinto

Krebs or 2nd or Rosen for Iaffalo

Iaffalo - Tage - Tuch
Zucker - Cozens - Quinn
Benson- Pinto - Greenway
New third line
Iafallo who? You can't be talking about Alex Iafallo, who had a whopping 27 points last year and is a 3rd line defensive forward at this point in his career, and is worth maybe a 3rd.

JJ for Pinto is - at best - just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. I'd argue it makes us worse.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Yes. Most GMs talk about it. Especially Canadian teams, west coast teams, small market teams, and bad teams.

The reality is there are a lot of teams and not a lot of desireable players.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Which is why it would've been a good idea to take advantage of that attitude beginning to soften last offseason. Now after the debacle that was this past season we're back to square one reputation wise.
I understand this sentiment, but I don't think the attitude was beginning to soften in any material way. At least as far as the reality of Adams trying to sell Buffalo to the world of agents and players. I think that was mostly fan sentiment. Pesce refusing to waive to come here is as good evidence as we have either way.

But I also don't think we've fallen so far from then to now.

2022-23: We finished 1 point out, with a great group of young talent, and an unproven, quirky coach,
2023-24: We finished 7 points out, with a great group of young talent, and now with a proven, well-liked coach.

It is going to take a couple seasons of sustained success to buck our reputation. We're not there yet and we weren't there last summer.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
It is going to take a couple seasons of sustained success to buck our reputation. We're not there yet and we weren't there last summer.
When are we allowed to get there? Or is this considered too much complaining? Am I a spoiled child as well for daring to ask such a question? Or wait! Am I even allowed to have an opinion since I am one of those jerks who apparently chooses to live outside of buffalo? I mean that makes it partially my fault others won't live in Buffalo, right?

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
When are we allowed to get there? Or is this considered too much complaining? Am I a spoiled child as well for daring to ask such a question? Or wait! Am I even allowed to have an opinion since I am one of those jerks who apparently chooses to live outside of buffalo?
I was just pointing out the irony of a bunch of people who choose not to live in Buffalo for various reasons acting like it's preposterous for Adams to describe his difficulty convincing people to live in Buffalo. Tempted to answer all your questions, but I'll pass.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
When are we allowed to get there? Or is this considered too much complaining? Am I a spoiled child as well for daring to ask such a question? Or wait! Am I even allowed to have an opinion since I am one of those jerks who apparently chooses to live outside of buffalo? I mean that makes it partially my fault others won't live in Buffalo, right?
We'll get there when we win, pure and simple. Start making the playoffs and showing that we're a legit team, THEN we will buck our reputation. Us taking a step back this year didn't help any perceived gains we got in that regard.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
We'll get there when we win, pure and simple. Start making the playoffs and showing that we're a legit team, THEN we will buck our reputation. Us taking a step back this year didn't help any perceived gains we got in that regard.
And when do we win? I don't think it is preposterous to ask the timeline here after 13 years. When does winning start to happen exactly? Let me guess, next year?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
And when do we win? I don't think it is preposterous to ask the timeline here after 13 years. When does winning start to happen exactly? Let me guess, next year?
I'm not trying to sound like a smart-ass when I say that we win when we win. It's an impossible question to firmly answer as there's no crystal ball.

I don't think Pegula/KA/etc are actively trying to not win. I do believe that they think that they're trying to win. It'll happen, eventually. Maybe this year. Maybe next. Maybe 29/30. Who knows.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
What is the list of potential summer C trades? That's the real hole still. Kulich, Savoie and Rosen are actually excellent top 9 wing depth, not every team has guys like that chomping at the bit to get a shot in case of injury.

Colton, Kadri, Frost/Cates/Laughton, who else?

This one is dreamland I know, but Leafs fans HATED Tavares at the end of their run. My friends up there were ready to give him away for free. Now that the big UFAs are gone, Toronto doesn't have a need to shed his $11M unfortunately. But if they find a trade for a new big fish and need to ditch the last year of his deal, I'd be interested and we have the room. The below looks worlds different.

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
Zucker-Cozens-Quinn
Benson-Tavares-Greenway
Aube Kubel-Lafferty-Malenstyn
Krebs

A man can dream! Can't he?? No? Damn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad