The Rebuild: Inside the Montreal Canadiens docuseries discussion (Episode 1 and 2 now available on Crave)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Chantale the master of whispers lol
whispers in the ears of everybody
She can whisper in my ears.

Chantale: **whispers** I filed restaining order against you

Me: 😍 quoi ma cherie?

Security arrived

Me:
giphy.gif

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Resting on our great history was basically how Bergevin could skate through 10 years of doing nothing.

There's ways to recognize our history and still push things forward. We don't need to do a torch ceremony for a 20th year in a row. Seriously, we started doing it when Andrei Kostitsyn was a rookie.

Andrei Kostitsyn.

Man, how the hell did Montreal's history buy Bergevin ten years? Wasn't he the one icing out alumni?

People really do say anything. You really don't have to make it that deep. Bergevin lasted ten years because Geoff Molson stupidly believed in him as an executive for close to that long. Not much else.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Man, how the hell did Montreal's history buy Bergevin ten years? Wasn't he the one icing out alumni?

People really do say anything. You really don't have to make it that deep. Bergevin lasted ten years because Geoff Molson stupidly believed in him as an executive for close to that long. Not much else.
Molson might have figured Savard complaining would be sour grapes. but Lafleur et al should have gone to Molson about MB and he should have been fired just for his treatment of the former players.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Molson might have figured Savard complaining would be sour grapes. but Lafleur et al should have gone to Molson about MB and he should have been fired just for his treatment of the former players.

I don't think it would have mattered. Molson believed in Bergevin. He believed in him so much that he was willing to give interviews where he'd admit that Bergevin got taken to the cleaners on multiple trades but that he still believed in him and that he was a good GM. That was years before he fired him.

Molson had faith in a really bad GM, probably based on the early success he had. He's not the first and he won't be the last. There's zero indication that the club's history had anything to do with it, especially when talking about a guy who seemed at best indifferent to it.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I read a quote that Molson was surprised the fan base accepted the rebuild. Really?! Should’ve been done years ago. Not to mention the overhaul of management and talent evaluation/developement.

Reactions: BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Crave could do a whole hour on leafs fans coming to terms with their inadequacy. I'd subscribe for that.
The first episode would start with them watching the torch ceremony...

I'm telling you, it was so awesome watching it with them. They were broken by it.

We have Lafleur, they have Rick Vaive.

Last edited:

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
They use the Habs tradition / story / etc to sell tickets and market the team. If you do that and your opening ceremony looks lame compared to the Rocket, you’ll get called out.

Myself I don’t expect much but it was noticeably bad last year
I agree. Although that snoozer Leaf opener was worse.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah that's the point,, the days of Andrei Kostitsyn are over but we are still using a tired ceremony involving a torch from when he was a rookie.

The novelty is gone... they need to come up with something new and innovative, they can still have call backs to historical moments and things, it just doesn't need to be a torch.
The torch goes back a lot farther than Andrei Kostistyn man. It's part of our whole history. That poem has been in the dressing room since 1952.

I mean they could change around how they do it or whatever but I think the torch is f***ing awesome. Imagine Demidov getting the torch as a rookie and then passing it on to the next generation when he's retired with some cups to his credit. That's f***ing amazing. I'm just sorry Price didn't get a chance to win here.

Anyway whatever... I guess I'm in the minority on this but I loved it.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The torch goes back a lot farther than Andrei Kostistyn man. It's part of our whole history. That poem has been in the dressing room since 1952.

I mean they could change around how they do it or whatever but I think the torch is f***ing awesome. Imagine Demidov getting the torch as a rookie and then passing it on to the next generation when he's retired with some cups to his credit. That's f***ing amazing. I'm just sorry Price didn't get a chance to win here.

Definitely in the minority, everyone's over it.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

I'm a fan. Love the concept, respect the tradition. I'd be thrilled to see it stay as a core theme of the ceremony. HOWEVER, I have little interest in watching every single player be involved. It's just too slow and played out at this point.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

I like the torch myself but it needs to be used sparingly and in the right context such as when there is a need to show the physical passing of one era of the team to the next. The best times it was used was when we had such imagery such as Dryden giving the torch to Price. The novelty wore off for many because of just have frequent they seemed to use the torch.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal

I don't mind the torch, because of its history and part of the motto of the team. That said, it doesn't need to be the focus of the ceremony. Could only the the captain at the end. Torch-centric ceremonies have been overdone.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Let’s all agree that it’s time to move on from the Coldplay riff. That song belongs in the end credits of corny movies not our hypermasculine hockey arenas

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm a fan. Love the concept, respect the tradition. I'd be thrilled to see it stay as a core theme of the ceremony. HOWEVER, I have little interest in watching every single player be involved. It's just too slow and played out at this point.
Yeah, like I said you could modify it.

Reactions: Draft

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Way too much French in every episode, why wouldn't you just do a French and English version of the 8 episodes?

As someone who's highly comfortable with both, I didn't mind, but I thought it was a major oversight. Bon Cop, Bad Cop had three versions, full French, full English and Bilingual and that's how they should've went about it.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Let’s all agree that it’s time to move on from the Coldplay riff. That song belongs in the end credits of corny movies not our hypermasculine hockey arenas
Hypermasculine? Rofl. Ok man.

Like, I'm shocked Fix You is still playing almost 20 years later and I wouldn't mind if they moved on to something else.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I read a quote that Molson was surprised the fan base accepted the rebuild. Really?! Should’ve been done years ago. Not to mention the overhaul of management and talent evaluation/developement.
The media kept saying the fans wouldn't accept a rebuild and Molson saw that a lot more than random fan's comment online requesting one unfortunatly.

The real problem here is how the Montréal sport media is disconnected from the fanbase. They were already complaining last year about the lack of playoffs..it was year 2 of the rebuild.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

I think he believed the lies, or Bergevin told him he could rebuild on the fly

As someone who's highly comfortable with both, I didn't mind, but I thought it was a major oversight. Bon Cop, Bad Cop had three versions, full French, full English and Bilingual and that's how they should've went about it.
Underrated movie.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad