OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
i'd say having a mid 30's QB push the sled at the begining of training camp isn't helping his cause.

we're dealing with an idiot of epic proportions here
In a way it kind of feels like they’re trying to sabotage Russ and that Fields is their guy. Personally I’m team Fields so I’m good with it, but the way they’ve held out Russ is bizarre.

Reactions: lastcupever75

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
In a way it kind of feels like they’re trying to sabotage Russ and that Fields is their guy. Personally I’m team Fields so I’m good with it, but the way they’ve held out Russ is bizarre.

I kind of feel the opposite. Maybe they do want to get a closer look at Fields and this gives them an excuse but I’m pretty confident there’s nothing he can do to supplant Wilson. I think Wilson is pretty much locked in as the starter and they don’t want to risk him.

Or the injury is a little worse than they’re letting on.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think Pickens is a #1 all day long. An elite #1. I hope now that DJ is gone they start sending more balls his way. This could be a massive year for him.

He’s got to show consistency every game and he could be a #1. His number one issue is taking plays off and not running sharp routes all the time,even when he knows he’s not getting the ball. He has the talent but he needs the mindset if he wants to be great

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I kind of feel the opposite. Maybe they do want to get a closer look at Fields and this gives them an excuse but I’m pretty confident there’s nothing he can do to supplant Wilson. I think Wilson is pretty much locked in as the starter and they don’t want to risk him.

Or the injury is a little worse than they’re letting on.
Agree to disagree, time will tell.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Fields is their guy. I thought Fields may be their guy in his draft year if there was a way to go up and get him. Bringing in Russ gives them the best possible shot at getting everything they can out of Fields.

I'm not sure if he's the answer or not. I do know in terms of overall talent, he's near the top in the league regardless of position. Sitting and watching in a friendly environment I think will do wonders for him and maybe we do get a good QB that proves he can consistently win? His running ability is a 4th dimension to an offense. If he can just be accurate and take care of the ball, I think he can win here.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I still think the week one center is Frazier, but I feel like Herbig has slightly more of a chance than I originally thought. Apparently Herbig has looked pretty solid.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Yeah IDK about this. Even a mild calf strains is like a 1-3 week injury and Russ is 35 years old. No need to push it right now if he's not 100% and able to protect himself.

I still think the week one center is Frazier, but I feel like Herbig has slightly more of a chance than I originally thought. Apparently Herbig has looked pretty solid.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
They have pretty much guaranteed RW is starting week 1 regardless of what happens during camp or pre season. I don’t even think RW takes a snap all pre season.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
A proven veteran sitting in camp over a minor knock is one of the most ordinary things in the world and I don't really see any need to look for further explanations.

It also does seem like Frazier is a long way from challenging Herbig and that's a big old bag of not good.

Finally, the fact that people are continuing to gush over Fields' talent and potential when there's three years of pretty awful accuracy and processing issues on the tape and stat sheet is a huge part of why the NFL does such an awful job of working out which QBs are going to work out and not. If you could just teach athletes to be QBs, the league would look incredibly different.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Day 6 Camp notes

1722470111201.png

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Finally, the fact that people are continuing to gush over Fields' talent and potential when there's three years of pretty awful accuracy and processing issues on the tape and stat sheet is a huge part of why the NFL does such an awful job of working out which QBs are going to work out and not. If you could just teach athletes to be QBs, the league would look incredibly different.

I don't know if anyone here is "gushing" over his talent, but rather simply acknowledging his athleticism gives this offense a different dimension (more RPO's, keepers, play action, scrambles etc...) than it did under past QB's. Just looking through camp notes and what Arthur Smith has done in the past, QB mobility is going to be a big part of what we're trying to do.

We all know what his weaknesses are.

And Russ hasn't thrown a pass in training camp so there's no one else to talk about, sorry Kyle Allen & Plumlee.

On a related note, I love seeing McCormick & Fautanu (and others) rush to defend their QB. Just don't be dumb and throw a punch and break your hand on someones helmet.

Reactions: JTG

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Came across this. Tony Dungy was an absolute moron, but the media loves him for some reason:

Dungy: "One of our chaplains gave a chapel service before the game and talked about David and Goliath and said, 'The reason David was successful is he wasn't afraid. All the other Israelites were afraid of Goliath.' So I started thinking, am I putting fear into our guys' hearts? Am I playing this wrong? We can't be afraid of Devin Hester.

Devin Hester was as surprised as anyone that the Colts were kicking to him to open Super Bowl XLI. As the rain fell, Hester took the kick back and made history. Donald Miralle/Getty Images
So, at the last minute, I changed my mind and said if we lose the toss, we're going to kick off. We're going to kick it to him, and I want you to go down and pound him. And when we knock their champion down, that's going to send a message just like David.

"I talked about it with Russ Purnell, our special teams coach, and of course he said we can cover, we can do this. We'll get him in the Super Bowl. Everybody wants to have their moment. No one wants to go out there and just say, 'Hey, we weren't part of this, or we didn't contribute.' So it was mutual, but at the end of the day, it was my decision."

Reid: "Two or three days before the game I rallied the guys to convince Coach Dungy. I said, 'We can handle him. We'll be fine.' You could tell [Dungy] felt uneasy about doing it, but he's like: 'OK, I trust you guys.'"

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Everything you read about the Steelers, P WIlson is mentioned.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Seeing reports (and this may be old be since I’m out of market and may miss some updates) that Holcomb is not close to being healthy and also that Golden has been signed. I know we added Queen and P Wilson but I like(d) Holcomb - that’s too bad.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Without knowing much more about Dungy than is on his wiki page and I've read in a couple of media articles, the kicking to Hester thing mainly seems proof that even smart people will inevitably do really stupid things.

Seeing reports (and this may be old be since I’m out of market and may miss some updates) that Holcomb is not close to being healthy and also that Golden has been signed. I know we added Queen and P Wilson but I like(d) Holcomb - that’s too bad.

I think Holcomb's fitness is just Dulac so far, who is remarkably wonky when not being fed propaganda, but it wouldn't surprise me. That was a brutal injury and I think most of us expected he wouldn't be ready to go this season. I just hope it doesn't screw him long term.

I don't know if anyone here is "gushing" over his talent, but rather simply acknowledging his athleticism gives this offense a different dimension (more RPO's, keepers, play action, scrambles etc...) than it did under past QB's. Just looking through camp notes and what Arthur Smith has done in the past, QB mobility is going to be a big part of what we're trying to do.

We all know what his weaknesses are.

And Russ hasn't thrown a pass in training camp so there's no one else to talk about, sorry Kyle Allen & Plumlee.

It was JTG's post about Fields being near the top of the league talent wise that sparked it, but it's mainly about the parts of the media/small group of fans elsewhere going on about how great an opportunity this is and how scary mobile QBs are, like Lamar Jackson isn't the dampest of playoff squibs.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Without knowing much more about Dungy than is on his wiki page and I've read in a couple of media articles, the kicking to Hester thing mainly seems proof that even smart people will inevitably do really stupid things.

I think Holcomb's fitness is just Dulac so far, who is remarkably wonky when not being fed propaganda, but it wouldn't surprise me. That was a brutal injury and I think most of us expected he wouldn't be ready to go this season. I just hope it doesn't screw him long term.

It was JTG's post about Fields being near the top of the league talent wise that sparked it, but it's mainly about the parts of the media/small group of fans elsewhere going on about how great an opportunity this is and how scary mobile QBs are, like Lamar Jackson isn't the dampest of playoff squibs.
He's a 6'3 225 pound QB that can run a 4.3. Many players have said he's one of the most athletic guys in the league.

Fields past and future failures won't be because of skill or physical talent. It will be decision making.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He's a 6'3 225 pound QB that can run a 4.3. Many players have said he's one of the most athletic guys in the league.

Fields past and future failures won't be because of skill or physical talent. It will be decision making.

If talent is solely about athleticism, and being arguably the most athletic QB in the league prior to Anthony Richardson hasn't stopped Fields from being a pretty big failure to date, isn't it about time we stopped bringing up talent as something to be excited about with QBs?

Also accuracy is surely part of skill, and accuracy has 100% been part of his problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad