The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
ERod as a 3C? Always liked his game

Maybe Florida would trade him for the cap space
You could probably look at everybody we got rid of or let go during the drought and make a case that we should trade for them now. And because we would be better equipped to slot them out in roles/spots better suited for them now, it would probably work out.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I bet the cost is cheap for wild bill - Vegas likes to dump their contract so they could pick up the next shiny toy. It’s a good target for sure.
Then the main thing is that Buffalo is not on his M-NTC. Adams, I think, should kick the tires of all such centers this offseason, and even before the draft.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Wondering what people think about Mangiapane too. He seems the most overpaid compared to the others but maybe that’s a reason buffalo can land him.
He has 1 yr left at near $6M.

Hes the tyor of pkayer buffalo coukd target with just 1 yr left and buffalo has space for just this year with estimated $8M ( after filling roster) that will go away next summer after signing RFAs and greenway.

Right now its 8/5/0 with about $23.5M in space.
2G=$6M
2 ELC F=1.9M
7D=1.5M
10/6/2 with $14M
What is above can be rolled into 25/26

Need to be aware that next summer $7M or so is used to resign current players in 8/5/0 roster.

24/25 10/6/2 with $14M in space
25/26 same 10/6/2 with about $10M in space. ( names switch but not contract slots like 7D becomes RyJo, BG to Levi)

This year you can acquire/sign a 1 yr player that is then replaced by an ELC/$1M player

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
His contract is not a problem because it is easy to buyout and it will cost us almost nothing in terms of cap. But if it works out, his contract will be good for his role. He had a bad season, but before that he put up good numbers: 18 + 25, played good defense. I don’t think he is hopeless.

View attachment 883364

I mean, it must be not good that Kevyn went and traded for him without telling anyone. I think it should be Adams, Ruff, Ventura and Karmanos get together and discuss a player like Kotkaniemi, whether he can benefit from a change of scenery, ask Ruff what he thinks, what Ventura thinks. If they all agree, it makes sense. If not, you can look elsewhere.

He has never played a season with less than a 60-40 split towards the offensive zone. That automatically discourages my interest in him as he has never played as a defensive first center. Any player worth anything can put up positive analytics when given offensive zone starts 60+% of the time. If you can’t even with that you know there’s an issue. Our 3C needs to be capable of playing solid with the reverse circumstances.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Why are we trading Clifton? He's an RD who hits and is good on the PK.
Salary, mostly. A servicable 3rd pair dman making 3.3 Mil is too much, rather sign and play Joki on the bottom pair. That scenario is dependent on us getting an upgrade for the 2nd pair RD spot, though, whoever that might be.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
He has never played a season with less than a 60-40 split towards the offensive zone. That automatically discourages my interest in him as he has never played as a defensive first center. Any player worth anything can put up positive analytics when given offensive zone starts 60+% of the time. If you can’t even with that you know there’s an issue. Our 3C needs to be capable of playing solid with the reverse circumstances.
I'm not looking for a center who only plays defense. You can also teach him, that's why I said about Ruff. I'm looking for an undervalued player at a low price who may still have upside, like Bennett did in Calgary.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Salary, mostly. A servicable 3rd pair dman making 3.3 Mil is too much, rather sign and play Joki on the bottom pair. That scenario is dependent on us getting an upgrade for the 2nd pair RD spot, though, whoever that might be.
See....I'd rather Clifton in that spot over Joki. Joki is fine at ES, but he's awful on the PK. And Clifton brings more in the physical department.

And given that Joki is likely to be making about the same as Clifton this upcoming year..........give me Clifton over Joker for that 3rd pair RHD spot.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
See....I'd rather Clifton in that spot over Joki. Joki is fine at ES, but he's awful on the PK. And Clifton brings more in the physical department.

And given that Joki is likely to be making about the same as Clifton this upcoming year..........give me Clifton over Joker for that 3rd pair RHD spot.
Absolutely, we need more physicality, only Dahlin and Clifton play with grit on defense. Sammy is a little different, although he hits a lot. I would hate to lose Clifton and he seems like the perfect guy for the third pairing for Ruff.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA

Not too mention signing a guy to a 3yr UFA contract, just to turn around and trade him away the following summer. That's not a good look for an organization that already has trouble signing UFA's.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Not too mention signing a guy to a 3yr UFA contract, just to turn around and trade him away the following summer. That's not a good look for an organization that already has trouble signing UFA's.
They did something similar with Lyubushkin.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I think when you combine ability, salary, and who is realistically available as a legit 3C, Jesperi Kotkaniemi is the best target.

He reminds me of where Bennett was in Calgary a few years ago. I think he could be a legit 3C playing a two way game, and if Carolina is looking to off-load him, the price won’t be through the roof.
Kotkaniemi for Jokiharju.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Sure but why is Dallas moving him? They’re a WCF team which needs to add, not take away for futures.

I would like that too but Canes fans aren’t super interested in Jokiharju. They correctly point out that he’s not a great fit for their team.
Canes will
Need cheap D though so they may be a bit delusional

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Would the Sabres have any interest in Lars Eller? One year left. Fairly cheap. Had a better season than expected in 2023-24.

Dubas seems hell-bent on adding future assets, so I wonder if Eller is someone he is looking to move.

I don't think Eller is a 3C anymore, even though that is where he played this past season. But he is decent insurance for a relatively young team.

I wonder if a 4th or 5th round pick would get it done.

Anyway, I come in peace just spitballing an idea.

Thanks in advance.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

3.3 for bottom pair is not an issue

91M cap G/D you should allocate 39M for G/D.

2G for 7M
6M for bottom 3D(3.5M or so, ELC/1M 1.5M vet)
26M for top 4

Kotkaniemi for Jokiharju.
.carolina adds. I'm not convinced on KK with the weight of the buyout. KK is worth a 7th now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad