OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Harris just doesn't have modern nfl speed, that's why he can't rack up high ypc and requires large volume to reach quality production.

Almost all backs are similar in their production outside of the true freaks like prime Henry, Chubb or McCaffrey who also plays in a perfect offensive system for his talents. Reliant on offensive scheme and quality of blocking to succeed. Hence why almost no backs are paid highly.

Backs who consistently produce high ypc for the most part do so thanks to the 3-5 runs per game that the playcall or line creates enough open space for them to gain 20+ yard bursts, otherwise they're just like most other backs in which they'll gain 3-5 yards depending on blocking. Even Henry who Harris was laughably compared to due to similar size largely runs for 3-5 yards per attempt, but has the x factor of if in the open field being capable of running for a 50+ yard TD because of his freakish speed for his size.

Harris simply can't take advantage of those 3-5 chances per game like other quicker backs can.

Just like in his best run yesterday, where Harris will run for like a 15 yard gain off a cutback up the middle while plowing through a few of the secondary before being gang tackled, other backs will simply outrun the secondary all together once through the hole or reach the edge and run down the sideline, gaining those 20-30+ yard chunk plays that is what actually pads ypc averages for runningbacks.
Its insane that Warren hasn't been the #1 back for 2 years now. Way more efficient than Harris. Now for some reason washed Patterson put Warren to #3 on the depth chart, despite a 5.3 AVG.

Its all about optics, can't admit that 1st round pick on Harris was a huge waste. especially when you see the RBs taken after him. terrible value.

But dumb fans who don't understand anything want to pay him big because of "3 straight 1,000 yard seasons!" without adding any context to those numbers. Like with DJ, losing Harris would be addition by subtraction, because it forces the coaching staff to put more volume of plays on Warren, like with Pickens losing DJ, who took all his targets.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Nah, I'm not going to do that. If you can't recognize the pattern by now, you are choosing not to and will just try to hand waive it away by saying he 'let his emotions get the best of him' or whatever.

I'm not even saying they should get rid of him, but it's something that needs to be managed and it should not surprise anybody if/when things boil over.
That play where he kept running on the last play of the first half with 3 seconds left really stood out, He just got lucky he stepped out by accident. He clearly only cares about his stats, not winning. Hes gonna boil over like AB at some point.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think it’s reasonable to let Russ get a start in week 2 if he’s healthy. Give him a shot at redemption and if he stinks go back to Fields.
Russ should start, but they also should use Fields as a decoy or in shot yard situations. Get him like 5-10 plays a game.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Warren is still dealing with a hamstring issue and he was likely limited in week 1, which is why he had such fewer carries than either Harris or Patterson.

I dunno that it was just the hamstring. I thought there was a deliberate attritional game plan involving a lot of carries right up the middle into crowded boxes that just isn't Warren's strong suit. If you look at Patterson's carries, 3/4 came in situations where the team had pretty much already decided to settle for a field goal and wanted a big body to take it (but felt they'd already used Harris enough). There's not really a reason to give those carries to Warren instead of Patterson, particularly if you consider Warren's fumble history.

Maybe they'd have found more work for him if his hamstring was better.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It’s extremely fair to view Warren as a superior player to Najee. It’s also extremely fair to question if Warren’s efficiency would be as good as it is if he was used as a feature back in this offense the past 2 seasons. Especially on early “run” downs with a OC/QB combo that allowed defensive coordinators to really stack the box.

I prefer Warren’s style in the modern NFL but think they both benefit from the other.

I do not think the team is concerned about optics. They declined his 5th year option. They’ve already had to take some egg on the face re: Dotson, Green, Canada, Pickett.

They can be stubborn but calling fans “dumb” and using optics as the reasoning Najee gets snaps is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, is it not?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That play where he kept running on the last play of the first half with 3 seconds left really stood out, He just got lucky he stepped out by accident. He clearly only cares about his stats, not winning. Hes gonna boil over like AB at some point.
To be fair, I'm not sure if that play was selfishness or just plain stupidity. Either way, not great, but got away with it this time.

Probably not a great sign this will be his 3rd stint with the team and I don't remember his name at all :laugh: At least it's not Harvin, I guess.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Probably not a great sign this will be his 3rd stint with the team and I don't remember his name at all :laugh: At least it's not Harvin, I guess.

@bigdaddyk88 knows him for sure! You know.. from being Mr. Tomlins spokesman since 2007. He prefers to be called Sir Mister though. And They get to hang out all day and do cool stuff too!

Ask the right questions, you might get the right answers!

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
It's exactly what he did in this argument. Now it's somehow transformed into a debate about MOF throwing to "well what is the rank with QB spending?". It's PR speak and again it would not surprise me if the Steelers employed people to go on message boards to speak propaganda about how great this franchise is.
Muth said they purposely avoided the middle of the field because of bates and Simmons

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
How about lets wait a few more games and see whether they target the middle of the field when that's the opposition's weak point, or whether there's always a reason they don't throw there?

Reactions: Andy99

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Spencer Anderson quietly a fantastic 7th round selection.

Was going to say that. They can DRAFT linemen. They just can't DEVELOP linemen. Anderson looks really good though. Him and Frazier get immediate push and worked well together. Very good chance we see a Jones-Anderson-Frazier-McCormick-Fautanu line and that line would be pretty formidable.

It’s extremely fair to view Warren as a superior player to Najee. It’s also extremely fair to question if Warren’s efficiency would be as good as it is if he was used as a feature back in this offense the past 2 seasons. Especially on early “run” downs with a OC/QB combo that allowed defensive coordinators to really stack the box.

I prefer Warren’s style in the modern NFL but think they both benefit from the other.

I do not think the team is concerned about optics. They declined his 5th year option. They’ve already had to take some egg on the face re: Dotson, Green, Canada, Pickett.

They can be stubborn but calling fans “dumb” and using optics as the reasoning Najee gets snaps is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, is it not?

I think Warren is the better fit because this line is going to get these guys to the 2nd level. Najee runs in quick sand and he's constantly trying to go E-W for whatever reason. He's at his best going straight downhill. Warren gets to the 2nd level so much quicker, and I think he'll be able to pop off some good runs.

I really do think they should consider going out and spending some money on a do it all back who is established. Smith's offense appears to run from the inside out. Getting a shifty back that can catch seems like the play to me.

Zach Frazier and Payton Wilson looked really good in their debuts. We'll see if Jones and Fautanu work out, but the last two drafts look like home runs if they do.

Anderson looks great also. Herbig is noticeable. Porter looks to have gotten bigger. He has to be the lankiest CB in the NFL.

I'm happy with the front office, but the execution with some of these players has been a travesty. I'm all for letting guys sit and get seasoned, but the Steeler way doesn't work any longer. These guys come out the box ready to play immediately. These college programs are small pro programs.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad