OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Something that hasn't made Kozora's notes as they keep doing some funky ass shit at OLB. Leal's seen quite a few snaps there, Payton Wilson has done at least one... I dunno where we are on Golden being a full participant but if he can keep players in their right positions, that would be great.

Reactions: lastcupever75

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Something that hasn't made Kozora's notes as they keep doing some funky ass shit at OLB. Leal's seen quite a few snaps there, Payton Wilson has done at least one... I dunno where we are on Golden being a full participant but if he can keep players in their right positions, that would be great.
Yes.

Having a guy or two you can slot in a couple different places is cool (a safety moves to backer in the dime, and outside backer moves inside in certain packages, etc) but having half your defense experimenting with multiple positions is just messy.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Yes.

Having a guy or two you can slot in a couple different places is cool (a safety moves to backer in the dime, and outside backer moves inside in certain packages, etc) but having half your defense experimenting with multiple positions is just messy.
I don’t know you kinda got to prepare for injuries. Right now Willson is only going to play as a dime backer he isn’t gonna to start over Roberts and he is one of your best 11. They have Cbs playing safety in practice

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I don't know how you can make any judgments based on practice. No one knows how Wilson or Fields are going to perform in this offense as it stands right now.... no one.
I am basing it on the years Fields has spent playing in the NFL. He has been a turnover machine. I see no reason to think that would suddenly stop once he is with the Steelers.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The next time Poni breaks a trade will be the first time he breaks a trade.

Take these with a massive grain of Himalayan rock salt...

I'm not at the "I want Fields to start" level yet, but I think Fields is going to make it so Wilson has a dramatically shorter leash than a lot of people were initially thinking.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
There’s a guy on Twitter that is pretty insistent that Aiyuk is getting traded and has broken a few extensions/free agent signings this offseason. The thought is that he’s kind of plugged into someone at the Athletes First agency. Who just so happens to represent Aiyuk. Could be totally nothing but there may actually be legs to the Aiyuk thing.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I never said that I was more mature than Pickett propagandists. :laugh:

This you?

Yup- I'm glad someone came with receipts.

KP has an "NFL enough" arm to succeed in this league.
The issue is he doesn't have the mental acumen to process fast enough. So it doesn't matter if your OC is Canada or Andy Reid. If you can't process, you're limited.

KP will always be limited unless he has a late career "revive" ala Tommy Maddox

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I don’t think they would need to trade Highsmith - just picks should do it. They certainly don’t need to from a cap perspective.

If the 49ers were demanding him in a deal, then I’d say no.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don’t think they would need to trade Highsmith - just picks should do it. They certainly don’t need to from a cap perspective.

If the 49ers were demanding him in a deal, then I’d say no.
It’s about the add for me, I don’t mind the net impact of Highsmith for Aiyuk but I do mind adding a high pick on top of it.

Just feels very not-Steeler to part with a ‘25 first before they see this team play games.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like any ROLB is going to have a dramatically easier time due to Watt being on the left side. I'm not sure I'm overly concerned with trading Highsmith if they move him.

Herbig was really good in his rookie year and I'm not sure I'm overly worried about Watt and Herbig being their 2 main edge rushers. Sure, Watt getting hurt would throw a huge wrench in that, but I think Aiyuk fills a bigger need than Highsmith.

Reactions: T1K

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just question the wisdom of sending assets out to acquire a guy we then have to pay $30 million a year to.

If they send Highsmith out, they will end up adding $13 million in money for this year (Steelers currently have $16 million in cap space) and about $15 million a year for the next 3 years, assuming Aiyuk comes in at $30 million a year. With Herbig on his rookie deal for the next 3 years, I'm not overly concerned about that money swap.

Taking out Aiyuk for a second, I don't think they need to keep Highsmith at a $20 million cap hit that he'll be at for 2025-2027 when they have Herbig.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
If they send Highsmith out, they will end up adding $13 million in money for this year (Steelers currently have $16 million in cap space) and about $15 million a year for the next 3 years, assuming Aiyuk comes in at $30 million a year. With Herbig on his rookie deal for the next 3 years, I'm not overly concerned about that money swap.

Taking out Aiyuk for a second, I don't think they need to keep Highsmith at a $20 million cap hit that he'll be at for 2025-2027 when they have Herbig.
Unless of course TJ is thinking about retiring soon.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Unless of course TJ is thinking about retiring soon.

Highsmith is absolutely not going to replace Watt and there have been no indications about Watt retiring anytime soon.

Even if you want to point at what his brother did, JJ didn't retire until after his age 33 season. If TJ goes the same route, they have him for another 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $30,494.00