The President's Trophy deserves way more respect.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
It's ridiculous that so many NHL fans deride the President's Trophy and dismiss it as meaningless. Teams and players should take pride in being more successful than 31 other teams over an 82-game sample size. It's a testament to the group's talent, consistency, effort, and cohesion. Fans should be grateful and thrilled to watch their team win night-in and night-out for seven months.

I've long held this opinion, but--as a Panthers fan--the time is right to declare it.
The 2021-22 President's Trophy run was by far the most entertaining season of hockey I've ever watched. It was disappointing when they were swept in the second round, but that couldn't negate how much fun the lead-up was. The 2022-23 season couldn't even keep me engaged until the playoffs. As the 2023-24 season concluded, I found myself really, really hoping they could win enough games to catch the President's Trophy again. Obviously the playoffs were exhilarating, but they were equally stressful since the small sample size of each series is so luck dependent. You're more focused on your team not losing as opposed to actually winning.

When we look at team (and to a lesser extent player) success, the President's Trophy should count a tier below the Cup.
For example, in the Salary Cap Era, the Kings have won 2 cups (one entirely on the back of Jonathan Quick), 10 playoff series, and made the playoffs 9 times. Can anybody seriously claim that they've been more successful than the Capitals and Bruins? Does anybody really believe that they're more comparable to the Lightning and Blackhawks than the Blues and Red Wings?

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
>Can anybody seriously claim that they've been more successful than the Capitals and Bruins

Even caps and bruins players would say the Kings have been more successful in the salary cap era. If it was the presidents trophy league then you'd have a point, but you don't. At all.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
>Can anybody seriously claim that they've been more successful than the Capitals and Bruins

Even caps and bruins players would say the Kings have been more successful in the salary cap era. If it was the presidents trophy league then you'd have a point, but you don't. At all.
They would say that because that's what they're expected to say and would be pilloried otherwise. I find it impossible to believe that even half of them would rather have spent the past 20 years on the Kings roster than the Bruins'.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's ridiculous that so many NHL fans deride the President's Trophy and dismiss it as meaningless. Teams and players should take pride in being more successful than 31 other teams over an 82-game sample size. It's a testament to the group's talent, consistency, effort, and cohesion. Fans should be grateful and thrilled to watch their team win night-in and night-out for seven months.

I've long held this opinion, but--as a Panthers fan--the time is right to declare it.
The 2021-22 President's Trophy run was by far the most entertaining season of hockey I've ever watched. It was disappointing when they were swept in the second round, but that couldn't negate how much fun the lead-up was. The 2022-23 season couldn't even keep me engaged until the playoffs. As the 2023-24 season concluded, I found myself really, really hoping they could win enough games to catch the President's Trophy again. Obviously the playoffs were exhilarating, but they were equally stressful since the small sample size of each series is so luck dependent. You're more focused on your team not losing as opposed to actually winning.

When we look at team (and to a lesser extent player) success, the President's Trophy should count a tier below the Cup.
For example, in the Salary Cap Era, the Kings have won 2 cups (one entirely on the back of Jonathan Quick), 10 playoff series, and made the playoffs 9 times. Can anybody seriously claim that they've been more successful than the Capitals and Bruins? Does anybody really believe that they're more comparable to the Lightning and Blackhawks than the Blues and Red Wings?

For me it means nothing... good news--you won the regular season--lets see what you do playoff time.

I have posted this many times and still people do not get it

IT IS ALL ABOUT WINNING THE CUP

Seriously-who cares how a team makes the playoffs--getting the most pts or sliding in on the last day of the season.

IT IS ALL ABOUT WINNING THE CUP.

Reactions: Leaf fan on LI

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Well, I think the Stanley Cup is so important in the NHL, that no one is really trying that hard to win The President's Trophy. For example, if a team was two points behind in the Presidents race, they might still rest banged up star players for the playoffs.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Hard no. Bad take. 8 of near 40 teams to win the Presidents have won the Cup.

We only care about Champions. The Presidents, divisions, EC/WC, etc are all loser banners without a Cup next to them.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
They would say that because that's what they're expected to say and would be pilloried otherwise. I find it impossible to believe that even half of them would rather have spent the past 20 years on the Kings roster than the Bruins'.
Kings have 2 cups, that's all the players care about. 135 points in regular season was nice for the bruins and all, but after the 3-1 chokejob against florida do you think any of those Bruins players care at all about that? The answer is no.

Reactions: CBJx614

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The Caps were a long-time bridesmaid in the 2009-2017 period, and it was only after winning the Cup that this sort of take began to sound even remotely reasonable. Until then, it was excruciating being excellent until the playoffs and then bowing out early.

The Cup win rounds out an era, and only then can you appreciate how consistently good a team was for a long stretch. Take away that validation, though, and it's very bittersweet.

The Nationals had the same sort of trajectory over the same period in DC. Very good for a very long time, no postseason success. Then both the Caps and Nats won 15 months apart.

Reactions: Voight

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
For me it means nothing... good news--you won the regular season--lets see what you do playoff time.

I have posted this many times and still people do not get it

IT IS ALL ABOUT WINNING THE CUP

Seriously-who cares how a team makes the playoffs--getting the most pts or sliding in on the last day of the season.

IT IS ALL ABOUT WINNING THE CUP.
Counterpoint:
Why?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
While the ultimate goal is the cup and you'd trade presidents trophies for cups any day of the week, I agree that the President's Trophy is something to be proud of.

The fact that it's not only dismissed but you actually see fans who are bad at math on here actually root for their teams not to win it because it's supposedly cursed is ridiculous to me.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Kings have 2 cups, that's all the players care about.
No it demonstrably is not.

135 points in regular season was nice for the bruins and all, but after the 3-1 chokejob against florida do you think any of those Bruins players care at all about that? The answer is no.
By your logic, the only thing that matters is whether you win the cup or lose the cup. Are you saying that--given the choice--they would have no preference between
  • having a mediocre season and choking a 3-1 lead
  • having a record breaking season and choking a 3-1 lead
Surely there would be some. But you're lying to yourself if you think even half wouldn't take the option with a lot more winning.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
No it demonstrably is not.

By your logic, the only thing that matters is whether you win the cup or lose the cup. Are you saying that--given the choice--they would have no preference between
  • having a mediocre season and choking a 3-1 lead
  • having a record breaking season and choking a 3-1 lead
Surely there would be some. But you're lying to yourself if you think even half wouldn't take the option with a lot more winning.
"the only thing that matters is whether you win the cup or lose the cup." Bingo, you got it bud.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Counterpoint:
Why?

It's tough to answer, but the playoffs do exist. If the Stanley Cup wasn't created, and the playoffs were not a thing then 1st place in the NHL would mean everything.

The Stanley Cup exists, and it is seen as a very prestigious trophy. Regular season is just a warmup for the Stanley Cup playoffs. You win the President's Trophy, all you get is a banner and home ice advantage in every round of the playoffs. That's how it's been for decades. One day they might abolish the playoffs and the 1st place team after 82 games gets the Cup, then it will mean something. Until then, regular season is just a warm up for the real thing.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So a sample size of 7 games that the 23 Bruins lost 4 of by 1 goal means more than an 82 game sample size when they were the best regular season team arguably in history? Do you guys realize how much luck plays into these short series?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It might be just copium but there's a ton of random variance in a seven game series between two good teams that can swing a result. But over an 82 game sample size you have a good picture of he quality of the team.

European soccer leagues determine champions by season standings and don't have playoffs.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Counterpoint:
Why?
The NHL needs to incentivize things. The lowest two teams get relegated. The top team in each conference gets a few million dollars each player. Funded of course by the fans. So that the fans are also engaged in the presidents trophy race.

Then the top team and in each conference and the remaining top 2 point getting teams regardless of conference will do a round Robin for the Stanley Cup. Tie breaker decided by penalty kicks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad