OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
On the Aiyuk talk:

Think this gives a good baseline for what Aiyuk would cost on an extension. I know the salary cap is fake anyway, but unless Fields or Wilson is taking a cheap deal to be their QB next year, I'm not sure how easily they can afford that kind of money for a WR.

It's kinda wild that AB was making $17 million a year at his peak in 2019 while WRs today are making literally double that just 5 years later.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
On the Aiyuk talk:

Think this gives a good baseline for what Aiyuk would cost on an extension. I know the salary cap is fake anyway, but unless Fields or Wilson is taking a cheap deal to be their QB next year, I'm not sure how easily they can afford that kind of money for a WR.

It's kinda wild that AB was making $17 million a year at his peak in 2019 while WRs today are making literally double that just 5 years later.

Mayfield's APY is 33m and his first year cap hit is 6.9m. None of Love/Tua/Lawrence count as more than 21m this coming year. Fitting in a normally priced QB and a high end WR with this sort of cap juggling is doable in year one at least. Beyond that, you hope for the rising cap to do you a solid in combination with losing some guys on defence.

edit: Also, yes, top WR salaries are really wild at this point.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I may have jumped the gun, sounds like Wilson is participating in some fashion today. Wasn’t in the first round of 7 shots so maybe just limiting his reps

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He started more than 30 games at a very good P5 program and will be 24 in October. He may be a lot of things but "raw" isn't one of them. If BigDaddyTomlin is looking for a justification to keep playing his boy Dan Moore, whatever - but this is a reach.
Yeah, Fautanu is ready to roll like...yesterday. Jones was raw, but even then I believe his immaturity is something he needs to work out in game. He's noticeably more athletic than just about every other lineman, so it really is just him getting adjusted to the speed of the game and the moves he sees.

I believe that at minimum we have two good tackles, with potential to be the face of this team going forward.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Pickens punks the shit out of Porter. Porter has great coverage, and there is truly nothing he can do.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Pretty much a nothing update but hopefully it’s a short term thing. They aren’t built to handle WR injuries

Reactions: Andy99 and T1K

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Any word on Roman Wilson’s injury yet? I’ve heard rumors hip/back or foot, but it seems to be speculation to me.

Edit: nvm just saw xlm’s post above

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Yea and they got into it after. I love those two going against each other. Makes them both better.

Not that my dad imparted much wisdom on me, but I remember when I was 7 or 8 years old and he said: you'll notice that many teams who have a strong position group typically have just as strong as a position group on the opposite side bc they practice against each other every day.

So teams with a good OL will likely have a good DL too. Teams with strong WR play have good CB's, etc.

That doesn't always apply but I generally carry that rule of thumb with me

Reactions: JTG

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Couple more highlights from todays practice. Nice sidearm throw and protection by Broderick on Watt

Looking forward to more RPO's and designed runs to take advantage of Fields athleticism.

Random celebrity sighting of the day: Jason Kidd

1722364344845.png

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I generally try not to react too much to training stuff but since this is a guy I'm excited about but think some people are too excited about -

I'm not surprised that Payton Wilson lived up to his pre-draft scouting reports of not being the best at working through traffic on the run in backs vs backers. I mean it's such a surprise a short-armed lanky guy isn't made for this scenario, right?

I'm convinced the sky is the limit with this kid as a mack ILB, but as a buck?

Also the Roman Wilson stuff is shithouse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad