OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There are so many moving targets and conflicting reports with the Aiyuk situation that it's really tough to say what's actually going on. You had a report the Steelers were out on Aiyuk, but if Aiyuk can easily force his way to the Steelers if he wants to. It's all just dependent on what Aiyuk wants, since he really controls his destination with who he's willing to sign with.

It could be like an Iginla to Pittsburgh situation where the Steelers seem out but Aiyuk forces the 49ers hand.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Everyone is out on Aiyuk right now. The Steelers are out because they’re not offering what SF wants. The Pats and Browns are out because Aiyuk doesn’t want to go there. Someone has to blink or he’s going to stay in SF.

Probably the Steelers homer in me but a lot of this points to a leverage play by SF.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Steelers still in it

When Rapsheet says things I like he has sources, but when he says things I dislike I say he has no sources.
There are so many moving targets and conflicting reports with the Aiyuk situation that it's really tough to say what's actually going on. You had a report the Steelers were out on Aiyuk, but if Aiyuk can easily force his way to the Steelers if he wants to. It's all just dependent on what Aiyuk wants, since he really controls his destination with who he's willing to sign with.

It could be like an Iginla to Pittsburgh situation where the Steelers seem out but Aiyuk forces the 49ers hand.
The reports today about the steelers being “out” were a play by the 49ers to get more value out of the trade.

Reactions: WickedWrister

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The reports today about the steelers being “out” were a play by the 49ers to get more value out of the trade.

Yeah I 100% agree with this.

My biased read on the situation is that Aiyuk doesn't want to sign with Cleveland or NE, but the Steelers aren't meeting the 49ers ask. So it's just a game of chicken right now.

Reactions: T1K

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
You had a report the Steelers were out on Aiyuk, but if Aiyuk can easily force his way to the Steelers if he wants to.
Not really. 49ers can just hold on to him.

And that’s not Steelers dependent. Aiyuk has some leverage but the 49ers have more. You still have to pony up enough to make losing him for a season worth it- and since they are a SB contender it’s probably something decent.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

And that’s not Steelers dependent. Aiyuk has some leverage but the 49ers have more.

Then he'll sit out for a year and they won't get anything for him.

If the 49ers were willing to hold onto him with him holding out, I don't think we'd be having this much chatter about him being traded right now.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Then he'll sit out for a year and they won't get anything for him.

If the 49ers were willing to hold onto him with him holding out, I don't think we'd be having this much chatter about him being traded right now.
Yeah he won’t. Sitting out does nothing but cost him $14 mil.

even if he sits out, which again I think is preposterous. (Remember he’s holding “in”) — 49ers just tag him after the season and we do all this again

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I 100% agree with this.

My biased read on the situation is that Aiyuk doesn't want to sign with Cleveland or NE, but the Steelers aren't meeting the 49ers ask. So it's just a game of chicken right now.

This feels right.

And that’s not Steelers dependent. Aiyuk has some leverage but the 49ers have more. You still have to pony up enough to make losing him for a season worth it- and since they are a SB contender it’s probably something decent.

SF have all the leverage (bar Aiyuk refusing to play next year) but need to have the will to use it and also have a bunch of internal math on when it's not worth using the leverage that we can't see.

I never thought we'd get to this place but since we're here, I think assuming the 49ers will definitely just strongarm their way through this is a big assumption.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Lower than the insider tier but higher than the random guy on Twitter tier.

I think it’s a lot easier to find some middle ground on a trade than convince a guy to play for you.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Confirms what was posted last night, it's a WR and picks for Aiyuk on the table. The Steelers can't offer that but Aiyuk seems to want to play for the Steelers (at least more than the Browns and Patriots).

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
This feels right.

SF have all the leverage (bar Aiyuk refusing to play next year) but need to have the will to use it and also have a bunch of internal math on when it's not worth using the leverage that we can't see.

I never thought we'd get to this place but since we're here, I think assuming the 49ers will definitely just strongarm their way through this is a big assumption.
Not saying 49ers can strong arm their way through this at all, but I am saying that Aiyuk has no ability to force his way anywhere. He has the ability to leverage his way to a team from the pool of teams that will give up an acceptable return.

My point is he can’t say “I’ll only play for the Steelers” and the 49ers have to comply with the request even though the Steelers offer is a 2031 6th (being hyperbolic).

This is one where the buyer pool has the most leverage
Then the 49ers
Then Aiyuk himself.

End of the day, you can’t really hold out under current CBA and he’s risking up to $39 mil, if not more by not playing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Lower than the insider tier but higher than the random guy on Twitter tier.

I think it’s a lot easier to find some middle ground on a trade than convince a guy to play for you.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well. If Aiyuk was willing to go to either NE or Cleveland, I feel like the deal would have been completed already. It could just be that neither team is offering him the money he wants, but if he wanted to go to those teams, I feel like he'd be negotiating to make that happen.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I don’t understand why our 2nd and Cleveland 2nd are that much different
I don’t understand why Cleveland would further wreck their cap in 25 trading copper when Garrett and Chubs need paid

Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well. If Aiyuk was willing to go to either NE or Cleveland, I feel like the deal would have been completed already. It could just be that neither team is offering him the money he wants, but if he wanted to go to those teams, I feel like he'd be negotiating to make that happen.
Pats have offered to make him top 5 paid wr he doesn’t want to play there

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Wouldn't care if Cleveland pulls it off. The upgrade from Cooper to Aiyuk is meh, and then they'll have to spend $70 million or whatever of their cap on him and Watson which would be funny

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not saying 49ers can strong arm their way through this at all, but I am saying that Aiyuk has no ability to force his way anywhere. He has the ability to leverage his way to a team from the pool of teams that will give up an acceptable return.

My point is he can’t say “I’ll only play for the Steelers” and the 49ers have to comply with the request even though the Steelers offer is a 2031 6th (being hyperbolic).

This is one where the buyer pool has the most leverage
Then the 49ers
Then Aiyuk himself.

End of the day, you can’t really hold out under current CBA and he’s risking up to $39 mil, if not more by not playing.

I get that. But I'd add that if the difference is maybe a 4th between our offer and Cleveland's, that's a position where maybe Aiyuk saying "I'll sign in Pittsburgh but not Cleveland" might eventually push it over the edge.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I get that. But I'd add that if the difference is maybe a 4th between our offer and Cleveland's, that's a position where maybe Aiyuk saying "I'll sign in Pittsburgh but not Cleveland" might eventually push it over the edge.
Sure. My point was in reply to a post saying “Aiyuk can easily force his way” to a team, not that scenario.

Reactions: Peat

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Aiyuk has said us or the commanders. I’d have to imagine he’ll force his hand.

Now, I could see him being convinced to play for NE. Tradition of winning, good fan base, black head coach, etc.

But if it’s truly him, I could see the Steelers being his number 1.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
What’s weird to me is the 49ers could tell him to STFU and play ball, and then also tag him for 2 more years if they felt so inclined. I’m glad BA is so committed to playing for us though lol.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I dunno what Aiyuk values in life but if I'm him, I'm pretty wary about tying the best years of my career to a rookie QB I've never seen. Not that any of the teams talked about wanting him have attractive QB situations. All teams that want him to carry the QB as much as the QB will carry him.

Which, looking at his stats, I kinda wonder if he's truly that guy.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
What’s weird to me is the 49ers could tell him to STFU and play ball, and then also tag him for 2 more years if they felt so inclined. I’m glad BA is so committed to playing for us though lol.
Then they should pay the 30 million a year he asked for
The Steelers and Pats are willing to pay him 28 million a year’s the 49ers are at 24

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
They could but is it in their best interest? Also nothing preventing Aiyuk from being “hurt”

Reactions: T1K

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad