OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If talent is solely about athleticism, and being arguably the most athletic QB in the league prior to Anthony Richardson hasn't stopped Fields from being a pretty big failure to date, isn't it about time we stopped bringing up talent as something to be excited about with QBs?

Also accuracy is surely part of skill, and accuracy has 100% been part of his problem.

Sure it has been. He has also not been playing good QB, which will impact accuracy. That stuff is coachable. What isn't is his speed, size, and athleticism. I'd rather them try to mold a guy like Fields than a guy like Pickett. When the sum of the parts boil down, Fields is a dynamic athlete. We will see how he develops. I don't think he's the 2nd coming, but I like the clay they are working with.

Not that I agree with Tomlinism's, but one that really applies with Fields is "He needs to do the routine things routinely." Nothing more or less than that. Take what you are given and live to fight another day.

At the end of the day, Fields is a guy who is the lynchpin to another decade of good ball, or we are going into 2026-27 draft needing a QB of the future.

Last edited:

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Day 7

1722549083778.png

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Leal just isn't going to get it here. He has these traits that have been visible in brief moments in his career. He was a 5 star prospect coming into TAMU, and he under performed there. I remember mock drafts in his draft year that had him in the top 5.

I hope they use Washington. He could be a crazy tool.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sure it has been. He has also not been playing good QB, which will impact accuracy. That stuff is coachable. What isn't is his speed, size, and athleticism. I'd rather them try to mold a guy like Fields than a guy like Pickett. When the sum of the parts boil down, Fields is a dynamic athlete. We will see how he develops. I don't think he's the 2nd coming, but I like the clay they are working with.

Not that I agree with Tomlinism's, but one that really applies with Fields is "He needs to do the routine things routinely." Nothing more or less than that. Take what you are given and live to fight another day.

At the end of the day, Fields is a guy who is the lynchpin to another decade of good ball, or we are going into 2026-27 draft needing a QB of the future.

This would make sense to me if there were plentiful examples of experienced QBs making big bounds in their accuracy and processing and explosively fast QBs in the top tier.

But there aren't. Those improvements are rare to very rare and very fast QBs who are top tier just don't exist. There's a genuine negative correlation at this point.

Which brings me back to why people attach so much significance to talent when there's so little evidence of it mattering in the position. At least not in the speedster archetype.

Also all this stuff about how speed and athleticism can't be coached while processing and accuracy can be is just an obvious fallacy. Olympic sprinters don't have coaches for funsies. What we really mean is that speed and strength and body mass can only be coached so far before we reach the body's natural plateaus and get very diminishing returns, and in the case of NFL athletes, most of them are pretty close to that plateau before they even reach the league. But processing and accuracy have plateaus too, and a three year starter in the NFL is usually very close to theirs too.

So don't expect another decade of good ball.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Leal just isn't going to get it here. He has these traits that have been visible in brief moments in his career. He was a 5 star prospect coming into TAMU, and he under performed there. I remember mock drafts in his draft year that had him in the top 5.

I hope they use Washington. He could be a crazy tool.
If he can be solid depth and stout enough against the run to be reliable for the next 2 years, it’s fine with me. I don’t need an above average starter or “breakout” haha.

We’re thin along DL, so any contributions help.

Never bad when guys have a good camp.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
This would make sense to me if there were plentiful examples of experienced QBs making big bounds in their accuracy and processing and explosively fast QBs in the top tier.

But there aren't. Those improvements are rare to very rare and very fast QBs who are top tier just don't exist. There's a genuine negative correlation at this point.

Which brings me back to why people attach so much significance to talent when there's so little evidence of it mattering in the position. At least not in the speedster archetype.

Also all this stuff about how speed and athleticism can't be coached while processing and accuracy can be is just an obvious fallacy. Olympic sprinters don't have coaches for funsies. What we really mean is that speed and strength and body mass can only be coached so far before we reach the body's natural plateaus and get very diminishing returns, and in the case of NFL athletes, most of them are pretty close to that plateau before they even reach the league. But processing and accuracy have plateaus too, and a three year starter in the NFL is usually very close to theirs too.

I agree with most of this but also the successful QBs in the league are extremely talented too.

Burrow comes to mind as the only one without an absolute bazooka arm and big picture he’s a 6’3 220 lb guy that moves pretty well.

You need both nowadays.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

How many QBs are built like Fields - i.e. 6'3 230 and run a 4.3.

Richardson. Watson? I think we differ on how athletic Fields is, which is quite literally the only reason I'd want them to take a chance on him. And there are many QBs who came in and played a certain way and then their came settled down and they learned the position and became more efficient. Shit...Ben did that. He was running around like an idiot taking 60 sacks a year much like Fields was, except Ben had a Super Bowl contender and Fields had nothing until the past year.

We've lost nothing by bringing him in We lose nothing by hoping he pans out and turns into something respectable. You can piss on everyone's fire though.

Reactions: Factorial

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

Richardson. Watson? I think we differ on how athletic Fields is, which is quite literally the only reason I'd want them to take a chance on him. And there are many QBs who came in and played a certain way and then their came settled down and they learned the position and became more efficient. Shit...Ben did that. He was running around like an idiot taking 60 sacks a year much like Fields was, except Ben had a Super Bowl contender and Fields had nothing until the past year.

We've lost nothing by bringing him in We lose nothing by hoping he pans out and turns into something respectable. You can piss on everyone's fire though.
Watson isn't that great of an athlete. Josh Allen is probably the other comp and he's obviously not as fast as Fields.

I don't get the angst over adding Fields. It cost nothing of consequence. He has a far higher ceiling than most of the other backups out there. If it doesn't work out, so be it - you're no worse off than you were before.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Watson isn't that great of an athlete. Josh Allen is probably the other comp and he's obviously not as fast as Fields.

I don't get the angst over adding Fields. It cost nothing of consequence. He has a far higher ceiling than most of the other backups out there. If it doesn't work out, so be it - you're no worse off than you were before.

Yeah agreed. I don't think it takes someone who knows much about football to see that Justin Fields is a special player. He's special enough where it's totally worth a coaching staff trying to get him to play with a certain structure to minimize his mistakes and make things really easy for him.

I get people want expectations tempered, but no one has said this guy is the savior here. All anyone has said is that Fields is absurdly talented, and as a second string QB he's worth the investment. What harpooned Peat is that I took it a step further and said that maybe he can be a serviceable enough QB to win games. He didn't like that.

Reactions: MrBrightside

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Yeah agreed. I don't think it takes someone who knows much about football to see that Justin Fields is a special player. He's special enough where it's totally worth a coaching staff trying to get him to play with a certain structure to minimize his mistakes and make things really easy for him.

I get people want expectations tempered, but no one has said this guy is the savior here. All anyone has said is that Fields is absurdly talented, and as a second string QB he's worth the investment. What harpooned Peat is that I took it a step further and said that maybe he can be a serviceable enough QB to win games. He didn't like that.

Yeah I don’t think any of us truly expect Fields to work out, but for basically free I’ll take trying to fix Fields over a guy like Pickett 10 times out of 10. The top QBs in the league are littered with guys that weren’t the cleanest from a processing/accuracy standpoint coming into the league (Allen, Mahomes, Hurts, Jackson).

It likely won’t work, but in the slight chance it does you’ve got a guy that can actually go toe to toe with some of the freaks in the AFC. Worth a shot.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019

Some people just want to say "I told you so!" is my guess.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I agree with most of this but also the successful QBs in the league are extremely talented too.

Burrow comes to mind as the only one without an absolute bazooka arm and big picture he’s a 6’3 220 lb guy that moves pretty well.

You need both nowadays.

When we say extremely talented, what do we mean? Extremely talented for QBs? For football players?

Because Burrow runs a 4.8 40 while not carrying as much weight as your average 6'3" NFLer. I suspect that for most of the guys who try to be an NFL QB he's a pretty talented athlete, but compared to most of the guys who are NFLers, he isn't. Which is kind of the point with Fields. If Fields woke up tomorrow screaming he hated throwing the football and was done, coaches would beg him to become a RB/WR. He is a special athlete, no doubt. A guy like Burrow - or even Mahomes - would be kind of done.

Don't get me wrong. You do absolutely need a bunch of talent. Even guys like Brock Purdy and Kirk Cousins who are below average as athletes for an NFL QB are nevertheless pretty good athletes overall.

But after a certain point, physical talent just doesn't seem to matter any more. None of the most successful QBs in the league are just extremely talented by NFL standards. Or at least not in that way. You can make the case that being built like an outside linebacker is very helpful for an NFL QB and that fits the data. It's a big part of what makes Josh Allen. But the WR type guys? Not to date.

Hence me asking the question at the top.

Leal just isn't going to get it here.

Well first off, you can get off your high horse you giant hypocrite. Everybody here grumbles about players they don't like.

Second, Fields' athleticism... well, he didn't run a 4.3. He ran a 4.45. At 227 lbs. Small differences, but lets be accurate.

But no, boy is he athletic. In terms of speed, we're talking Vick, Griffin, Jackson... that's kind of it who's played a bunch of games. Griffin is the only one of them about the same size. Special athlete.

But all of those guys have sub 60% throwing percentages in the playoffs. Which is my point.

We don't disagree on how athletic Fields is. We differ on how much use being athletic is to a QB. If none of QBs who ran sub 4.5 40 times before Fields could do dick in the playoffs, why are we expecting Fields to be different? Because he's heavier?

We watch this team take Jackson's legs away and beat him like a toddler's drum every year because when he can't run he can't win, but think other top teams couldn't do the same to our version (when we know they do the same to Jackson in the playoffs)?

That's where we disagree. Whether his athletic talent is worth getting excited over. Whether it's the clay for the pot, or it's the glaze that goes over the clay.

Justin Fields is maybe the best speedster athlete to play a full season at QB in the NFL (i.e. excluding the Richardson freak show). It has done him no good.

Finally, third, the comparison with Ben... it doesn't hold up.

Ben played with a 66.4 completion percentage his first year in the league. He proved he could be accurate immediately. Fields has never done that. 2 of Ben's first 3 beats all of Fields for completion percentage and the third was when Ben's role radically changed. His two highest touchdown percentages beat Fields' best.

Fields has had a sack to dropback ratio of higher than 10% every NFL season. Roethlisberger was below every one of his first three seasons. In terms of sacks per start every season comes below Fields. Roethlisberger wouldn't really start bringing his sack ratio down until he was 28/30 and just no longer as fast.

The only area where Fields can feel good compared to Ben is interceptions and yeah, Ben cleaned up his act plenty there.

But cleaning up interceptions as a guy who has demonstrated his ability to be a good QB and well, learning to be one is just wildly different.

So there we go. If people want to go on about the potential that a special athlete has at QB, and how all of the QBing fundamentals can be picked up, I will continue to sporadically point out that just hasn't really worked very well to date. I'm happy with him as a back-up but a look at NFL QBs says its a miracle if there's much more there. He can maybe push himself into the Tannehill journeyman starter with occasional system boosted great years, but it'll be a miracle if he's the lynchpin of the next decade.

And if that miracle occurs, it won't be because he's really fast, it'll be because he's made unprecedented strides in accuracy and processing for a guy in his position.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
But after a certain point, physical talent just doesn't seem to matter any more. None of the most successful QBs in the league are just extremely talented by NFL standards. Or at least not in that way. You can make the case that being built like an outside linebacker is very helpful for an NFL QB and that fits the data. It's a big part of what makes Josh Allen. But the WR type guys? Not to date.
I think you’re talking athleticism, not talent.

Theres very very few guys on the planet who can throw a football like Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, Stroud can. Thats my point - top QBs are all extremely talented.

Kirk and Burrow are probably the best at compensating but still have good arms. Tua is only guy I’ve seen have success without being talented and purely relying on brain- he’s highly insulated by talent and scheme though. Purdy is close but has a lil bit more ability.

I think it’s really really hard to win consistently without a QB who has really good arm talent anymore, if not high end/special.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think you’re talking athleticism, not talent.

Theres very very few guys on the planet who can throw a football like Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, Stroud can. Thats my point - top QBs are all extremely talented.

Kirk and Burrow are probably the best at compensating but still have good arms. Tua is only guy I’ve seen have success without being talented and purely relying on brain- he’s highly insulated by talent and scheme though. Purdy is close but has a lil bit more ability.

I think it’s really really hard to win consistently without a QB who has really good arm talent anymore, if not high end/special.

Well I certainly was that, as that's where the conversation started - people going on about Fields' talent, and putting a lot of emphasis on his 40 yard time when talking about it.

If we want to talk talent as arm talent - do you mean just arm strength, or are you including accuracy as well?

In any case, yes, I agree with most of what you say about arm strength in terms of both its utility and the exceptions. I dunno that I'd say Burrow has really good arm strength. Good, but not really good. Obviously, if you include accuracy, it's a bit different.

Honestly - tangentially - Burrow shouldn't really work as an elite QB. Beyond his lack of elite arm strength and being a relatively meh athlete, he also possesses a very high pressure to sack ratio which is right now probably the most accurate predictor of busts from NCAA to NFL... unless you're Joe Burrow. Even though he's behind the Bengals' crappy line. The fact that Burrow is an elite NFL QB (when fit) despite all of this is another data point to me focusing very heavily on accuracy and processing.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Skilled, talented, even athletic are all insufficient terms to describe the valued and necessary makeup to be a successful NFL QB. Processing might not be necessarily athletic but it is certainly a skill or talent. Accuracy hits all of the above.

There is no doubt that high school and college coaching/schematics have created scenarios where being able to run fast and throw hard and far can lead to sustained success even if other talents and skills are lacking or remain underdeveloped. That hasn't happened yet in the NFL.

McDaniel is the closest thing, but the funny thing is his QB isn't what you'd call dynamic in the sense of being able run fast and throw hard and far. Same for Purdy f that's your explanation for his success (I don't hold to that but whatever).

That Fields and Burrow are integral to the discussion on the topic being had here is interesting, given they were both on the same college team and one beat the other out. And yet their NFL fortunes have been diametrically opposed to that (on the whole anyway).

I've said before that what I find interesting about Justin Fields is that his college success was not predicated on him being able to run fast. But that seems to be a significant piece of his toolkit at the NFL level. In college, he wasn't asked to have elite accuracy, but rather his success was built on arm talent and a coach who schemed to take fullest advantage.

I don't really have a prediction or expectation on him as a Steeler. I agree with those saying he was worth the experiment.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
In other news the Steelers have renegotiated Holcomb's contract.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

One of those take it with a grain of salt things but this account has been weirdly accurate with rumors this offseason and seems pretty insistent that an Aiyuk deal is happening (not necessarily to the Steelers though). And Aiyuk is now not at their training camp apparently.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium