OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Tons of good college QBs right now. Luckily our QB situation is coming to a head at a good time for QB prospects. We are coming into the next generational wave I think.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just coming here to post this. Realllllly like how he plays the game. Dude looks to have "it." He's looking dudes off, pump faking...he's really good.

If he continues to progress well, I really want the Steelers to look at drafting him in the 2026 draft, presumably after he declares for the draft after his junior year. Don't let the Pickett mistake scare you off, this guy looks legit.

His calmness in the pocket is staggering to see out of a freshman.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
If he continues to progress well, I really want the Steelers to look at drafting him in the 2026 draft, presumably after he declares for the draft after his junior year. Don't let the Pickett mistake scare you off, this guy looks legit.

His calmness in the pocket is staggering to see out of a freshman.
He's played 9 collegiate quarters, about 1/2 of which were against a 1-11 MAC team that lost to St. Francis. Let's all take a breath.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He's played 9 collegiate quarters, about 1/2 of which were against a 1-11 MAC team that lost to St. Francis. Let's all take a breath.

I mean yeah obviously, it's so far in the future that it's impossible to predict.

I know that if he ends up legit though, there will be a major push against drafting him because of the Pickett mistake. It's going to be an overcorrection from the "take Pickett because they missed on Dan Marino last time they passed up a Pitt QB", it will be "don't take Holstein because Pickett was a bust when they took a Pitt QB last time".

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I mean yeah obviously, it's so far in the future that it's impossible to predict.

I know that if he ends up legit though, there will be a major push against drafting him because of the Pickett mistake. It's going to be an overcorrection from the "take Pickett because they missed on Dan Marino last time they passed up a Pitt QB", it will be "don't take Holstein because Pickett was a bust when they took a pitt QB last time".
I just hope his draftworthiness is evaluated without any regard one way or the other to where he went to college.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Man some of you are absolutely miserable :laugh:

The Steelers had a very logical gameplan of not passing towards Bates and Simmons, who are two of the best safeties in the sport. It ended up working extremely well. Only people with an anti-Fields agenda are going to push the idea that the strategy was based on Fields. Breaking news: teams can make offensive strategies and gameplans to limit the other team's best players. Crazy thought.

This doesn't even say anything about how good Fields is, I think he's a low end starter/high end backup. But some of you really need to go touch grass when it comes to him. And I think we all know exactly who I'm referring to with that.

Based on the past few years, it's super obvious that the Steelers have a major focus of not turning the ball over with their QBs.
Avoiding Simmons and Bates in the middle of the field seems to be much more about that than thinking Fields is trash or something like that. I figure they'd treat Wilson the same exact way if he was starting that game.
I have zero agenda. But I do disagree with your statements. And I do think Fields will be back next year due to lack of a better option and as someone else mentioned, Tomlin has been dying for an option like him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I am a big fan of Reid and Holstein.

"He was flagged three times for illegal formation before being benched." :laugh:

Moore is the next Chuks. Chuks had a good game here and there, but was well below the bar. I am very nervous about their ability to get the best out of Fautana and Jones, especially with the recent f***ing around with where they are playing and both being banged up.

Take into consideration the total failures Dotson (after being extraordinarily successful on his natural side, mind you) and Green.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The fact that Holstein is doing this in only his 3rd start in college is insane. If they get a couple of good recruiting classes, they may make some legit noise as a program in the next few years with Holstein at QB.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Unreal poise for the guy. It's unfortunate he will be poached with a NIL deal, but this team could do some real damage.

Yeah I hope Pitt can put together some type of offer for him, but one of their good players transferring will never surprise me at this point.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I hope Pitt can put together some type of offer for him, but one of their good players transferring will never surprise me at this point.

Honestly even more than that, I think Holstein can go to a school with much better receiving talent and a more pass heavy game than Pitt. At the same time, how often do players transfer twice in college? I figure it's not super often. And if Holstein keeps being as good as he has been so far, he may leave for the NFL draft after his junior year too.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
If I were a Pitt fan I'd enjoy the hell out of the last two weeks and the wins, but this team isn't that good - two miracle rallies against teams in the bottom of half of a meh Big 12 doesn't really scream contender. That said, I guess, since no one in the ACC is any good I guess I'll shut up - but Pitt going 6-6 still seems more likely than winning the conference.

Honestly even more than that, I think Holstein can go to a school with much better receiving talent and a more pass heavy game than Pitt. At the same time, how often do players transfer twice in college? I figure it's not super often. And if Holstein keeps being as good as he has been so far, he may leave for the NFL draft after his junior year too.
Eh, in this era it happens a lot. Dillon Gabriel, JT Daniels, Cam Ward, Jurkovec, Slovis - just off the cuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad