OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I do wonder if Wilson would request a trade if he doesn't get the starting berth back. Ego aside, this is kind of a make or break season for him as a starter and spending it on the bench is break. I dunno if there's even anywhere he'd want to go right now but the thought has surely got to cross his mind.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Fields lost his job in a piss poor ORG who had a 1ST OA QB replace him. He's not a typical back up. To act as if he is and to suggest as much is being intellectually dishonest.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Reactions: MrBrightside

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Fields lost his job in a piss poor ORG who had a 1ST OA QB replace him. He's not a typical back up. To act as if he is and to suggest as much is being intellectually dishonest.
He was traded for a 6th round pick. He has 3 years of tape out in the nfl to act like he is anything but a backup is being dumb

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
He was traded for a 6th round pick. He has 3 years of tape out in the nfl to act like he is anything but a backup is being dumb
Yup, and so did Sam Darnold (who I wanted ) and now look at how much better he played with the correct coaching. People love to always call players a bust, 50% time the player is usually put in a position to fail.

Which is why I thought it was stupid to dump KP when they did, they never gave him a legit OC to work with. Fact is, Tomlin liked Fields better than KP. We'll eventually find out he was right but it could take years.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Yup, and so did Sam Darnold (who I wanted ) and now look at how much better he played with the correct coaching. People love to always call players a bust, 50% time the player is usually put in a position to fail.

Which is why I thought it was stupid to dump KP when they did, they never gave him a legit OC to work with. Fact is, Tomlin liked Fields better than KP. We'll eventually find out he was right but it could take years.
Darnold did get traded for a 6th plus a 2nd and 4th he was also drafted higher than Justin. Sam has 3 seasons of 2500 plus passing yards in a season
Fields as an elite trait as a runner that is why he is better than KP

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He was traded for a 6th round pick. He has 3 years of tape out in the nfl to act like he is anything but a backup is being
What he was traded for doesn't mean shit! CHI went out of their way to accommodate him and said as much. This was not a typical situation. Context and Nuance is important here. But again to act as if he's a back up in a conventional sense, well, that is dumb!

Case in point: Claypool was traded to da bears for 33rd OA, that didn't in and of itself mean he was a world beater now did it? I'm not so sure we should trust the bears ORG in how they value talent, clearly there's ample evidence of them soiling the bed.

Bryce Young is now benched for Andy Dalton, Young was 1st OA, technically he's now a back up, #context.

If where you were drafted or what you were traded for in and of itself defined your career Purdy would be a practice squad player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Mitch tribsky made a pro bowl and lead the bears to the playoffs. Again Fields in ore season should have been the best player on the field against 2nd and 3rd string players he wasn’t
The last 3 drafts only Purdy and Stroud actually hit and we will see how Purdy does without Cmc and Debo for a month. The league is filled with failed 1st round QBs

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The season is 2 weeks old. Declaring Sam Darnold and Justin Fields fixed because they are playing well over a small sample size is just silly.

Hell last year Fields had 2 weeks where he had 8 passing td's to 1 int and a rating way above 100 in both games and he had a terrible season overall. He's shown flashes of being a star his whole career.

FIelds is on the Steelers, of course I hope he continues to play well, but at this point it is wishful thinking to assume he is the qb of the future.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I am for Fields continuing to start but some of the comments I’ve seen about him are definitely overkill. In my eyes, Fields has played well. Not amazing, just well. He’s played well enough that I’m intrigued to see how he looks with more starts, which is one of the two big reasons I want to see him start over Wilson.

I’ve said this before, but my thoughts are Fields should continue to start until he plays himself out of the spot. It’s for 2 reasons:

1. Fields is young enough where he could be a potential solution for the future, while Wilson is old as hell. Fields could possibly have another level to reach, so I want to see him continue to start to see if he can reach that.

2. I like Fields’ athleticism in this offense and I don’t think Wilson has the athleticism needed to have success behind a very inexperienced OL. I think any throwing talent advantage Wilson has on Fields is negated out by the athleticism advantage Fields has with the current state of the OL.

Reactions: T1K

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
RW time. Can always go back to Fields.

Fields legs have come in handy at times but going to Wilson is an absolute no brainer to me.

have there been a weird amount of penalties that have cost them chunk plays and TDs? Sure. But this team has scored 1 TD. Need to figure out if RW can get them more TDs and points.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Fields legs have come in handy at times but going to Wilson is an absolute no brainer to me.

have there been a weird amount of penalties that have cost them chunk plays and TDs? Sure. But this team has scored 1 TD. Need to figure out if RW can get them more TDs and points.
Having watched the games, how is this a no brainer?

Benching a QB kills his confidence. They’re people, not robots.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Having watched the games, how is this a no brainer?

Benching a QB kills his confidence. They’re people, not robots.
They’ve scored 1 single TD in 2 weeks and thrown for 273 total yards.

Fields has basically given you high end backup play. Why not see what RW can do?

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Fields has basically given you high end backup play. Why not see what RW can do?
The play calling has been conservative and big passing plays have been wiped out because of penalties. Do you think they’re gonna start airing it out with Russ?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

But why do that when Fields is playing well, rather than waiting for him to play himself out of the role?

They’re 2-0 with Fields so far and Fields is playing well. If they start losing with Fields or if Fields starts playing poorly, you can go to Wilson then. I just don’t see a point in going to Wilson right now.

Reactions: T1K

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

i think it comes down to ...
1. do you think his flaws will be corrected faster with him playing, or in practices. bad habits tend to be easier to fix in practice, to get to the place you don't need to think about it. imo

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The play calling has been conservative and big passing plays have been wiped out because of penalties. Do you think they’re gonna start airing it out with Russ?

But why do that when Fields is playing well, rather than waiting for him to play himself out of the role?

They’re 2-0 with Fields so far and Fields is playing well. If they start losing with Fields or if Fields starts playing poorly, you can go to Wilson then. I just don’t see a point in going to Wilson right now.
I do not think fields has played that well tbh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad