OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Oh, one other tiny thought - feels like you hear Scotty Miller's name a lot more often than Quez Watkins so mild surprise to me that Watkins is ahead in the pecking order.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
They meet in the middle.
I wouldn't count on it.

Speculation was they wanted Fields for months, and they got him for next to nothing.

Unless Khan feels he's extracting really good value the answer is NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We all know athletes will sign for a **** situation for a penny more.
My point exactly.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Not putting a whole lot of stock into preseason depth charts as I don't even think Tomlin or the coaching staff worry about that stuff - probably some social media intern honestly.

Remember this story from 2022 lol

The "cut and paste" element :laugh:

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
We all know athletes will sign for a **** situation for a penny more.
In basketball you take the money then demand a trade. In football you can be miserable look at Adams in Vegas ask Terry in DC how he felt about his Qb play last season

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Yeah I don’t think there should be much reading into the initial depth chart. Like Fautanu has played exclusively RT in camp but is listed as LT on this. It’ll change.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I am fairly sure I can predict your answer to this post but if the Steelers are willing to give Aiyuk the contract he wants, it's pretty tough to argue their rumoured trade request is ridiculous.

You probably think Aiyuk's contract ask is ridiculous too
I actually have no problem paying Aiyuk…I have a problem paying him AND paying the 9ers our currently cheap #1 WR or #1 TE or any first round pick for him…the Steelers offer, if that’s what was reported, is fine…let the 9ers get stuck with Aiyuk if he doesn’t want to go to NE or Cleveland lol

• Love
Reactions: Coastal Kev

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I actually have no problem paying Aiyuk…I have a problem paying him AND paying the 9ers our currently cheap #1 WR or #1 TE or any first round pick for him…the Steelers offer, if that’s what was reported, is fine…let the 9ers get stuck with Aiyuk if he doesn’t want to go to NE or Cleveland lol
How the hell are you a lawyer if you're gullible enough to be to believe Khan would even consider paying that price?

Come on man, you need to be better than that.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
How the hell are you a lawyer if you're gullible enough to be to believe Khan would even consider paying that price?

Come on man, you need to be better than that.
No one is paying that price.,They are willing to take a 2nd from Cleveland they would take a 2nd from us

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I know the depth chart is fluid at this point but at the same time, we've seen some big blockages on rookies fairly recently where people thought the depth chart would be fluid but soon discovered it would not.

Wellp I guessed wrong!

And it is a lot to pay for him along with the money, but if we think he's worth that money then that's the trade ask that goes with it. I don't really want to pay it either but if he was our player, I'd be screaming for Khan to go get that ask.

It feels like, judging from some journos' reports, that the compromise would be multiple day 2 picks instead.

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
No one is paying that price.,They are willing to take a 2nd from Cleveland they would take a 2nd from us
Because Cooper is actually a very good WR and we have nothing of that ilk to offer. You ADD a 2hd rounder and that's a very good offer from the browns.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Because Cooper is actually a very good WR and we have nothing of that ilk to offer. You ADD a 2hd rounder and that's a very good offer from the browns.
Except the browns know trading Cooper destroys their cap and some reports say they have pulled out

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005

More of the same, but clearly Aiyuk wants to be here. Just have to get the 9ers to blink on compensation a bit.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Article on why SF is budging from a local reporter

TL:DR -

Having Aiyuk around the place being super emotional about things seems to be wearing on Shanahan
There's memories of Samuel turning up out of shape and out of sorts after his trade request
Conversely, Samuel has taken all the uncertainty in stride this time round and is in shape and being a leader

Think they might lower their trade requests now if Aiyuk decides he doesn't like NE or Cleveland. If they're that hacked off by Aiyuk, I don't see keeping him being worth the difference between whatever their offer is and whatever the Steelers' offer is.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You guys being mislead as to this Aiyuk deal is very sad to me. Wise up sunshine!

Having Aiyuk around the place being super emotional about things seems to be wearing on Shanahan
There's memories of Samuel turning up out of shape and out of sorts after his trade request
Conversely, Samuel has taken all the uncertainty in stride this time round and is in shape and being a leader

Think they might lower their trade requests now if Aiyuk decides he doesn't like NE or Cleveland. If they're that hacked off by Aiyuk, I don't see keeping him being worth the difference between whatever their offer is and whatever the Steelers' offer is.
They want a 1st, we don't want to offer a 1st. Pretty simple.

More of the same, but clearly Aiyuk wants to be here. Just have to get the 9ers to blink on compensation a bit.

A 1st, CA3 and one of Moore or Daniels gets it done. We're not giving up a 1st however.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah I read this about Samuel as well, and it's something that will likely be impacting Aiyuk on the Steelers if they were to acquire him. Even with him being a big upgrade, I think his holdout is going to prevent Aiyuk from being truly as good as he is this year.

It's all just a question of when the 49ers bite. The Steelers are probably offering what they're willing to pay (probably something like Daniels, Austin and a 2nd) and it's just about SF either finding a team that Aiyuk will sign with or just taking what the Steelers are willing to pay.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah I read this about Samuel as well, and it's something that will likely be impacting Aiyuk on the Steelers if they were to acquire him. Even with him being a big upgrade, I think his holdout is going to prevent Aiyuk from being truly as good as he is this year.

It's all just a question of when the 49ers bite. The Steelers are probably offering what they're willing to pay (probably something like Daniels, Austin and a 2nd) and it's just about SF either finding a team that Aiyuk will sign with or just taking what the Steelers are willing to pay.
As I mentioned above and now you mentioned it yourself, CA3 + Daniels and a 2hd the Steelers will part with, but the 49ers want a 1st instead of a 2hd.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Peacock and Williamson agreed on a 1st + CA3. Makes sense but the Steelers loathe the idea of parting with a 1st.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Steelers want a depth chart at TC to be

1. and 1a Pickens, Aiyuk 3. Van Jefferson and Wilson.

That'd look great, however do we part with a 1st? Khan man can't be conned!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad