The roster construction is far too nonsensical for this team to be competitive.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
He’s better offensively on the wing than in the middle, as shown in NY when he was there. He can also add a heavier element on the cycle/get to net. The top line sure is working really well at the moment lol

Copp adding a heavier element? Are you watching the same Copp the rest of us are?

Reactions: Gniwder

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I think a lot of this is fair. It's by and large a roster of spare parts, and I think Yzerman deserves some blame for not having a lot of cap flexibility this year to make more improvements.

But...I also think the long term plan is still in good shape, as far as the first round picks are hitting and we're about to have a lot of cap space.

But..in the meantime - get Kasper and Mazur up. Provide some energy if nothing else.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
If I told you that in year 6 of the Yzerplan this is where we would be NO ONE WOULD BE HAPPY!
Funnily enough, this is precisely where Yzerman said we'd be. He said be patient, it takes time.

A million things could have happened to speed up the rebuild (better lotto results, more luck on drafting a ready kid) but for all of the belly-aching everyone is doing... we actually have a future down on the farm to give a damn about.

It'll be a lot like the Tigers this year. As recently as the TDL, the main call for them was "TRADE SKUBAL, YOU'RE NOT ANY GOOD ANYWAY!" And then they went on the magical run to the postseason and now there is optimism about that team.

Had the Wings made the playoffs by that one point last year, so much of this bullshit being spewed right now is all gone. The team is on an upward track. Not as fast as we'd like, obviously, but if you can seriously look at 19-20 and now and not see that the team is light-years better top to bottom, I think you need your eyes checked.

Further, I really don't think that you can just completely discount the lost years that were COVID for some of these young guys when they were caught in the limbo of not being able to play in the A or overseas or that. It pulled the drop chute on one year of development so they were further behind after that.

The team needs to pick it up, the first two games against the Rangers have been really bad, (The Rangers are one of the better teams in the league, so a little bit of understanding of that too) but it is unacceptable to get boatraced.

I'd say how about everyone hold off the horses of "this team is garbage and I feel like garbage and I wanna jump off the Renaissance Building" until we get a quarter of the way into the year.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
The concern I have is Yzerman would really have to go against his history by bringing up several rookies at once next season. If he isn’t doing that, it means another offseason of adding mediocre vets. He needs to pick a direction at some point.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
The concern I have is Yzerman would really have to go against his history by bringing up several rookies at once next season. If he isn’t doing that, it means another offseason of adding mediocre vets. He needs to pick a direction at some point.

Right. I'll feel a lot better about things if Kasper and likely Mazur are up by next month. A bunch of contracts are about to come off the books and the time to start transitioning is now.

Reactions: DTR

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Sometimes players have a down year, I guess it happens to GMs as well because Steve had a down offseason this last year.

1-3 and badly outplayed in the win, Talbot saved that game. We are in trouble and I don't think to org realizes how bad it is going to get.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
The guy that won multiple Stanley cups and gold medals as a player and GM. Yep let's keep doubting him.

NHL ready impact players that have size and skill are gone in the top 3. This was always going to be a slow roll. He said so and has maintained that from the beginning. ASP, Cossa aren't on the roster yet. Edvinson still getting his NHL legs. Danielson just drafted.

Last edited:

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I don’t see how people don’t get it. The only chance this team has to contend is with Larkin on the roster, because none of the prospects look to be better centres than him. If we wait until he’s out of his prime and Seider et al are 26+, we will have a team stuck in mediocrity again because we don’t have a #1 PPG center in the system right now.

The guy that won multiple Stanley cups and gold medals as a player and GM. Yep let's keep doubting him.
He won zero Stanley cups as a GM. Wish this lie would stop being propagated.

He built that team well, but they won nothing until JBB took over and made the final moves that put them over the top.

I think the thing I truly can’t stand here the most is the constant appeal to authority as if these NHL GMs are some sort of gods or have PhDs in sports management.

At this point if we don’t make the playoffs, I’m hoping for a true bottom of the barrel season so Yzerman realizes that he needs to stop filling this roster with guys that are 3-5 years past their prime.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don’t see how people don’t get it. The only chance this team has to contend is with Larkin on the roster, because none of the prospects look to be better centres than him. If we wait until he’s out of his prime and Seider et al are 26+, we will have a team stuck in mediocrity again because we don’t have a #1 PPG center in the system right now.

He won zero Stanley cups as a GM. Wish this lie would stop being propagated.

He built that team well, but they won nothing until JBB took over and made the final moves that put them over the top.

I think the thing I truly can’t stand here the most is the constant appeal to authority as if these NHL GMs are some sort of gods or have PhDs in sports management.

At this point if we don’t make the playoffs, I’m hoping for a true bottom of the barrel season so Yzerman realizes that he needs to stop filling this roster with guys that are 3-5 years past their prime.

I don't have the energy to argue. If I wanted to gripe about that level of nitpick I would join a star wars forum.

1729260416567.png

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I don't have the energy to argue. If I wanted to gripe about that level of nitpick I would join a star wars forum.

View attachment 918168
You can call it a nitpick but it’s not false. Yea, Yzerman had a massive role in building the Tampa near-dynasty. No, he didn’t win any cups with them, and if you go on the Tampa forum and ask Tampa fans, many of them feel JBBs moves are what put them over the top.

Regardless, previous work doesn’t mean he’s immune from criticism now. He’s going on year 6 of the rebuild in Detroit and has very little to show for it. We would have lit holland on fire by now.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
You can call it a nitpick but it’s not false. Yea, Yzerman had a massive role in building the Tampa near-dynasty. No, he didn’t win any cups with them, and if you go on the Tampa forum and ask Tampa fans, many of them feel JBBs moves are what put them over the top.

Regardless, previous work doesn’t mean he’s immune from criticism now. He’s going on year 6 of the rebuild in Detroit and has very little to show for it. We would have lit holland on fire by now.

I am not and never will hold criticism against anyone or advocate that anyone is immune. I have criticized him too as some of the trades have been pretty whelming. But at least criticism should be founded. Guy has a track record of hall of fame level success. He took a team that had essentially Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Hronik and some lose change and turned it into one of the most exciting prospect pools in the NHL. Playoffs before having a core was never part of his plan. The likelihood of making the playoffs this season is there. The competitive hockey is there it started last season. Why is this board so full of doom and gloom.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I am not and never will hold criticism against anyone or advocate that anyone is immune. I have criticized him too as some of the trades have been pretty whelming. But at least criticism should be founded. Guy has a track record of hall of fame level success. He took a team that had essentially Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Hronik and some lose change and turned it into one of the most exciting prospect pools in the NHL. Playoffs before having a core was never part of his plan. The likelihood of making the playoffs this season is there. The competitive hockey is there it started last season. Why is this board so full of doom and gloom.
If you’re happy with another year of mediocrity as Larkin ages out of his prime and zero of the prospects get any significant NHL experience, that’s fine. Some of us want to actually see these “exciting prospects” play instead of being passed over for Erik Gustafsson and Tyler Motte.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Of course our roster is flawed. We are a fringe playoff team.
The point is that it’s way more flawed than it needs to be given the personnel in the organization.

Johansson should be getting more and more minutes until he can’t handle them. Not getting benched for trash.

Kasper should be up. Mazur should be up. Berggren should have a top 6 role.

Cossa should get a shot at starting given all our goalies are trash.

If the vets are bad, then you should let the kids play. The only good reasoning for playing vets over kids on a rebuilding team is if the vets are actually good. But they suck ass. So why do we want to suck ass with washed up vets who have no future here vs suck ass with young players who gain experience and improve?

Reactions: Realgud

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
I find the insistence that the Wings reach their contention window while Larkin is still in his prime... odd. Larkin is 28 already. How many more years will he be in his prime? How soon will we be contending?

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I find the insistence that the Wings reach their contention window while Larkin is still in his prime... odd. Larkin is 28 already. How many more years will he be in his prime? How soon will we be contending?
It's not "insistence". It's a realization that if we wait to try and contend for 4-5 more years, we will lose our 1C as Larkin exits his prime, and be right back where we started as a middle of the pack team unable to take the next step.

Reactions: Gniwder

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
It's not "insistence". It's a realization that if we wait to try and contend for 4-5 more years, we will lose our 1C as Larkin exits his prime, and be right back where we started as a middle of the pack team unable to take the next step.
Ok, insistence on what they should do is what I meant, regarding what you're saying here. I just don't see how it's likely... Larkin will have to maintain his level of play longer than the average top player and the Wings will need to luck into their contention window sooner than planned for that to work out.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Funnily enough, this is precisely where Yzerman said we'd be. He said be patient, it takes time.

A million things could have happened to speed up the rebuild (better lotto results, more luck on drafting a ready kid) but for all of the belly-aching everyone is doing... we actually have a future down on the farm to give a damn about.

It'll be a lot like the Tigers this year. As recently as the TDL, the main call for them was "TRADE SKUBAL, YOU'RE NOT ANY GOOD ANYWAY!" And then they went on the magical run to the postseason and now there is optimism about that team.

Had the Wings made the playoffs by that one point last year, so much of this bullshit being spewed right now is all gone. The team is on an upward track. Not as fast as we'd like, obviously, but if you can seriously look at 19-20 and now and not see that the team is light-years better top to bottom, I think you need your eyes checked.

Further, I really don't think that you can just completely discount the lost years that were COVID for some of these young guys when they were caught in the limbo of not being able to play in the A or overseas or that. It pulled the drop chute on one year of development so they were further behind after that.

The team needs to pick it up, the first two games against the Rangers have been really bad, (The Rangers are one of the better teams in the league, so a little bit of understanding of that too) but it is unacceptable to get boatraced.

I'd say how about everyone hold off the horses of "this team is garbage and I feel like garbage and I wanna jump off the Renaissance Building" until we get a quarter of the way into the year.
Yzerman's transparency during his first GM presser is what keeps me grounded despite the frustrating moments. We were all told what to expect. He wasn't kidding.

Reactions: Axel Sandy Pelikan

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The point is that it’s way more flawed than it needs to be given the personnel in the organization.

Johansson should be getting more and more minutes until he can’t handle them. Not getting benched for trash.

Kasper should be up. Mazur should be up. Berggren should have a top 6 role.

Cossa should get a shot at starting given all our goalies are trash.

If the vets are bad, then you should let the kids play. The only good reasoning for playing vets over kids on a rebuilding team is if the vets are actually good. But they suck ass. So why do we want to suck ass with washed up vets who have no future here vs suck ass with young players who gain experience and improve?
We are 4 games into the season. Kapser just got called up. Take a f***ing breath.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Within 2 years nearly all the top prospects will be in the lineup. This season is only 4 games old, nothing is over yet. Tough off season training might cause a slow start but then the condition peak happens in spring, instead of gassing out.

Some KHL teams had this thing in the past, i remember players talking about it. Coaches over there worked their players like dogs during the summer, a slow start but strong finish. I hope this is the case for this season. Some did bulk up this off season quite a lot, so maybe that is the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad