The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Logan Couture a possibility? I hope not, I can't even remember the last time he played a full season and he's making 8 million. He wouldn't even be better than Cozens who is making less.
Well, in the 22-23 season he played 82 games and scored 67 points. He missed almost the entire last season. This is actually weird.

Would love Logan if he stays healthy and SJ eats some of his money.
The problem will be if he doesn't stay healthy and we're left without a center.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Well, in the 22-23 season he played 82 games and scored 67 points. He missed almost the entire last season. This is actually weird.

The problem will be if he doesn't stay healthy and we're left without a center.
What if skinner is going the other way and we can just dump him on LTR? That would be better than having Skinner on the roster… If we use the extra cap space

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What if skinner is going the other way and we can just dump him on LTR? That would be better than having Skinner on the roster… If we use the extra cap space
Yeah, I thought about that too, but is Jeff going to give up his NMC to go to San Jose? I'm not sure.

Reactions: JThorne

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I'm not looking for a center who only plays defense. You can also teach him, that's why I said about Ruff. I'm looking for an undervalued player at a low price who may still have upside, like Bennett did in Calgary.

Well he's not a physical player unlike Bennett so that hurts.

Two I have zero interest in teaching a guy to play 3C, I want a 3C who is ready out of the box. We have enough guys learning roles.

Lastly his contract is abhorrent; he's making 4.8mil for 6 more years. If Carolina buys him out then I might have interest in a 1 year prove it deal but I want no part in that contract.

Logan Couture a possibility? I hope not, I can't even remember the last time he played a full season and he's making 8 million. He wouldn't even be better than Cozens who is making less.

It would have to be for Skinner since SJ already has 3 retentions.

I'd also be interested in Sean Couturier if they retain 3mil

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Something around couture for Skinner ? Maybe add joki and sturm in there ?

Similar years and cap between these 2 and add picks

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
See....I'd rather Clifton in that spot over Joki. Joki is fine at ES, but he's awful on the PK. And Clifton brings more in the physical department.

And given that Joki is likely to be making about the same as Clifton this upcoming year..........give me Clifton over Joker for that 3rd pair RHD spot.
Joki over Clifton is definitely not a hill I'm willing to die on. I will also admit to somewhat disregarding PKing as a skill, since I've been of the opinion that it's mostly coaching. And with Ruff we have a coach who is notorious for paying great attention to the PK.
That being said, I do feel like Joki might still have upside, especially if he's deployed the right way (bottom pairing with physical partner e.g. Sammy) in a defensively structured system. Plus we might be able to sign him for a couple of years at the cap hit of his qualifying offer.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Honestly I see no way Logan Couture comes here to play 3C @ 8 million per year for the next 3 years 🤢 especially if Adams didn't want to pay Mittlestadt

The guy has 3 80+ game seasons under his belt, that's it. Lets not cherry pick one year, lets look at his overall body of work and how injury prone this guy is. Think Mattius Samuelsson x3.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I think William Karlsson is ideal based on leadership qualities, position, remaining term and my guess when it comes to acquisition cost.

Kotkaniemi is interesting but I don't like the risk involved. Feels unnecessary when we have trade capital and will face a cap crunch eventually.
I think he is a good buy low option if all else fails

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Well he's not a physical player unlike Bennett so that hurts.

Two I have zero interest in teaching a guy to play 3C, I want a 3C who is ready out of the box. We have enough guys learning roles.

Lastly his contract is abhorrent; he's making 4.8mil for 6 more years. If Carolina buys him out then I might have interest in a 1 year prove it deal but I want no part in that contract.
It's not Bennett's physical condition, it's that the guy wasted away in Calgary, scoring less points than KK, but Zito wasn't afraid to pay for him and it worked. As I said, I'm looking for an undervalued option, since I've already offered a ton of options and basically there were always some problems with trading. His contract is not a problem to buyout, look at his buyout, it's pennies in the cap. Although maybe Canes will buyout him, we'll find out soon.

Last edited:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
It's not Bennett's physical condition, it's that the guy wasted away in Calgary, scoring less points than KK, but Zito wasn't afraid to pay for him and it worked. As I said, I'm looking for an undervalued option, since I've already offered a ton of options and basically there were always some problems with trading. His contract is not a problem to buyout, look at his buyout, it's pennies in the cap. Although maybe Canes will buyout him, we'll find out soon.
A buyout is over 10 Million Pegula bucks.

I think you are under estimating how valuable Pegula Bucks are to Terry Pegula on this one

Reactions: Jacob582

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
A buyout is over 10 Million Pegula bucks.

I think you are under estimating how valuable Pegula Bucks are to Terry Pegula on this one
That's his problem, I'm only looking at the cap situation. I'm not going to guess whether Pegula is willing to spend or not.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

The unrealistic targets Brady Tkachuk would be a dream addition for the Sabres, but it’s tough to envision the Senators trading their captain. Sam Bennett is another name that readers ask about, and the Panthers will have some cap trouble coming. But he’s been so good for them in the playoffs and I don’t think they’ll be too eager to move him. Anthony Cirelli falls into that same category. While the Lightning are going to need to move money around, they just signed Cirelli to a long-term deal. As great a fit as he’d be in Buffalo, he seems like part of Tampa’s plans. Patrik Laine could be on the move again, but adding an $8.7 million cap hit is a tough sell as long as Jeff Skinner’s $9 million is still on the books.
Realistic Targets:
  • Pavel Buchnevich, St. Louis Blues
  • Travis Konecny, Philadelphia Flyers
  • Nikolaj Ehlers, Winnipeg Jets
  • Martin Necas, Carolina Hurricanes
  • Andrew Mangiapane, Calgary Flames
  • Kevin Hayes, St. Louis Blues
  • Radek Faksa, Dallas Stars
  • Scott Laughton, Philadelphia Flyers

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events