The Retro Gaming Thread

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Somehow ended up in a situation where I had 30 minutes to kill in a mall and ended up in an independent game store that was basically just all old trade-in stuff... interesting seeing a bunch of (used, open box) games that I had copies of at home with $200+ price tags on them. Guess some of those PS2 JRPGs didn't get a lot of copies printed.

Reactions: Jovavic

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Dungeon Keeper was great even if the balance was garbage. You could perma-stun the final boss (Avatar) with 4 level 4 spiders.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
My six year-old son can now consistently do the shortcuts in Wario Stadium and Rainbow Road in Mario Kart 64.

I've literally never done either, he picked up on them by himself off YouTube.

That game holds up.

Reactions: WarriorOfGandhi

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Don't want to make an entire thread for this but had to post it somewhere and this is as good a place as any. Look if someone recommended a 6 HOUR video essay to me I might tell them to screw off, but I watched this over a week and was blown away by the quality and thoroughness. This documentary is to videogames as Ken Burns is to the Civil War and baseball. Watching the NES to PS2 generations felt like reliving my childhood.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I recently started Banjo Kazooie for the first time in my life as a 33 year old. Growing up I always thought it looked like a cool game but as a kid I never was able to pick it up I remember being able to score a game for my birthday and for Christmas and I always got something else. I didn’t have any friends who owned Banjo Kazooie growing up so I never had an opportunity to trade a game to borrow it so I totally missed out on this series growing up. I played DK64 and Mario 64 as well as Conkers Bad Fur Day as a comparison and I gotta say I feel I missed out on my childhood with this game. I’m enjoying it so far it was pretty challenging but not unfair until I got to Rusty Bucket Bay. It took me several attempts but I finally got the Jiggy that’s timed with the propeller… many times I had thought I had it only to get the Jiggy and hear the celebratory tune only to get killed by the propeller starting up again.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB

Picked this game up for dirt cheap on the Steam summer sale. Never heard of it before but it looks pretty interesting and the creators of Fallout had a hand in it.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Picked this game up for dirt cheap on the Steam summer sale. Never heard of it before but it looks pretty interesting and the creators of Fallout had a hand in it.
I've heard of it and had it on my to-do list for years, but never played it. If you haven't already discovered for yourself, there's an unofficial patch which includes a high resolution patch.

Reactions: mattihp

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I recently started Banjo Kazooie for the first time in my life as a 33 year old. Growing up I always thought it looked like a cool game but as a kid I never was able to pick it up I remember being able to score a game for my birthday and for Christmas and I always got something else. I didn’t have any friends who owned Banjo Kazooie growing up so I never had an opportunity to trade a game to borrow it so I totally missed out on this series growing up. I played DK64 and Mario 64 as well as Conkers Bad Fur Day as a comparison and I gotta say I feel I missed out on my childhood with this game. I’m enjoying it so far it was pretty challenging but not unfair until I got to Rusty Bucket Bay. It took me several attempts but I finally got the Jiggy that’s timed with the propeller… many times I had thought I had it only to get the Jiggy and hear the celebratory tune only to get killed by the propeller starting up again.
You should play the sequel when you’re done, in my opinion it’s better than the original. What are you playing on? I thought the Xbox version was the best.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
You should play the sequel when you’re done, in my opinion it’s better than the original. What are you playing on? I thought the Xbox version was the best.
I just 100% the game the other nite and just wow what a great game. It was cool to me to play this pretty much blind for the first time and without any spoilers as if it were still 1998… unfortunately I played it on Switch NSO and have to hope that they release Tooie on there at some point! Fingers crossed.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Bumping this thread as i need some inspo. Getting really into the retro gaming scene thanks to the help of my new Miyoo Mini +.

Anyone have favourite games from the GBA, GBC, GB, any of the Segas, PS1, or SNES?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Bumping this thread as i need some inspo. Getting really into the retro gaming scene thanks to the help of my new Miyoo Mini +.

Anyone have favourite games from the GBA, GBC, GB, any of the Segas, PS1, or SNES?
GBA
The weird GTA adaption is fun!
Backyard Hockey
Advance Wars
Tokyo Disney Sea
Animaniacs

GBC/GB
Lion King is beautiful
Wario Land
Mario Land 2

Sega MD
Sonic 1-3
James Pond 2
Elitserien 95

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
My SNES recommendation list would be like this:

Final Fantasy 6/3
Final Fantasy 4/2
Earthbound
Zelda: Link to the Past
Secret of Mana
Soul Blazer
Mega Man X
Super Mario World
Super Mario RPG
Super Metroid
Shadowrun
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Super Punch Out

There are others beyond that. Everybody loves Chrono Trigger, and it's definitely worth playing as an RPG, but didn't captivate me the way FF6 or the others on the list did. Just personal preference. Donkey Kong Country as well, the graphics are weird to modern CGI eyes, but it's a fun platformer. I just don't love it as much as other games on the system. I also like Uncharted Waters New Horizons, but it might be too slow for a lot of people. Same with Harvest Moon, I loved it in 1997 but it was very underdeveloped and after the N64 and PS1 versions came out, the SNES one is borderline unplayable by comparison - and definitely too slow and strategic if you want to breeze through the best of the SNES and other systems. I also never really got into Star Fox and think it's aged poorly anyway. Wing Commander is what I'd recommend for a space shooter. Kirby Superstar is fun but more a collection of short mini games than a fully developed game on its own right. Lastly, Super Ghouls n Ghosts is one of my favorites but I would only cautiously recommend it since it's notoriously difficult to get a handle of the controls and platforming.

Reactions: Jovavic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad