OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Disagree. He didn't have trouble reading defenses in college. His issue is the same as Ben's when he was a young QB. He holds on to the ball and tries to be a hero. He needs to be a more effective QB and not just an athlete.
Yes he did there’s a long list of failed Ohio state Qbs in the nfl because they are a nfl wr factory so if read 1 isn’t open the QBs take off and count on their athletic ability

Nice snag by Roman Wilson over Beanie Bishop

Slot fade is called to much in ncaa25

Reactions: WickedWrister

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think after three years as an NFL starter, it's fair to say the college tape no longer matters. The NFL is too different and there's too much proof and it was too long ago for it to matter.

Reactions: Andy99

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Day 3 camp recap

1722124778225.png

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It makes me laugh somewhat that the undrafted Bishop might just have the easiest path to playing time of all the rookies - and a bit nervous because, for all the great traits, he didn't go undrafted for no good reason. That said if he works out, that'd be amazing.

Also intrigued that Anderson got the first team reps today over McCormick.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It makes me laugh somewhat that the undrafted Bishop might just have the easiest path to playing time of all the rookies - and a bit nervous because, for all the great traits, he didn't go undrafted for no good reason. That said if he works out, that'd be amazing.

Also intrigued that Anderson got the first team reps today over McCormick.

I'm also intrigued by that. They like Anderson a lot, it seems. Another recent draft hit in the 7th round would seriously help the cause.

Bishop I always thought was a decent player...he's just small. His stats last season could be construed as him just getting picked on a bunch and just getting stats because of volume (totally possible), but maybe he did turn a corner late and did some development in his 6th season?

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I'm also intrigued by that. They like Anderson a lot, it seems. Another recent draft hit in the 7th round would seriously help the cause.

Bishop I always thought was a decent player...he's just small. His stats last season could be construed as him just getting picked on a bunch and just getting stats because of volume (totally possible), but maybe he did turn a corner late and did some development in his 6th season?
Bishop didn’t get picked on last year. He was the best player on WVU’s defense and teams certainly didn’t go after him. He has great ball skills but as you note is undersized. You never know but I’ll be pretty surprised if he’s not the slot guy, at least while Sutton is out.

Reactions: Pens1566

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
To add to that thing about Wilson - apparently he ripped the ball out of Muth's hands. I'd add that Donte Jackson has got the first pick of the camp.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Wilson sounds like a lightning rod. I read that Queen has been flying around also.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Bishop didn’t get picked on last year. He was the best player on WVU’s defense and teams certainly didn’t go after him. He has great ball skills but as you note is undersized. You never know but I’ll be pretty surprised if he’s not the slot guy, at least while Sutton is out.

Can confirm. No one "picked on" Bishop last season. He was just always making plays.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Muth, Leal, Kyron Johnson, Donte Jackson, and Payton Wilson/Queen are Kozora's Steelers of training camp so far.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Most teams dress only 7 o line men on game day so position flexibility is imperative

"Position flexibility" can be done with 2nd team reps.
You can't be flip flopping people around when you've already got the potential that 2 to 3/5ths of the line are new faces.

This nonsense of playing Olinemen out of their natural positions has been happening across multiple Line coaches. So either Tomlin doesn't know anything about line play or he thinks he does.

2 consecutive 1st round picks (one of which you used multiple picks because you traded up) - anyway 2 first round picks - and both are playing out of position- meanwhile you still have the shitty LT still playing in that position- that is the problem to start with

Reactions: Peat

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
"Position flexibility" can be done with 2nd team reps.
You can't be flip flopping people around when you've already got the potential that 2 to 3/5ths of the line are new faces.

This nonsense of playing Olinemen out of their natural positions has been happening across multiple Line coaches. So either Tomlin doesn't know anything about line play or he thinks he does.

2 consecutive 1st round picks (one of which you used multiple picks because you traded up) - anyway 2 first round picks - and both are playing out of position- meanwhile you still have the shitty LT still playing in that position- that is the problem to start with
Both the LT were considered raw when drafted. Some teams thought Troy was a G not a tackle. Jones struggled last season with pass protection. They are going against Watt every day in practice Tomlin after the season said Jones might stick at RT.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Both the LT were considered raw when drafted. Some teams thought Troy was a G not a tackle. Jones struggled last season with pass protection. They are going against Watt every day in practice Tomlin after the season said Jones might stick at RT.
Fautanu said when he was drafted, they were planning on putting him at RT. So that would lend one to believe that Jones is going to slide.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
In what world was Fautanu considered raw when drafted?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
There was questions on his hand placement should he be kicked into g he is still developing as a pass blocker

Fautanu said when he was drafted, they were planning on putting him at RT. So that would lend one to believe that Jones is going to slide.
He also said his mentality was do whatever it takes to get on the field and his versatility would be appreciated here

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
There was questions on his hand placement should he be kicked into g he is still developing as a pass blocker

He also said his mentality was do whatever it takes to get on the field and his versatility would be appreciated here

Right. But he's going to play RT here.

Yeah, Fautanu is actually a better line prospect coming out of college than Jones. Jones has more to work with though.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's good inasmuchas those are some of the guys who were already on the "it would go a long way toward the team having a successful season if these guys were good" list.

Yup. News that Roman Wilson is maybe starting to feel it too is exactly what we need to hear. Apparently Fautanu had a good set against Watt when he stepped in to the first team the other day too.

Not that it means too much, but good news is better than bad.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Right. But he's going to play RT here.

Yeah, Fautanu is actually a better line prospect coming out of college than Jones. Jones has more to work with though.
He started more than 30 games at a very good P5 program and will be 24 in October. He may be a lot of things but "raw" isn't one of them. If BigDaddyTomlin is looking for a justification to keep playing his boy Dan Moore, whatever - but this is a reach.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also this is the first time I've heard Fautanu be regarded as raw for a rookie. First time. The stuff about him maybe kicking into G because of his size, that's real, but rawness, new one to me.

And honestly all of this sounds like reasons to keep guys in their primary positions, not throw them all over the place. So too is the Steelers' recent history of developing OL.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

And here I thought we made some headway last season when you lost the bet to me and conceded that Tomlin isn't the brightest dude in the room.

You're now back to defending everything Tomlin does.

How about another avatar bet?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Also this is the first time I've heard Fautanu be regarded as raw for a rookie. First time. The stuff about him maybe kicking into G because of his size, that's real, but rawness, new one to me.

And honestly all of this sounds like reasons to keep guys in their primary positions, not throw them all over the place. So too is the Steelers' recent history of developing OL.
as much as i would love to see sully move players around in preseason, when you're hoping that the new guy's gel, it seems that that should be no. one on the list

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad