OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’m sure this will change but hopefully they don’t spend too much time with this OL setup. A line this young and new needs as many reps as possible together to gel.

Like we all know Frazier should be starting week one so why waste any time with Herbig there.

Edited to reflect reality. Nothing can surprise me about Tomlin's prediliction for slow playing rookies by now. If the man can think Levi Wallace over JPJ is a good idea, then pretty much anything is possible.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Edited to reflect reality. Nothing can surprise me about Tomlin's prediliction for slow playing rookies by now. If the man can think Levi Wallace over JPJ is a good idea, then pretty much anything is possible.

I do think the rookie wall is a real thing. They go from their college offseason program to the college season to combine training to pro days to rookie camp to training camp to a 17 game season. So I don’t necessarily think managing a rookie’s snaps early to have them in better shape later is a bad thing if you have someone else competent at the position.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I do think the rookie wall is a real thing. They go from their college offseason program to the college season to combine training to pro days to rookie camp to training camp to a 17 game season. So I don’t necessarily think managing a rookie’s snaps early to have them in better shape later is a bad thing if you have someone else competent at the position.

That's fair and I do buy that but at the same time, Wallace and Peterson weren't that competent. If that's the bar, giving Herbig a run feels possible.

It also feels like other teams manage to be more aggressive with their rookies without problems.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd only mind them not starting rookies immediately would be a massive detriment to the team. Playing Moore over Fautanu is arguably that, but I'm pretty fine with seeing Herbig at C before Frazier starts there. I think we know Moore stinks at LT but I'm not sure Herbig stinks at C.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
There is no reason to overthink the offensive line. We would rather have a 2nd year and two rookies playing and learning in game than sitting. I can absolutely guarantee that much. The 3 guys with the inexperience could very well be top 10 players at their positions when the season is over with. Let them play. If Moore sees the field I'm going to snap.

What is going to stir this drink is the same thing that happened in the early 90's - defense is fast, aggressive, and is able to really get after the QB (Blitzburgh), and the offense can run over teams and control possession (Bettis/Cowher offense).

The step forward for Benton really makes all of this work. If he can come in and be truly dominant, Queen and Wilson add insane speed to the MLB position...this could be really cool to watch.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Herbig doesn't stink at C, what was Mason Cole doing out there at the end of last season?

Also, how is Smith going to run outside zone concepts with maybe the slowest IOL in the league at C?

And on the whole Moore/Fautanu thing, I'm not wild about bouncing Jones around the OL again as much as anything. Slow playing a rookie to help him at the cost of not letting your raw 2nd year guy have a simple development path is absolute swings and roundabouts.

Maybe I'll feel difference once they're playing but right now, much as I am glad they decided to invest the OL, I'd be a lot happier if they'd done some of it in FA as well so we don't have this situation.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

Pretty comprehensive breakdown of the day but here's his summary:

1721936796844.png

Reactions: Peat

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
KP could have Andy Reid, Don Coryell and Norv Turner as his OC and he'd still be mediocre.

If we run a zone running scheme, Harris isn't gonna have a great season but Warren will.
Maybe. But don't come back here crying when KP lights the Defense up this year for 4TD's and 400 yards. It's destined to happen.... let's call it an early Christmas present for all the "tomlin is a fraud" fanbase.

Reactions: Night Shift

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Azzani is either going to end up being amazing for Pickens or cause Pickens to force his way out next summer. I like seeing this from the WR coach though.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
If Herbig doesn't stink at C, what was Mason Cole doing out there at the end of last season?

Also, how is Smith going to run outside zone concepts with maybe the slowest IOL in the league at C?

And on the whole Moore/Fautanu thing, I'm not wild about bouncing Jones around the OL again as much as anything. Slow playing a rookie to help him at the cost of not letting your raw 2nd year guy have a simple development path is absolute swings and roundabouts.

Maybe I'll feel difference once they're playing but right now, much as I am glad they decided to invest the OL, I'd be a lot happier if they'd done some of it in FA as well so we don't have this situation.

The Jones thing I don’t love either. I don’t care whether it’s RT or LT. Just pick a spot and let him play there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Azzani is either going to end up being amazing for Pickens or cause Pickens to force his way out next summer. I like seeing this from the WR coach though.

If Pickens can't handle tough coaching to the point where he forces his way out, I consider that a positive as well.

Either he shapes up and becomes more professional or he f***s off and someone else can deal with the headache.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I'm okay with a kill or cure approach to Pickens' maturity issues.

The Jones thing I don’t love either. I don’t care whether it’s RT or LT. Just pick a spot and let him play there.

Ayup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad