The roster construction is far too nonsensical for this team to be competitive.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Let’s look at it from the top down, our top 6 is incredibly small, kane, debrincat, Raymond, these are all guys 5’11 and less. At least however guys like Raymond and debrincat will try to be physical. Then we have tank, compher and Larkin who is by far our best center. What’s the theme? All of these guys are either small, or unbelievably slow. With Larkin being the only exception. Combine this with our bottom 6, who are also extremely slow, but at least they have more size, yet they don’t use it! They play small despite having the size, like the mirror opposite of guys in our top 6. It’s just a horrible mismatch of players, and none of them really compliment each other what so ever. Ras and Copp provide 0 offense, Berggren is playing with “shut down” players. Motte and Fischer do the same thing and are redundant, veleno is replacement level but at least he can skate. I mean was any thought put into this?

Our defenseman are pretty self explanatory, outside of Ed and seider they are old and slow too, or just make crazy head scratching decisions like chiarot.

This is a team that is old and slow while seriously lacking in skill, and the guys that do have skill are all small and amongst each other on the same lines so they get killed on the forecheck and out muscled constantly. It just doesn’t make sense and is not a recipe for success as bad as lalonde is (Which I think he is, he’s never been able to get the team motivated). I just don’t see anyway this team is competing for the playoffs by the end of the year, even if it’s only game 4, I don’t see how even a coaching change can address the core issue the team has.

Last edited:

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Hard to believe a team in the 6th year of a rebuild has this much dead weight. 8th oldest team in the league.
I could stomach being bad in year 8 of no playoffs if we were playing rookies, that’s understandable. Instead edvinsson didn’t get the time he needed last year, and Johansson just got BENCHED for Gustafson. And we all know how the did kasper when he was our best player in preseason. Teams soft, no compete, no physicality, no skating, no care. That reflects on the “vet” leadership, and the coaching. The only rookie playing is ED who should have been here last year! It’s insane.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Let’s look at it from the top down, our top 6 is incredibly small, kane, debrincat, Raymond, these are all guys 5’11 and less. At least however guys like Raymond and debrincat will try to be physical. Then we have tank, compher and Larkin who is by far our best center. What’s the theme? All of these guys are either small, or unbelievably slow. With Larkin being the only exception. Combine this with our bottom 6, who are also extremely slow, but at least they have more size, yet they don’t use it! They play small despite having the size, like the mirror opposite of guys in our top 6. It’s just a horrible mismatch of players, and none of them really compliment each other what so ever. Ras and Copp provide 0 offense, Berggren is playing with “shut down” players. Motte and Fischer do the same thing and are redundant, veleno is replacement level but at least he can skate. I mean was any thought put into this?

Our defenseman are pretty self explanatory, outside of Ed and seider they are old and slow too, or just make crazy head scratching decisions like chiarot.

This is a team that is old and slow while seriously lacking in skill, and the guys that do have skill are all small and amongst each other on the same lines so they get killed on the forecheck and out muscled constantly. It just doesn’t make sense and is not a recipe for success as bad as lalonde is (Which I think he is, he’s never been able to get the team motivated). I just don’t see anyway this team is competing for the playoffs by the end of the year, even if it’s only game 4, I don’t see how even a coaching change can address the core issue the team has.
Totally agree, this roster is a total mess imo. The D core basically can’t be fixed but I’d be playing Albert every night with seider, chiarot with Ed and whoever is going out of the other bozos.

Up front id call up Mazur and Kasper. My lines would be as followed (not perfect but I think fit better)

Copp- Larkin-Raymond
Cat- Kasper- Tank
Mazur- Compher-Kane
Rass- Veleno- Bergy

Fischer and motte as extras

Albert- Seider
Ed-Chiarot
Whoever

• Haha
Reactions: Gniwder
Oct 18, 2006
Totally agree, this roster is a total mess imo. The D core basically can’t be fixed but I’d be playing Albert every night with seider, chiarot with Ed and whoever is going out of the other bozos.

Up front id call up Mazur and Kasper. My lines would be as followed (not perfect but I think fit better)

Copp- Larkin-Raymond
Cat- Kasper- Tank
Mazur- Compher-Kane
Rass- Veleno- Bergy

Albert- Seider
Ed-Chiarot
Whoever
I agree, the lines and personnel needs to change.

I’d do something like:

Raymond - Larkin - Kane
DBC - Compher - Tarasenko
Berggren - Kasper - Mazur
Veleno - Copp - Rasmussen

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Copp- Larkin-Raymond
Cat- Kasper- Tank
Mazur- Compher-Kane
Rass- Veleno- Bergy

Albert- Seider
Ed-Chiarot
Whoever
OMG, lol. Yeah, Copp on the top line fixes everything. I'm literally ROFL.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
I think more youth will be worked in this year. It’s still early.

Meanwhile, 85% of the roster is filler. We’re still several years away from being a real competitive team that potentially contends. Because after Larkin at age 28, and maaaaaaybe DeBrincat at age 26, the players in this organization who project to likely be part of the core of a contender in the future are aged…

So we’re talking about 5 years before this collective group is near or around their prime.

In the meantime, continue trying to get the best filler you can to try to sneak into the playoffs to give the young guys that experience. Will be difficult to do with this much filler, most of which is mediocre filler, but hey, what’s fandom without copious amounts of pain.

Reactions: FabricDetails

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
The main issue is that if you signed Larkin you should surround him with good players in order to not waste his prime. They tried a half rebuild/half competitive strategy. Either commit fully and you could have received a large haul by trading Larkin or really go for it with him in the lineup.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
The main issue is that if you signed Larkin you should surround him with good players in order to not waste his prime. They tried a half rebuild/half competitive strategy. Either commit fully and you could have received a large haul by trading Larkin or really go for it with him in the lineup.
Larkin is shepherding the team in the transition period between a last place team starting a rebuild to what is hopefully a competitive team. The process would be longer and less likely to succeed without him here. I’m not saying I know that’s a better strategy than trading him for additional assets, but it makes sense and I don’t have a problem with it. He’s critical to bringing Raymond along for instance. There is more stability for the young guys with Larkin here. And there’s still a chance he’ll be a useful player when this team is finally a contender, if they can get to that point.

Reactions: norrisnick

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
Larkin is shepherding the team in the transition period between a last place team starting a rebuild to what is hopefully a competitive team. The process would be longer and less likely to succeed without him here. I’m not saying I know that’s a better strategy than trading him for additional assets, but it makes sense and I don’t have a problem with it. He’s critical to bringing Raymond along for instance. There is more stability for the young guys with Larkin here. And there’s still a chance he’ll be a useful player when this team is finally a contender, if they can get to that point.

Maybe, I think it's a pretty big risk to have him while also waiting for the prospects to make an impact. I don't mind keeping him, but I think you gotta capitalize on his prime years then. The other way you have to hope the prospects actually do pan out and that Larkin is still an impact player when they do.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
OMG, lol. Yeah, Copp on the top line fixes everything. I'm literally ROFL.
He’s better offensively on the wing than in the middle, as shown in NY when he was there. He can also add a heavier element on the cycle/get to net. The top line sure is working really well at the moment lol

Reactions: RedHawkDown

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Maybe, I think it's a pretty big risk to have him while also waiting for the prospects to make an impact. I don't mind keeping him, but I think you gotta capitalize on his prime years then. The other way you have to hope the prospects actually do pan out and that Larkin is still an impact player when they do.
What risk? Was it risky to have Yzerman still around outside of his prime as the core of the team developed around him? It'd be far more risky to not have a legitimately good veteran around.

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
What risk? Was it risky to have Yzerman still around outside of his prime as the core of the team developed around him? It'd be far more risky to not have a legitimately good veteran around.

There's a question as to the offensive ceiling of the prospects and when they might able to contribute , very different than having a Federov,Shanahan etc with Yzerman.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Even though we are the worst in the East we still ahead of Avalanche and Predators.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If the team is still near the bottom in say December that whole strategy goes down the toilet. At some point the team isn't transitioning to anything, it's just permanently stuck in the "we suck but pick 11th" ghetto. Franchise purgatory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad