OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Would the 49ers even want Highsmith? Not the player but the cap hit? I don’t know enough about their cap situation, but they have a big Purdy extension coming, I saw Trent Williams wants a new deal, and if Aiyuk is gone I doubt they’d also want to get rid of Deebo.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would the 49ers even want Highsmith? Not the player but the cap hit? I don’t know enough about their cap situation, but they have a big Purdy extension coming, I saw Trent Williams wants a new deal, and if Aiyuk is gone I doubt they’d also want to get rid of Deebo.

I think it's a legit question to ask, but the NFL salary cap is fake enough that it makes me feel like it would ultimately not matter much.

They do have a ton of cap space right now ($52 million) and I figure they can roll a lot of that over into next year. They could also cut/restructure some guys at that point, Trent Williams is costing them $35 million on the cap in 2025 and 2026 and I figure that will be addressed.

Last edited:

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
It'd feel rather odd to me if the Steelers restructured Highsmith only to trade him a few months later. That doesn't feel like a regular sort of NFL thing to me.
From Highsmith’s perspective, I don’t think he’d mind joining a Super Bowl contender.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not that I think Poni has any shred of credibility, but FWIW:

Daniels probably doesn't have a ton of value but I could see him making sense as a target for SF. Their IOL right now is Banks, Brendel and Feliciano, which is not very good. Even with Williams, SF doesn't have that great of an OL according to PFF, so I can see Daniels being of some interest for them.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Well the good news is the only reason a trade hasn’t happened yet is that they haven’t been able to agree to a trade. Groundbreaking stuff :laugh:

james daniels helps the 49ers win now, aiyuk otoh...

He doesn’t help them win now if he is willing to sit out games. Which if a trade ends up happening is probably what the situation was headed towards

Reactions: cookthebooks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I have no clue who this Ricky guy is, but he's apparently a legit insider according to Twitter? A ton of 30k+ accounts are quoting this and saying it's legit.

I should probably just wait for more reliable sources :laugh:

Reactions: TooManyHumans

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

I have no clue who this Ricky guy is, but he's apparently a legit insider according to Twitter? A ton of 30k+ accounts are quoting this and saying it's legit.

Yeah he's not exactly Adam Schefter. But hey, maybe he's got this one.

And sorry, if you can get a guy like Aiyuk, you get him. The offense is bare bones and dirt cheap - spend some money on this side of the ball - he's a legit #1 WR.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

He broke the Love and Tua extensions before anyone else had them. He’s the guy I referenced in one of my earlier posts. Apparently he’s somewhat plugged into the Athletes First agency so I don’t think he’s just some rando.

Just to add to this dude’s credibility. Also broke this a couple days ago so I’m thinking this Aiyuk thing is happening at this point which would be awesome

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
From Highsmith’s perspective, I don’t think he’d mind joining a Super Bowl contender.

Oh I'm sure he'd get over it, but restructuring usually happens with players teams see as part of their future, right?

Not that I think Poni has any shred of credibility, but FWIW:

Daniels probably doesn't have a ton of value but I could see him making sense as a target for SF. Their IOL right now is Banks, Brendel and Feliciano, which is not very good. Even with Williams, SF doesn't have that great of an OL according to PFF, so I can see Daniels being of some interest for them.

I am not in love with trading Daniels as, even if he's not part of the long term future, he's a big part of the OL as stands and there's already plenty of risk to what will be a vital unit.

But it does make sense as something they may do and that SF might be interested in. And they've been giving Spencer Anderson a lot of 1st team Guard snaps.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I am not in love with trading Daniels as, even if he's not part of the long term future, he's a big part of the OL as stands and there's already plenty of risk to what will be a vital unit.

But it does make sense as something they may do and that SF might be interested in. And they've been giving Spencer Anderson a lot of 1st team Guard snaps.

I think Herbig would likely slide to RG and Frazier would be the C.

I figure that Seumalo and Herbig would be the starting guards and McCormick and Anderson would be the backups. That would leave them:

LT: Jones, Moore
LG: Seumalo, McCormick
C: Frazier
RG: Herbig, Anderson
RT: Fautanu

You need to get one more IOL backup (at least IMO), ideally a C, but that's about it.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Maybe I'm too risk averse but I still don't want to give up a future 1st for Aiyuk

It’s tough but I think it still makes sense. He’s a top ten player at a position of need. I don’t want to say Aiyuk makes them a Super Bowl contender, but if one of Fields or Wilson hits he makes them pretty damn close to one.

The shitty thing would be not having a first and needing to be in the QB market this offseason.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
They are extending Daniels so of course moving him makes sense.
Troy could play RG Mcormick or Anderson can play Rg

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also DeFabo's risers and fallers based on camp so far -

Up

Jefferson as WR2 (maybe not for long!)
Harris' pass protection
Muth's bounceback
Fields' read-option
Pickens' red zone ability
Coletto's chance of making the 53
Bishop's chance of starting

Down

Roman Wilson contributing early
Russell Wilson shutting down competition talk
Plumlee's versatility
The back half of the WR depth chart

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
It’s tough but I think it still makes sense. He’s a top ten player at a position of need. I don’t want to say Aiyuk makes them a Super Bowl contender, but if one of Fields or Wilson hits he makes them pretty damn close to one.

The shitty thing would be not having a first and needing to be in the QB market this offseason.
Yeah, I just think this team is a TJ Watt injury away from having a top 10 pick. I know, I know, scared money...

If it's Daniels and picks, I don't think it would be a 1st.

Daniels, a 2nd and 3rd for Aiyuk seems to be about the cost I think.
Yeah I'm fine with multiple day 2 picks + a roster player.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
If they send Highsmith out, they will end up adding $13 million in money for this year (Steelers currently have $16 million in cap space) and about $15 million a year for the next 3 years, assuming Aiyuk comes in at $30 million a year. With Herbig on his rookie deal for the next 3 years, I'm not overly concerned about that money swap.

Taking out Aiyuk for a second, I don't think they need to keep Highsmith at a $20 million cap hit that he'll be at for 2025-2027 when they have Herbig.
That's fair and I have a lot of hope for Herbig but I want to see more from him before I assume he can handle being a full time starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $30,594.00