OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Lots of things anger me about the ref calls over the first two games, but maybe none more than the calls that AREN’T being made against whoever is defending TJ Watt. This game didn’t appear quite as egregious as the last one, but plenty of infractions went uncalled.

Happy to see Fields do well and Trice get in the mix!

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Was kinda hoping to get Kyler if the Cardinals stunk this year and drafted a QB… doesn’t appear to be in the cards (pun intended).

WR2 an issue as is RAC.

Still a bit worried about the CBs. Haven’t truly been tested yet.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think seeing Malik Willis leading the league for completion % above expected breaks that stat for me. *peeks* Damn, 14 attempts? What the hell happened in that game?

Yeah this is the more frustrating thing to me with how that went down. Khan was playing it as if Aiyuk was a luxury and he'd only do a deal on his terms. That doesn't mean you go out and give the 49ers and Aiyuk anything they want, but not every deal is going to fall in your lap like Fields or Wilson did.

A good GM knows when to play hardball and when to get the guy he needs. Khan has shown to be terrific at playing hardball, but he has not shown the ability to just get the guy this team needs. If you want to win a super bowl, not every deal is going to be a massive win in value.

Maybe they thought they had no holes and he really was a luxury. That'd be weird but there we go. And I'm using they as I don't know who's arguing for what. The hardball bit definitely feels very Khan, but I don't know how hard (or not) Tomlin/Smith/Azzani are pressing for Aiyuk or faith in the WRs they've got, or what Rooney is saying can be done on guaranteed money, and the rest of it.

I do really agree that at some point this iteration of the Steelers needs to get comfy with saying "I need this guy more than I need a bargain".

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I think seeing Malik Willis leading the league for completion % above expected breaks that stat for me. *peeks* Damn, 14 attempts? What the hell happened in that game?

Maybe they thought they had no holes and he really was a luxury. That'd be weird but there we go. And I'm using they as I don't know who's arguing for what. The hardball bit definitely feels very Khan, but I don't know how hard (or not) Tomlin/Smith/Azzani are pressing for Aiyuk or faith in the WRs they've got, or what Rooney is saying can be done on guaranteed money, and the rest of it.

I do really agree that at some point this iteration of the Steelers needs to get comfy with saying "I need this guy more than I need a bargain".
I was going to omit him from this but seeing him there made me chuckle so I left it. He went 12/14 lol

The over/under for Sunday is 36. Has to be one of the lowest numbers in a game without weather or backup QB's playing.
#1 and #2 scoring defenses too

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Another funky stat - Steelers lead the league in rush attempts (77) but are only averaging 3.6 yards per carry (5th worst)

I mean this team is running and the whole world knows it. I think Frazier said the Broncos sent a ton of 6 man rushes in the second half.

Throw in the patented "no fumble" rushes leading up to a field goal and I think it all looks uglier than it is... but it's still pretty ugly.

I was going to omit him from this but seeing him there made me chuckle so I left it. He went 12/14 lol

#1 and #2 scoring defenses too

Huh on the bolded?

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I mean this team is running and the whole world knows it. I think Frazier said the Broncos sent a ton of 6 man rushes in the second half.

Throw in the patented "no fumble" rushes leading up to a field goal and I think it all looks uglier than it is... but it's still pretty ugly.

Huh on the bolded?
Chargers and Steelers defenses have allowed the fewest points through 2 games. Granted, LA played Minshew and Bryce Young

Reactions: Peat

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

These comments from Jones are concerning. He wasn’t ready to play because he didn’t start.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

These comments from Jones are concerning. He wasn’t ready to play because he didn’t start.

That's not how I'm reading it. I'm reading it as him saying if he's not playing so well he's the absolute starter, he shouldn't be playing.

Reactions: Rave7215

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Slightly more passing to the MOF, but still not enough to really threaten defenses.

Progress. I could actually see that offense shaking the needle a bit.

Pickens finishing yesterday with 2 catches for 29 yards may be the most misleading stat line I've ever seen.

Well there are gonna be two players that have misleading statlines in terms of their value to this team:

Pickens and Watt

Teams are going to double and triple team those guys so they don't wreck your day. It's a smart strategy to let Scottie Pippen beat you while you contain Michael Jordan.

I said this during the game. I believe with Watt we are up to 2 sacks, 1 FF, and 1 TFL off of penalties that didn't occur.

Pickens should be near tops in the league right now in yards. He has 8 for 114 and 0 TDs. I think conservatively you can add 3 for 100 and 2 TDs to that. He's have 11 rec, 214, and 2 TDs. Top 5 performance thus far from him.

Carr, Geno Smith, Baker Mayfield, and Sam Darnold are your best QB's this year o_O

People like to say that the ground and pound era is dead, and it's a passing era now. A good game for a QB in the ground and pound was like 250 yards. In the Brady/Brees/Manning/Ben era...300+.

It is just garbage football.

I wanted to see the dude play. I think he's our starter. If he keeps playing this way, he is it. Makes drafting Kenny sting less.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Snap counts

66 offensive snaps, to 61 for Denver. More snaps than opponent first 2 games.
32:19 time of possession, more TOP again. Tomlins plan is excelling.

Justin Fields and OL - all 66 offensive snaps, as did the OL except at RT.

Fautanu - after getting the starting nod, 55 of the 64

Broderick - 11 snaps. Only flagged on 3 of 11.

Van the Man. 54 offensive snaps.
Most snaps of any offensive skill position player not designated the initials of QB
3 targets. 2 catches, 14 yard. Improvement over last week.
Almost ran the clock out before the half to compound Tomlins clock incompetence.
But this can not continue.

Pickens 51

CA3 - 30
Miller - 14
Skowronek - 6

Warren 32 ( 9 carries, 42 yards, 2 catches, 19 yards )
Najee only 30 ( 17-69, 1 catch 5 yards )
Back to where the splits were down the stretch last year, but still not enough JW touches.

36 for 141 as a team running the ball after 41-137 last week is pretty good for what is going on with this OL.
Missing starting LG, In and Out rotation at RT......
a rookie C, a rookie RT sharing time with a 2nd year RT, a second year LG filling in.
That's alot going on with 3/5 of your OL.

The CordPatt Experience - 4 snaps, 2 carries.

TEs - lots of TE snaps.
Mooth - 38
Darnell - 29
Pruit - 28
Connor - 14.

Boswell is Boswell.
Thought he had a 60 yarder in him yesterday.
8 for 8 on the year with half of those 50+
I believe the record for most FG's in a season is 40.
Boz on pace for 68.

The PS have 31 points in 2 games, Boz has 25 of those points.
This, alto amazing to watch his body of work............can not continue to be 80% of the scoring.

DEFENSE

Minkah Fitzpatrick and Patrick Queen all 61 snaps.
Joey Porter Jr. 60

Minka ( 7 ) and Elliott ( 9 ) lead the team in tackles, as they are also 1-2 after 2 games....with 14 and 13 respect....

Queen -61
Payton Wilson -22
Elandon Roberts - 21

I am wishing that Queen would have been leading the Steelers in tackles, but has only 6 thru 2 games.
Your two safeties on pace for 120 tackles each is not a good thing for their health.....the middle linebackers need to be more active.
Much more active....as the trio of Queen, Roberts an the rookie PW have combined for 11 tackles in 2 games.
Thats bad, as the trio is on pace to have a combined 93 tackle for the year.......when you would expect both ILBs to be at 100+
Hope they see this on tape and play better for the home opener and going forward.

OLB's
T.J. Watt - 55 90%
Alex Highsmith - 49
Nick Herbig - 17

Very vanilla.....Man I wish they gave TJ some freedom to come from different spots, other side, step in and out of different gaps.

Donte Jackson - 54
DeShon Elliott - 47
Beanie Bishop -39
Cory Trice -20
Damontae Kazee -20

Cameron Heyward - 41 67%
Larry Ogunjobi -34 56%
Keeanu Benton -27
Montravius Adams - 24
Isaiahh Loudermilk - 15

Pretty good rotation along the DL so far.

DeMarvin Leal - 4

STs
your heavy usage guys on teams so far after 2 games.

Herbig LB - 40
Connor Heyward - 37
Payton Wilson -37
Mark Robinson - 37
Miles Killebrew -37
Tyler Matakevich - 36

Ben Skowronek - 23
Christian Kuntz - 21
Darius Rush - 19
Damontae Kazee - 19

Reactions: wheelz87

Ad