OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm all for being a tough negotiator and appreciate the patience demonstrated by Khan. At the same time, the idea that Calvin Austin would be a deal breaker in a trade for a top 10 WR in the NFL is utter silliness.
Agreed but we don't know that Khan didn't offer him and SF balked, asking for GP instead. Khan would obviously decline, and maybe then he leaks to his media contacts "no players" when he damn well knows he means "not the players they want".

This has been going on long enough that it could have a bunch of layers and twists and what-have-you. I'm certainly not suggesting this has to be exactly what happened, just a potential scenario (out of a hundred) that wouldn't surprise me.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
I would rather trade a 1st and Highsmith for CD Lamb than overpay for Aiyuk

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I feel like Khan’s sense is Aiyuk has the 9ers frustrated and aggravated. So he made a line in the sand, “No players. How badly do you want rid of him?” And the delay is SF just not wanting to get taken to the cleaners.

I’m tired of the speculation too but glad Khan is not budging (even though I personally would include Austin).
I don’t think CA3 fits what they’re looking for - an X receiver replacement. I think they’d rather have a disgruntled Aiyuk than no suitable replacement at all. If they accept the trade without a 3rd team involved it’s entirely possible that they can’t find a trade partner to acquire the X receiver that fits their needs.

Last edited:

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Don't suppose you've got some links?

Would fit with what the beat reporter said about Aiyuk's presence wearing Shanahan down. I wonder if at some point teams will arrange it so they can prevent guys from holding in. Holding out sucks but at least it's out of sight, out of mind.

Also this stuff about Daniels being expendable because Anderson and McCormick played some LG while Seumalo had veteran days off - not Daniels, but Seumalo - is wild. We don't need Aiyuk because Austin's had a great training camp if we want to go that route.

I would rather trade a 1st and Highsmith for CD Lamb than overpay for Aiyuk
That is substantially more than what we’re offering for Aiyuk.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah the Steelers have been so good at drafting WRs that I don't really see a need to pay 2 WRs a ton of money. Have Aiyuk as your #1 WR and just rotate between 2nd-4th rounders and UFAs as your #2-#4 WRs.

I wouldn't be mad if they kept Pickens and ran with Aiyuk, Pickens and Wilson as their top-3 WR long-term, but I also don't really think you need to pay Pickens to be that WR2.

I wouldn't give Pickens up until we absolutely had to. There is definitely going to come a time, but it's not this offseason.

Next offseason would probably be best (just before the draft), and we can recuperate picks from Aiyuk's trade. It'd also give the organization the opportunity to place all the cards in front of them regarding their options to be Aiyuk's #2 or if we have a guy in house.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not trading a 1st for Aiyuk, but I find it odd that Steelers fans are so against the idea of trading a 1st with Tomlin's track record of winning seasons.

They traded a 1st when Rudolph and Hodges were their QBs yet still finished with a winning record that year.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I'm not trading a 1st for Aiyuk, but I find it odd that Steelers fans are so against the idea of trading a 1st with Tomlin's track record of winning seasons.

They traded a 1st when Rudolph and Hodges were their QBs yet still finished with a winning record that year.

I’d trade a first without any hesitation if they had a little more clarity on their QB situation going forward. Chances are they’re drafting in the back half of the draft so I wouldn’t be worried about the pick being a great one. I would be worried about them needing to get back into the QB market next offseason though.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

But that was for Minkah and he was worth way more than a 1st. I think that deal was just timing and value instead of them trying to really make a move to be competitive.

I’d trade a first without any hesitation if they had a little more clarity on their QB situation going forward. Chances are they’re drafting in the back half of the draft so I wouldn’t be worried about the pick being a great one. I would be worried about them needing to get back into the QB market next offseason though.
And this is basically it. If they knew the QBs wouldn't shit the bed, this Aiyuk deal probably would have been done already.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

I would trade a 1st if his contract was similar to Minka but it isn’t. Minka was still in his rookie deal. The 49ers don’t want to pay him like saint brown and dj moore

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Dulac said earlier today that IF we got your hero Aiyuk, again IF, It would NOT preclude the Steelers from signing Pickens long term after the '25 season. They'd have the cap flexibility to keep both.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
That is substantially more than what we’re offering for Aiyuk.

Yeah but that's what the 49ers want or 2 2nds or a good player added. Lamb is a top 3 WR, Aiyuk is probably not even in the top 10

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Dulac said earlier today that IF we got your hero Aiyuk, again IF, It would NOT preclude the Steelers from signing Pickens long term after the '25 season. They'd have the cap flexibility to keep both.
already knew that. It’s obvious guys like Cam and Daniels will be off the books. Good chance Issac is traded next offseason larry o will be off the books in 2 seasons.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
already knew that. It’s obvious guys like Cam and Daniels will be off the books. Good chance Issac is traded next offseason larry o will be off the books in 2 seasons.
I'm just trying to bring level headed and respected Journalism back to this forum that I love so very much!

Credible journalists who do their job and don't lie to the masses for kicks! No snake oil salesmen, no out of town transplants who wanna move on to bigger and better, just hard working Journalists who relish in their role and who practice their craft with integrity, actual sources and class!

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yeah but that's what the 49ers want or 2 2nds or a good player added. Lamb is a top 3 WR, Aiyuk is probably not even in the top 10
I don’t have a problem giving up draft picks if we’re able to keep our 1st. We just have to be patient while SF finds an Aiyuk replacement. A Lamb trade is a lot more complicated, and we all know Dallas has no true intentions of trading him.

Reactions: Pengwins

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think signing Juju is an absolute no brainer for the Steelers if they can’t trade for Aiyuk. He’s obviously not a long term solution for their WR2 but he’s way better than what they have now.

Although from what Pats fans are saying, his knees are absolutely cooked and he’s just washed. So who knows.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I have to wonder about him. Pats have a young QB that could use a safety valve style slot receiver and yet they are releasing him?

The Pats also don't save any money cutting him. His cap hit is 10.2, if they cut him the dead cap is 9.6. He has to be cooked. Crazy though, he is only 28.

Reactions: Factorial

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Take with your desired level of salt but

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I’m pretty sure injuries have kind of destroyed Juju. He was pretty good with KC but I know I’ve read he’s looked absolutely cooked with the Pats.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

And people said it was wrong then……

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Take with your desired level of salt but

If that’s the case, then the deal is dead with the Steelers…don’t see the Steelers budging on their compensation…it’s the 49ers who have to decide whether they want to trade him for the best offer they have or not…

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I think signing Juju is an absolute no brainer for the Steelers if they can’t trade for Aiyuk. He’s obviously not a long term solution for their WR2 but he’s way better than what they have now.

Although from what Pats fans are saying, his knees are absolutely cooked and he’s just washed. So who knows.
I don’t know, he couldn’t beat out this group:

Osborn, Polk, Bourne, Baker, Boutte, Douglas, Reagor, Thornton

That’s the least inspiring WR room in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad