The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
My pessimistic but, IMO, realistic view of what they're gonna do and how things are gonna go:

-Run it back with the defense and assume Lindy will unlock Byram and Power's better games and also somehow ensure Sammy will be available for more than 50 games in the season. Maybe they flip Joker in a player for player trade or move him for a pick, then trade the pick for another defenseman. I expect some progress from Bo and OP, but also assume Samuelsson will miss a shitload of time, and they'll pay for not solidifying the top 4 more.

-Massively overpay a middle of the road or aging 3rd liner to take Skinner's place as a top 6 winger and assume they don't need to do anything else. KA figures Peterka can handle line 1 duties full-time and again has zero backup plans for potential poor play or injuries to anyone in the top 6. I guess at least they'd have several kids to trot out if they need to replace forwards in the lineup.

-In a similar vein, they promote Krebs to 3C apropos of nothing other than "he's a rising young player who wants to be here." Lindy realizes this is a mistake within the first 2 weeks of the season and they sign whoever's available at that point to try and salvage the spot in their lineup. It won't work.

-Add in random, non-needle moving 4th line/AHL depth signings.

-UPL regresses slightly from the Vezina level play he offered in the back half of the year, but is generally a solid/above average goalie. Levi progresses but has some struggles as a backup.

-Pegula fires Adams at the end of the year after another wasted season. The incoming GM (assuming Forton b/c how are they gonna attract any outsider with even a smidge of credibility) still doesn't really have any idea of what he has in Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund, and Savoie at the NHL level.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but between an owner who is both absentee and a meddler, and an inexperienced GM who's in miles over his head, this team feels hopeless.
This will be the theme music playing in the background as all of this plays out...

Reactions: kirby11

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
If they can construct a good 3rd and 4th line, shouldn't we be happy? Isn't the depth the issue for the Sabre's the entire drought? We have good young players to fill winger rolls. I think we can reasonably expect a bounce back in some form from our big forwards.
The top 6 wasn’t good enough two years in a row to make the playoffs. As a whole they need to be tougher to play against. Fixing the bottom six while welcome, isn’t going to push us ahead of the teams at the top.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If they can construct a good 3rd and 4th line, shouldn't we be happy? Isn't the depth the issue for the Sabre's the entire drought? We have good young players to fill winger rolls. I think we can reasonably expect a bounce back in some form from our big forwards.
I think they (or at least Adams) overestimate the quality of their existing depth. For instance, Krebs and Greenway, to me at least, would ideally be 4th liners with guys solidly ahead of them, but they'll probably be starting the season as 3rd liners who would be forced into top 6 spots in a pinch, or just because of line blenders to try and get something going.

They also need to replace Skinner's goals at the top of the lineup, and even if he gave a lot of them back with poor defense, you still need a decent scoring winger on either Tage or Cozens line. Don't love the idea of banking on Benson taking a massive leap in year 2 even if he very well could do it.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
The top 6 wasn’t good enough two years in a row to make the playoffs. As a whole they need to be tougher to play against. Fixing the bottom six while welcome, isn’t going to push us ahead of the teams at the top.
It was the previous year, what happened? There is no way they are as bad as this year (Tage Tuch Cozens).

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I think they (or at least Adams) overestimate the quality of their existing depth. For instance, Krebs and Greenway, to me at least, would ideally be 4th liners with guys solidly ahead of them, but they'll probably be starting the season as 3rd liners who would be forced into top 6 spots in a pinch, or just because of line blenders to try and get something going.

They also need to replace Skinner's goals at the top of the lineup, and even if he gave a lot of them back with poor defense, you still need a decent scoring winger on either Tage or Cozens line. Don't love the idea of banking on Benson taking a massive leap in year 2 even if he very well could do it.
Idk I see Greenway as a solid 3rd liner. Does most of the big dude stuff and doesn't pee his pants when the puck is on his stick. I guess that's the distinction for me.

Reactions: Dingo44

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
It was the previous year, what happened? There is no way they are as bad as this year (Tage Tuch Cozens).
That was said before and yet here we are. Skinner was a chink in the armor from the perspective that the top line had to outscore his deficiencies. Last year they did not. Also the top two lines will not be taken likely and teams will be better prepared. Expecting career years is not the most practical plan. Losing Mitts and his ability to spot fill up the lineup also hurts the depth.

Reactions: kirby11

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
That was said before and yet here we are. Skinner was a chink in the armor from the perspective that the top line had to outscore his deficiencies. Last year they did not. Also the top two lines will not be taken likely and teams will be better prepared. Expecting career years is not the most practical plan. Losing Mitts and his ability to spot fill up the lineup also hurts the depth.
We have always clearly needed to replace Mitts production. Skinner I think will be a net positive and his goal scoring can be replaced easily with improved 5v5 overall +/- on his former line.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
KA broke the FW group without any reliable plan to fix it. Go figure that trying to acquire a good C is hard. How the hell does he not have a sure fire plan to replace Mitts? Handing big dollars to two guys that are dice rolls as top-two Cs but trading the most well-rounded one you have...It's just another sign of incompetence.

Now his trades for a top-six winger fall through, buys out Skinner anyway. Who the hell is going to replace that ice time? Nobody in UFA worth a damn that's for sure. He's gonna get a has-been, then rotate them out with Savoie/Kulich half way through the season, suffer with Krebs at 3C...cue the Benny Hill music.
First part done - Zucker.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I was kind of already banking on hitting losers again at the yearly winners and losers of free agency, this will be like 5 years straight.

At least we are consistent if nothing more.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
So what are we at right now?

Peterka-Thompson-tuch
Benson-cozens-quinn
Zucker-krebs-greenway
Malenstyn-lafferty-rousek

Byram-dahlin
Power-joker
samuelsson-clifton

UPL
Levi

I still really would like either 1) a legit middle six winger that pushes Zucker so win to the fourth line and Rousek to the press box OR 2) a real third line center to push krebs tot he fourth line. Both would be perfect, but not expecting it

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Welp, at this point I think its more reasonable to assume, other than RFAs, Adams is done. Maybe the Aube-Kubel signing is real, and that's fine.

They sign their RFAs, they are like 8M or so under the cap with 12F and 7D, 2G.

I think other than a 4th line/13th F/7D, they are probably done.

Prove me wrong with a big trade Kevyn.

But looks like another poverty franchise summer is upon us.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I like adding Malenstyn and Lafferty (a lot), and hopefully Aube-Kubel is real to finish up the 4th line adds.

Zucker is exactly the mediocre Skinner replacement that I expected. It's about the best KA could do in that situation, and it's why I thought the buy-out was useless.

What really needs to happen is to get a decent mid-six C and push Krebs down. This is the move that will impact next season more than any of the others so far.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
maybe sign someone like henrique good 3rd liner good at FO, he'd probably want to much tho, i expect adam to move one of our prospect for a great defensive forward (Hoping for Jenner, add leadership tough as nails leads by example)

also man, i just don't see a spot for krebs, he needs to figure out what kind of player he wants to be. because at this point i'd rather sign clutterbuck then watch krebs trip over the blue line for another season

JJP-TT-Tuch
Benson-cozens-quinn
Greenway-Jenner/Henrique-Zucker
Melenstyn-krebs-Lafferty

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
In terms of UFA, this is a TT* signing away from being an A+. Totally rebuilt the 4th line without breaking the bank. Brought in veterans including a Cup winner. No stupid contracts in silly season.

*Or equivalent

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad