The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Favorite realistic targets:

Centers (Trade):
Sturm (1 yr), Faksa (1 yr), Strome (4 yrs), Dowd (1 yr)

Centers (UFA): Henrique, Stenlund

Wingers (Trade): Buchnevich (1 yr), Iafallo (1yr)

Wingers (UFA): Debrusk, Carrier, Trenin, Lomberg, Foegele

Defense (Trade): Jensen (2 yrs), TVR (2 yrs)

Defense (UFA): Demelo

Not included because not realistic: Cirelli, Blueger, Bjugstad, Crouse, Haula, Marino, Kadri, Backlund, Coleman, JEE, Sissons, Matt Roy, et al.

Reactions: Jacob582

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
SmartSelect_20240617_180412_Instagram.jpg

SmartSelect_20240617_180405_Instagram.jpg

SmartSelect_20240617_180354_Instagram.jpg

SmartSelect_20240617_180344_Instagram.jpg

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Id be fine with keeping Joki if they gave him Clifton's spot while adding a Ekholm-lite defenseman for the top-4.

Power/Byram-Dahlin
Power/Byram- Ekholm-lite D man
Sammy-Joki

If theyre planning to play him in the top-4 again, then disappointed would be an understatement.

Based on everything KA has said this offseason so far......we're not adding a top 4 RHD. Dahlin will be the RHD on pair one, and he made a comment in that same article that Power was comfortable on the right and had better analytics on the right.

My bet is that we start off with
Byram-Dahlin
Sammy-Power
?????-Clifton/Joker

With the ??? being a veteran 3rd pairing LHD that can bring PK ability (think a guy like Forbort or Brendan Smith).

Reactions: Dingo44

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Pavel Buchnevich is the only one that makes sense in Fairburns Athletic article. We need a center presuming he still plays center.

Everyone else he mentioned is a winger and while we could always get better on the wing, it's not a pressing need going into the 2024/25 season.

If Quinn stays healthy and Peterka finds another gear, our top 6 wingers will be nice.

Honestly I still really like the Morgan Frost idea but Buchnevich is also fine.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
In which case, Buchnevich makes no sense. Buchnevich is a winger, not a center.
Yeah I thought so but quick look on Google had him listed as a center, I think my only addition I would like is Morgan Frost whatever that may cost from Philadelphia.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Pavel Buchnevich is the only one that makes sense in Fairburns Athletic article. We need a center presuming he still plays center.

Everyone else he mentioned is a winger and while we could always get better on the wing, it's not a pressing need going into the 2024/25 season.

If Quinn stays healthy and Peterka finds another gear, our top 6 wingers will be nice.

Honestly I still really like the Morgan Frost idea but Buchnevich is also fine.
Buchnevich has never really played center regularly.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Buchnevich has never really played center regularly.
I was pretty sure of that but a quick Google search swayed me as he was listed as a center. He's still good defensively and put up worthy numbers for a few years now however when Quinn and Peterka need to get paid. A good chunk of our salary cap will be on the wing even moreso if Savoie is a mainstay with Benson.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Based on everything KA has said this offseason so far......we're not adding a top 4 RHD. Dahlin will be the RHD on pair one, and he made a comment in that same article that Power was comfortable on the right and had better analytics on the right.

Byram-Dahlin
Sammy-Power
?????-Clifton/Joker

With the ??? being a veteran 3rd pairing LHD that can bring PK ability (think a guy like Forbort or Brendan Smith).
Hm...I wonder if they'd want to balance the pairs more.

Power-Dahlin
Byram-Clifton
Sammy-Joki

Power-Dahlin could compliment eachother well if Power's defensive game takes another step.

Clifton-Byram could develop into a physical 2nd pairing. Byram would likely need to take a step forward in development, and become a good #3 who can drive his own pair. Clifton would be given a clear role to be a physical PITA to play against (clear the net like his life depends on it), and use his strong skating to cover for Byram.

Sammy-Joki is very enticing to me, but we need healthy Sammy playing because hobbled Sammy isnt nearly as effective. They'd be a very strong 3rd pairing that may be able to relieve some of the defensive ailments of the top-4.

I just dont see them using either of Joki or Clifton on their offside regularly, and I also don't believe they'll be shipping either of them off givenKAs comments about Joki. Neither are suited to be a #7, either.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
This is the list:

Sheary - Lightning
Campbell - Oilers
Petersen - Flyers
Atkinson - Flyers
Dubois - Kings
Grubauer - Kraken
Korpisalo - Senators
Trouba - Rangers
Goodrow - Rangers
Holl - Red Wings
Pageau - Islanders
Schmidt - Jets

On that list if they do get bought out I'd be interested in cheap contracts for maybe Goodrow, Pageau, or Schmidt - but they would have to be cheap and short and no NMC's.
Trouba if he’s bought out, Schmidt or Goodrow perhaps if bought out. No interest in the slightest in the rest

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
You don’t even have to read between the lines here.

On UPL - a long, thoughtful take.
On the off-season - a long, thoughtful take.
On Joker - Ball is in his court. Next question.

On the other side:

6K - we like him and want an offer he likes
Summer - we know nothing yet
Joker - want him back, but not long-term

Stop being so goddamn negative all of the time. You’re venturing into the territory where my eyes glaze over when I see your posts. And I don’t dislike you as a poster, but you can’t say anything remotely positive.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
On the other side:

6K - we like him and want an offer he likes
Summer - we know nothing yet
Joker - want him back, but not long-term

Stop being so goddamn negative all of the time. You’re venturing into the territory where my eyes glaze over when I see your posts. And I don’t dislike you as a poster, but you can’t say anything remotely positive.
Idk I kinda got the same vibe as Ace.
As for Joker, serviceable 3rd pairing guy with upside. I guess they disagree with me if they're not even looking for a medium term which wouldn't cost much or maybe they just want a different type of defenseman.

Reactions: Jacob582

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Byram-Dahlin
Sammy-Power
?????-Clifton/Joker

Lindy said he sees Power or Samuelsson paired with Dahlin. I don't know if he said just or if he actually has that plan in his head.
Yeah I thought so but quick look on Google had him listed as a center, I think my only addition I would like is Morgan Frost whatever that may cost from Philadelphia.
Well, if Adams is looking for a top 6 forward, it makes sense. He said it himself, then Friedman and Marek said it. I'm not sure if Adams wants to go with 3-4 kids in his top 6.

Reactions: joshjull

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Ideally, I would like to see such defense.

Power - Dahlin
Byram - xxxx
Samuelsson - Clifton

But if they're not going to trade Joki and the defense doesn't change much, then I'd try this option.

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Clifton
Samuelsson - Jokiharju

They'll also need to add a good #7 D.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Ideally, I would like to see such defense.

Power - Dahlin
Byram - xxxx
Samuelsson - Clifton

But if they're not going to trade Joki and the defense doesn't change much, then I'd try this option.

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Clifton
Samuelsson - Jokiharju

They'll also need to add a good #7 D.
Option one is ideal. Option 2 isn't ideal, but there's some potential there. If Byram can take his game to the next level, then we'd just need Clifton to play his role in the top-4 (physical presence, simplified game, etc...). The more I think about it, I'm not completely opposed to it, especially to start the season out. Changes can be made during the season.

Also, Bryson seemed like a good #7 last year, and RJ is a solid #8. Not sure they need much more depth.

Reactions: Sabreality

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Option one is ideal. Option 2 isn't ideal, but there's some potential there. If Byram can take his game to the next level, then we'd just need Clifton to play his role in the top-4 (physical presence, simplified game, etc...). The more I think about it, I'm not completely opposed to it, especially to start the season out. Changes can be made during the season.

Also, Bryson seemed like a good #7 last year, and RJ is a solid #8. Not sure they need much more depth.
Well Adams himself said they need more depth, and that's the question of who you want to see #7. I'd rather have an experienced guy like Sammy type who can play on PK and the physical game. So I'm not sure where Bryson fits in.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
And the Sabres were never bringing back Ted Nolan or hiring a soccer coach. Bills were never trading diggs. Eichel was going to be a Sabre forever.

Amazing how you can stare something in the face and have it be forever just out reach.
Were Diggs and Eichel traded to division rivals?

And were there all these denials before the trades?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad