The possibility of Laine scoring over 100 points?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I believe the Jets upcoming cap crunch will go a long ways towards deciding whether Laine will be scoring 100 points in his career. Is it feasible that the Jets will sign all of Connor, Laine and Wheeler to big contracts with Ehlers already under one? That's too much money to be tied up in wingers IMO. There will be an odd man out, and it could very well be Laine.

Well that’s good, now everyone can be a little less worried now.

Also why would you complain about having to pay 4 Wingers, the Jets just had 114pts with them being a major reason because of it, why not focus on your own teams cap troubles before you spew a nonsense argument like that.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Laine IMO is most definitely an elite play-maker.

Playing with that PP and that powerhouse too six as well as ehlers little and stastny for a bit and this elite playmaker couldn’t manage more then 26 assists in 82 games last year?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Playing with that PP and that powerhouse too six as well as ehlers little and stastny for a bit and this elite playmaker couldn’t manage more then 26 assists in 82 games last year?

I always look at more than just total assists, and just watching Laine play over the years I've always seen a high end passing ability.

This guy on youtube named NHL Suomi pretty much tracks down all Finn plays, including Laine's assists, check out some of the pin-point lasers this guy can dish out.

This is another thing that people always judge people like Matthews with(not you), they look at his assist totals, but when you watch him play you realize he's an elite play maker as well.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I always look at more than just total assists, and just watching Laine play over the years I've always seen a high end passing ability.

This guy on youtube named NHL Suomi pretty much tracks down all Finn plays, including Laine's assists, check out some of the pin-point lasers this guy can dish out.

This is another thing that people always judge people like Matthews with(not you), they look at his assist totals, but when you watch him play you realize he's an elite play maker as well.

I think where I have the issue isnjust he word elite. He is a great playmaker like Matthews so maybe its just the elite word.

He also has such a great opportunity in a winning team with some of the most talented players everywhere on the ice to do his thing. But he is an excellent talent and overall he is an elite young talent but in that category he’s good to great just not elite IMO.

Like he isn’t a top five playmaker. For instance which is elite.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I think where I have the issue isnjust he word elite. He is a great playmaker like Matthews so maybe its just the elite word.

He also has such a great opportunity in a winning team with some of the most talented players everywhere on the ice to do his thing. But he is an excellent talent and overall he is an elite young talent but in that category he’s good to great just not elite IMO.

Like he isn’t a top five playmaker. For instance which is elite.

Laine is the best passer in the Jets. It's not even close, his vision and stick ability (ability to get passes to receiver) has no rival in Jets. Sure, there might be a couple better in the league but none of them have the best shot in the game of hockey. Laine does. On top of being an incredible playmaker. The threat of his shot and his high hockey IQ creates tap in goals for teammates.

Most people don't have a clue how smart of a player he is. Most of the time he uses the threat of his shot to open room in better areas and he passes to them. With Scheifele they are in the back of the net most times, with Ehlers (today) it's never a goal.

Reactions: 1OApick and Se829ne

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Laine is the best passer in the Jets. It's not even close, his vision and stick ability (ability to get passes to receiver) has no rival in Jets. Sure, there might be a couple better in the league but none of them have the best shot in the game of hockey. Laine does. On top of being an incredible playmaker. The threat of his shot and his high hockey IQ creates tap in goals for teammates.

Most people don't have a clue how smart of a player he is. Most of the time he uses the threat of his shot to open room in better areas and he passes to them. With Scheifele they are in the back of the net most times, with Ehlers (today) it's never a goal.

Laine is not the best passer on the jets and if he were it would be close due to the other talented forward there.

You think he is a better passer then wheeler and scheifele. Even Connor and Ehlers seem good but the first two there is absolutely no way.

Why wouldn’t we have a clue how smart he is, they get tons of coverage I watch then all the time.

His assists total would be way higher especially playing with that top unit and players.

Saying Laine is the best passer on the jets is one thing, saying it’s not even close is quite another.

literally no one will agree with that.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

So I guess the lack of production is deployment related?

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014

There is nothing new or brilliant about snipers using the threat of their shots to open passing lanes. Look at how Kessel and Stamkos have transformed into playmakers over the last couple of seasons. I don't see anyone calling them brilliant. It's a fundamental strategic adjustment to tight defensive coverage and cheating goalies.

Blake Wheeler is, for now, a much stronger playmaker than Laine. I'd also put Scheif ahead of him. I do think he has very strong vision and creativity, he just usually doesn't get enough time and space outside of the powerplay with his skating in the state it's in.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I dont see it.. Over 50 goals yes but i dont see him breaking the 100 point mark.

Who knows tho

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Instead of pushing this narrative that Laine is some kind of transcendent playmaker let's just acknowledge that most star caliber NHL goal scorers are also good passers.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Laine's seemingly underrated passing ability is obscured by the facts, that in potential scoring situations he:

1. often prefer take shot from spots where most other guys would try to make a pass
2. is utilized mostly as Go-To-Guy in Jets (=primary role is to score goals)
3. is often lowest forward of the line during offense
4. Maurice yelling behind a bench: "You have a puck, you shoot first!" not "You have a puck, try make a saucer pass first!" (Which Laine is very well capable to do anyway.)
5. even without puck often creates a lot more of space to play for his line mates, never credited with assists for his 'passive' role in those situation. In other words the potential threat of his shot is considered so high, that it forces defense to over-commit to him (often 2-on-1); opposing teams expect he will always try shoot first... obviously.

No logic can ever support any claims about "bad in accurate passing and low IQ" in case of Patrik Laine when same guy can make 100mph pin-point accurate shots from the perimeter from 2-1 guarded positions within very short timeframes, in shooting locations found by using exactly that same IQ required from good/great playmakers.

It wouldn't optimal solution to use Laine primarily as a playmaker.

Reactions: Halberdier

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I just don’t see the playmaking skills honestly. I think it’s more likely he gets 60 goals than 40 assists.

Well, you are not alone. Not long ago there were other guys as well claiming him to be one-dimensional. Majority of them have then started actually watching him already and stopped that nonsense though.

In real reality he has got really high hockey IQ and superb passing skills. He will probably have a bit more goals than assists in the future as well, but he surely can make those breakout passes, passes through the box etc. From tape to tape and hard.

Even if he didn't have any playmaking skills (he really has those), he would get a lot of assists from rebounds and deflections. And obviously those infamous 2nd assists by playing on PP.

If he was utilized as the 1st winger by the Jets next season, it's not impossible he hits that sky high target of 100 points next season already, though obviously everything has to click perfectly for that.

He has had couple of really long scoring sprees on both of his seasons where he has been 1st or 2nd best point scorer in the NHL, so he has the upside. He just need to be utilized properly (so not the way he was last season and towards the end of his rookie season) and he must be fit. If that happens, anything between 90-110 points is possible.

If they continue the ELL treatment and criminally low TOI, he will have hard time to score even that 70 points.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
As A jet fan I don't see Laine ever scoring about 100 points. I've watch every game he has played and he is one of the best pure goal scores since Ovi in his prime. Problem is the rest of his game hurts the Jets and does not help them.

Delusional, much? His goal differential on 5-on-5 game state is highest for the Jets since he entered the league. Let that sink in.

It's not only impossible he would just hurt the Jets while not scoring, and still be the most winning guy of the team 5-on-5. It's unpossible. Yeah I know that isn't really word, but I have no words for that kind of crap.

Reactions: 1OApick

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Laine is not the best passer on the jets and if he were it would be close due to the other talented forward there.

You think he is a better passer then wheeler and scheifele. Even Connor and Ehlers seem good but the first two there is absolutely no way.

Why wouldn’t we have a clue how smart he is, they get tons of coverage I watch then all the time.

His assists total would be way higher especially playing with that top unit and players.

Saying Laine is the best passer on the jets is one thing, saying it’s not even close is quite another.

literally no one will agree with that.

I think the term he should had used was most accurate not best.

I would tend to agree with the other poster on that as well(Laines passing accuracy is out of this world good), just doesn’t always get it off quick enough in tight traffic. Laine has Elite Offensive IQ but Scheifeles is the best in the Jets without question(Laine in general is as good as anyone at finding ways to score and go unoticed but Scheifele is a wizard he knows different techniques to play against differnt players/lines and it’s always effective in different ways).

As for Playmaking no Laine is pretty good at playmaking due to his accuracy and IQ but he doesn’t have the abilities Scheifele has to dish the puck to the proper spot during contact(pass in tight spaces), dump and chase effectively(Laine is not the greatest in this area, Scheifele is excellent), get the puck into the slot(Scheifele does this one as good as anyone in the NHL) and cycle as effectively, Scheifele creates space and time for his linemates with his smarts, athleticism and physical strengths while Laine relys more on quick but accurate passes, his size(which he hasn’t learned to utilize properly yet) and smarts in those key playmaking moments which haven’t gotten him a superstar amount of assists.

Should also mention Wheeler is a much better overall playmaker too with his astonishing skating ability(for his size he’s as good as it gets), proper use of physicality and motor, he’s a very hard guy to stop from setting up a play.

But yeah as a Laine isn’t in the realm of Scheifele, Wheeler yet.

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Blake Wheeler is, for now, a much stronger playmaker than Laine. I'd also put Scheif ahead of him. I do think he has very strong vision and creativity, he just usually doesn't get enough time and space outside of the powerplay with his skating in the state it's in.

Agreed, that's very accurate analysis about the current state. Or at least what it was most of the last season.

Only when you look at his technical passing ability, hard and accurate passes from tape to tape, he is better than Wheeler and Scheifele. But obviously he needs to get better with his skating and cycle play to unleash his playmaking potential.

And even then it's likely that Wheeler will have a lot more passes due to the play he plays and the role he is used. Well, Wheeler had the most assists last season, 68, which is 1 more than McJesus and tied with Giroux, so it's not that bad thing to have a lot less assists than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: