OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Oh no! They are 3 and 1. Panic!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Is it just me or do there seem to be more severe injuries in the NFL this year than in recent years?

Maybe? Last year felt pretty severe. QBs falling everywhere, few real bad injuries in Steelers games, my fantasy team getting beat up, and other such things. I'm not sure this year is worse.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Just want to say that no metter what happens tonight, I am 100% behind the switch from Fields to Wilson.

For years we have wanted Coach T to stop doing maximum effort just to NHaLS. And now he sees that while Fields has been ok, it’s not good enough especially if they make the playoffs.

While I like Fields, I think he has shown he is not a franchise guy. He is fun to watch, way more entertaining than KP. He is just too slow in the passing game and jumpy in other parts which leads to fumbles.

Thus they need to see what they have in Wilson. If they suck then so be it, it will place them in a better spot to maybe draft the next QB.

Reactions: OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I agree. I think Fields is dynamic and has done a seriously good job. He’s won us some games, but we have Wilson, who is a future HoF’er and need to see what he can do.

I also fully expect Fields to get snaps and run some options and whatnot.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just want to say that no metter what happens tonight, I am 100% behind the switch from Fields to Wilson.

For years we have wanted Coach T to stop doing maximum effort just to NHaLS. And now he sees that while Fields has been ok, it’s not good enough especially if they make the playoffs.

While I like Fields, I think he has shown he is not a franchise guy. He is fun to watch, way more entertaining than KP. He is just too slow in the passing game and jumpy in other parts which leads to fumbles.

Thus they need to see what they have in Wilson. If they suck then so be it, it will place them in a better spot to maybe draft the next QB.

Going with an older Wilson with no room to grow over a younger Fields with potential room to grow is the definition of making an effort to maintain a "not had a losing season" streak.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Going with an older Wilson with no room to grow over a younger Fields with potential room to grow is the definition of making an effort to maintain a "not had a losing season" streak.

I don’t see that at all. Sticking with Fields and trying to win by playing field goal ball is the definition of NHaLS.

He is literally throwing caution to the wind.

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don’t see that at all. Sticking with Fields and trying to win by playing field goal ball is the definition of NHaLS.

He is literally throwing caution to the wind.

There is zero chance that putting a 36 year old Russell Wilson in a game is "throwing caution to the wind". He has no upside beyond mediocre QBing and that's exactly why Tomlin is going with him.

You stick with Wilson to go 9-8 or 10-7 in a year. Fields may give you worse but has the potential to develop into a 11+ win caliber QB.

Reactions: MrBrightside

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm with this being a ceiling play too. He thinks he can win it all and that Wilson can help. The easy thing to do would be to stick with tried and tested - and loved in the building - but he's going with the guy who he thinks has the ceiling.

He might be mad as a hatter to think all this but that's what I see.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
There is zero chance that putting a 36 year old Russell Wilson in a game is "throwing caution to the wind". He has no upside beyond mediocre QBing and that's exactly why Tomlin is going with him.

You stick with Wilson to go 9-8 or 10-7 in a year. Fields may give you worse but has the potential to develop into a 11+ win caliber QB.
Tomlin is a player’s coach and he’s got some bond with Russ that is driving this decision. The idea that the Russell Wilson that’s played the last 3 years is a high ceiling play is tangibly laughable.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I'm with this being a ceiling play too. He thinks he can win it all and that Wilson can help. The easy thing to do would be to stick with tried and tested - and loved in the building - but he's going with the guy who he thinks has the ceiling.

He might be mad as a hatter to think all this but that's what I see.

Yeah it’s a definitely a ceiling play in Tomlin’s mind. He’s hoping Wilson can be what he was instead of what he has been the last 2.5 years. And he’s either gonna look really smart or it’s going to be another example of Tomlin being clueless when it comes to the offensive side of the ball.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tomlin is a player’s coach and he’s got some bond with Russ that is driving this decision. The idea that the Russell Wilson that’s played the last 3 years is a high ceiling play is tangibly laughable.

Yeah like I'm fine with them going with Wilson because I don't think it will tangibly matter, but this idea that going with Wilson is "Tomlin throwing caution to the wind" is downright hilarious.

Wilson gives them known mediocre QB play, that's it. There is no upside with him beyond that. That's not being aggressive and taking risks, that's absolutely the definition of being safe.

Reactions: MrBrightside

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I’m way more worried about just how low of a floor we might see with Wilson given the situation he is walking/hobbling into. I am cheering for him to throw lasers for multiple TDs but am (sadly) expecting 5-7 sacks and multiple picks as a result.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
1729468449730.png

Reactions: End of Line

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah like I'm fine with them going with Wilson because I don't think it will tangibly matter, but this idea that going with Wilson is "Tomlin throwing caution to the wind" is downright hilarious.

Wilson gives them known mediocre QB play, that's it. There is no upside with him beyond that. That's not being aggressive and taking risks, that's absolutely the definition of being safe.

Empo, the point of this idea is this is what we believe that Tomlin believes. Not what we believe, but what we think Tomlin believes.

I also think there's some considerable risks here in that

a) He hasn't played in quite a long time and could lose a couple of games being rusty, and a couple of lost games could screw up the season

b) A decent amount of his colleagues think he's making a mistake and if he's wrong, that could have serious ramifications next time he needs to persuade them of something

Like this is the move that could be generating articles about the start of the end for Tomlin. That's dramatic, yeah, but it's possible.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Ad

Ad

Ad