OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Maybe I somehow watched Chiefs vs Ravens via interdimensional cable, but Lamar Jackson was not impressive at all to me. I keep reading all these people saying how great he was and I'm left wondering if I tuned into a different game. He misses so many open receivers. If he gets pressured, his decision-making crumbles and accuracy goes to nothing. When he can't dictate via his legs, he's no better than an average QB. Tomlin seems to be one of the few who've figured that out and that's why he has a career 66.8 rating against the Steelers.

Reactions: lastcupever75

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Maybe I somehow watched Chiefs vs Ravens via interdimensional cable, but Lamar Jackson was not impressive at all to me. I keep reading all these people saying how great he was and I'm left wondering if I tuned into a different game. He misses so many open receivers. If he gets pressured, his decision-making crumbles and accuracy goes to nothing. When he can't dictate via his legs, he's no better than an average QB. Tomlin seems to be one of the few who've figured that out and that's why he has a career 66.8 rating against the Steelers.
I saw a meme but can't find it now that was something along the lines of how Bills QB Josh Allen had a great week one performance and if he can keep it up all season long then Lamar Jackson could win his third MVP.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm probably just looking for reasons to be pessimistic, but I'm growing more and more concerned about Jones not living up to his round 1 hype. He obviously really struggled in the pre-season and gave up 2 sacks and took a penalty in week 1. I know there is some aspect of him playing RT rather than LT, but I was expecting a large jump from him that seemingly hasn't materialized yet.

Frazier was a monster in week 1 though and I was really happy with the little I saw from Anderson, but this team really needs Jones to hit his upside and I'm growing concerned about it.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Being a dick to a cop should not give them license to escalate the situation and react violently. Amazing how many people in the land of the free seem to be ok with living in a police state where cops can drag you from your car because you aren't deferential enough. I don't accept it.
When pulled over. Roll your window down have your license and registration ready. Keep your hands on the steering wheel and answer the questions. You can always get your day in court if you need to

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I'm probably just looking for reasons to be pessimistic, but I'm growing more and more concerned about Jones not living up to his round 1 hype. He obviously really struggled in the pre-season and gave up 2 sacks and took a penalty in week 1. I know there is some aspect of him playing RT rather than LT, but I was expecting a large jump from him that seemingly hasn't materialized yet.

Frazier was a monster in week 1 though and I was really happy with the little I saw from Anderson, but this team really needs Jones to hit his upside and I'm growing concerned about it.
Theres no need to rush Jones. Troy says he prefers RT and outside of Dallas and chargers they don’t play real pass rushers before the bye.
Moore has been solid and will get paid by some team in FA they will play at Lt at age 24 next season. Smith will use Washington to help him if needed but they knew he was your and raw

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
When pulled over. Roll your window down have your license and registration ready. Keep your hands on the steering wheel and answer the questions. You can always get your day in court if you need to

1*hpT0qtS1tXl_0CIH72mxnA.gif

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Reactions: TooManyHumans

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
And to be clear, Hill is a trash person, as the past abuse of women shows. He did not handle it well. I simply think the cops are the ones trained and paid to be better than that and are the ones with all the power so I expect more from them than I do some bozo who got pulled over.

I'd be acting pretty indignant too if some asshole deputy Dewey was banging on my $8000 dollar McLaren window as well.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I am about the last person to say don't worry about Jones, but that stat line is deceptive. The penalty is a very soft off the ball one that could have been levied against just about anyone in any huddle. As for the two sacks, here they are

First off, neither is a sack if Fields feels the pressure. He's on third down in Pittsburgh territory both times so I'm not going to attach too much blame for him opting for hero ball, but he has time to react and another QB would just throw it out of bounds there and avoid the sack, leaving both guys with a cleaner stat line. I'm being harsh on the first but not the second.

I also don't know how PFF calls pressures - are pressures all pressures, or just pressures that don't turn to sacks - but I'd assume if it's the first. If that's the case, those were his only two pressures allowed on the game. Which still ain't great but it's not horrible. Two pressures and two sacks would be really woof but I can't see that being the case given his grade.

Second, the actual sacks... I've changed my mind on that first one over the course of posting it. At first I was "that's Daniels' fault" but I'm guessing that the coach would be telling Jones he has to keep level with Daniels so that if Daniels gets double-teamed (as he was), a guy can't just slip behind Jones. But it's possible that isn't the call. In any case, it's not like Jones actually got beat there. He might have been in the wrong place, but someone didn't go against Jones and just beat him.

The second sack, yeah, he's beat. But if that's his only clean loss of the day with plenty of Grady Jarrett around... well, people will do worse.

I mean the fact I'm saying it wasn't that bad as if he was Spencer Anderson kind of says it all. But it wasn't that bad. Absolutely want more progress but that was head above water imo.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I am about the last person to say don't worry about Jones, but that stat line is deceptive. The penalty is a very soft off the ball one that could have been levied against just about anyone in any huddle. As for the two sacks, here they are

First off, neither is a sack if Fields feels the pressure. He's on third down in Pittsburgh territory both times so I'm not going to attach too much blame for him opting for hero ball, but he has time to react and another QB would just throw it out of bounds there and avoid the sack, leaving both guys with a cleaner stat line. I'm being harsh on the first but not the second.

I also don't know how PFF calls pressures - are pressures all pressures, or just pressures that don't turn to sacks - but I'd assume if it's the first. If that's the case, those were his only two pressures allowed on the game. Which still ain't great but it's not horrible. Two pressures and two sacks would be really woof but I can't see that being the case given his grade.

Second, the actual sacks... I've changed my mind on that first one over the course of posting it. At first I was "that's Daniels' fault" but I'm guessing that the coach would be telling Jones he has to keep level with Daniels so that if Daniels gets double-teamed (as he was), a guy can't just slip behind Jones. But it's possible that isn't the call. In any case, it's not like Jones actually got beat there. He might have been in the wrong place, but someone didn't go against Jones and just beat him.

The second sack, yeah, he's beat. But if that's his only clean loss of the day with plenty of Grady Jarrett around... well, people will do worse.

I mean the fact I'm saying it wasn't that bad as if he was Spencer Anderson kind of says it all. But it wasn't that bad. Absolutely want more progress but that was head above water imo.

PFF can be VERY deceiving.

From another site (not my words):

The reasons why are multiple but here are some that stand out from grading of Steelers & Ravens games.

1. They have Broderick Jones as responsible for 2 sacks. He wasn't involved in either.

2. Odafe Oweh's grade. I saw Oweh on PFF show was one of highest graded Ravens. I raised an eyebrow, yes, he was good in run D but otherwise ...mediocre.

Then I looked at his grading. PFF gave him a 90-coverage grade. Just one big f***ing problem with that. According to PFF Oweh had zero coverage snaps. So, did they give him this grade based on vibes?

3. Porter Jr. Overall had him at 62 grade. Which I thought was odd. He missed a tackle (badly TBF) but made his other 3. For that? He received a 37 tackling grade and a 33 run D grade. That run didn't go a TD or a splash play. Seems harsh to say the least. Especially considering London had 1 catch for 7 yards v Porter. That is all Porter gave up all game.

PFF if used in tandem with other sources is fine but as sole barometer it is not valid.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Agreed. He was considered to be a raw prospect so I still have hope, but so far he has been looking like a fringe starter at best.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
PFF I think generally does a good job with providing some access to more advanced stats but their grades for the most part are an absolute joke that they’ve tricked the media into buying into (see Garrett, Myles).

Pass rush and pass block win rates are somewhat subjective I think but ESPN’s stats paint both Jones and Moore in a positive light. For all the shit Moore gets, he had a pretty great game.

Reactions: Peat

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Basically any state that 95 runs through I believe it's a felony. I make the trek from Pittsburgh to Sarasota. Radar detectors are very helpful. Georgia State Patrol literally camp out in the woods with lasers. It's absurd how far some states go.
Some of the 95 heavy enforcement has to do with drug trafficking. So yea, those types of lengths for speeding makes sense to me, honestly. Most drug cases stem from speed or other relatively minor traffic violations.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
PFF I think generally does a good job with providing some access to more advanced stats but their grades for the most part are an absolute joke that they’ve tricked the media into buying into (see Garrett, Myles).

Pass rush and pass block win rates are somewhat subjective I think but ESPN’s stats paint both Jones and Moore in a positive light. For all the shit Moore gets, he had a pretty great game.

Which isn't all that far from what PFF are saying. They had the team as the third best pass blocking team. They gave a lot of love to Daniels, Moore, and Frazier, and while Jones and Anderson didn't do as well, they weren't graded as awful. The granular details tho are always worth picking at.

I'd add that your post has just made me realise that the most perfectly annoying end to the Dan Moore saga is him finally becoming the LT the coaches think he is after three frustrating years, just in time to go elsewhere because the team already drafted his replacement.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Which isn't all that far from what PFF are saying. They had the team as the third best pass blocking team. They gave a lot of love to Daniels, Moore, and Frazier, and while Jones and Anderson didn't do as well, they weren't graded as awful. The granular details tho are always worth picking at.

I'd add that your post has just made me realise that the most perfectly annoying end to the Dan Moore saga is him finally becoming the LT the coaches think he is after three frustrating years, just in time to go elsewhere because the team already drafted his replacement.

I’ve got a feeling that Dan Moore will get a contract from some team in free agency that will make Steelers fans puke/laugh/both.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
On the 1st sack foster broke it down. He said it was supposed to be a de dt game and it should have been passed off to jones but Grady decided to split them instead of going with the game. Jones and Daniels talked about it on the sideline. Daniels also starts slow in the season

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
So I heard Scotty Miller never held for kicks prior to Sunday.

I’m the biggest Mike Tomlin hater there is but after listening to Scotty Miller explain at practice Mike Tomlin noticed they needed a back up holder and asked if he could do it and he’s like sure I could do it. I feel like I gotta give Tom some props on that one.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Sure. That is good advice. That does not mean if you don't do that that the police are entitled to get physical over a dickish attitude.

Cops on a fundamental level, just want to go home to their families after they are done working. No different from you or I.

Bc cops are human, they respond to any escalation by a suspect with further escalation bc they need to maintain power and control over the situation. That end goal of maintaining control sometimes comes at the expense of off the cuff remarks or behavior.

Can people really argue with the statement of: if Tyrek would have rolled his window down, we wouldn't be dealing with this sideshow?

I'm willing to lay money down that the cop had the intention of giving a citation for reckless driving/speeding and allowing Hill to be on his merry way. Hell, the cop may have given Hill a warning once he found out who he was. But Hill's actions sent this situation down an entirely different path.

Note I'm in no way excusing the cop(s) for putting him down on the ground twice. That seemed unnecessary, but Hill chose his own adventure and bears responsibility for his actions too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad