OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Oh no! They are 3 and 1. Panic!

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The reason Tomlin is starting Wilson is because he promised him he would start in order to get him to sign. Russ probably threatened to go nuclear if he didn't start. You don't want to get on the bad side of Mr. Unllliiiiimmmmmmiiiiiitttttteeeeed.

Reactions: End of Line

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
It’s gonna be a really interesting week if Russ doesn’t play well. I don’t agree with the decision at all but I do get the logic behind it.

This all depends on what kind of leash Wilson has.
I don't agree with it either but it's bold and has a serious chance of backfiring and making Tomlin look terrible, so I kind of respect it in a way lol.

olAsYBn.gif

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't agree with it either but it's bold and has a serious chance of backfiring and making Tomlin look terrible, so I kind of respect it in a way lol.

View attachment 919075

For reals. The one thing I've been angriest about with Tomlin is the lack of ambition and unwillingness to take chances. Well, I can't say he's not trying as he sees best. I'm a bit perplexed this is what he sees but he is at least trying.

And by happy coincidence, here's him on the subject (according to Jay Glazer)

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Imagine if Russ goes out and sucks and what finally takes down Tomlin is benching Justin Fields.

It would be like Capone being taken down by his tax returns.
I don’t think Wilson is going to throw more than 30 passes tonight just half to see what he does with them

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The weird thing is that the Jets aren’t a good run defense so you take out your most effective runner in Fields…and Jets pass defense is like near the top…so was this the right week to sub in Wilson?

Reactions: Empoleon8771

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The weird thing is that the Jets aren’t a good run defense so you take out your most effective runner in Fields…and Jets pass defense is like near the top…so was this the right week to sub in Wilson?

I’m guessing they want to be able to make a final decision on the starter by the bye week so it’s now or never to get Wilson in. Schefter is saying he’ll get this game and the Giants game no matter how he plays tonight.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This rumor seems to be gaining some more traction. Not the type of WR I'd be targeting personally.

Eh I like the idea of targeting Williams. He was a guy that was absolutely on my radar in the off-season and I don't want to write him off based on a bad fit with the jets.

Not a good look for Tomlin and it will look even worse if Wilson has a bad game today.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m guessing they want to be able to make a final decision on the starter by the bye week so it’s now or never to get Wilson in. Schefter is saying he’ll get this game and the Giants game no matter how he plays tonight.
Yeah it makes sense, also because I don’t think the Steelers have a good shot to win this game regardless of which mediocre QB plays…talent disparity lol

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

My guess is Tomlin doesn't care about right time or he'd have stuck Wilson in last week. He's also pretty much out of time if he wants to give Wilson a decent look after being hyper-cautious about the injury.

But I also think people are overegging what Fields means for the run game. Sure he's been the most effective runner but he still hasn't made it work overall. What is needed to make it work lies outside the runners - better OL, better scheme, more dangerous pass-run balance - because they'll succeed if they get space and won't if they don't.

And either those things work vs the Jets, at which point the run game could be lethal through Harris/Warren without ever needing Fields just like they killed teams last year without Fields, or they don't, and Fields wouldn't have saved it anyway.

The one thing I'd worry about without Fields is scoring without his running, but then again, if they can't score without relying on a really fast QB running option plays, they deserve to look foolish.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Eh I like the idea of targeting Williams. He was a guy that was absolutely on my radar in the off-season and I don't want to write him off based on a bad fit with the jets.
I mean he's certainly an upgrade over VJ/CA3/Wilson and he has a reputation as a willing and able blocker, I just think we need a better separator and not another contested catch guy.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean he's certainly an upgrade over VJ/CA3/Wilson and he has a reputation as a willing and able blocker, I just think we need a better separator and not another contested catch guy.

Well that at least has my attention. I agree that the team needs someone who can separate and not just run deep, but by Odin's nutsack they need someone who can block and actually be a receiving threat too.

Also in random other shit from around the NFL I approve of

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm so conflicted on Watson blowing up his achilles there. On one hand, he's a piece of shit that deserves it. On the other hand, the Browns deserve to have him continue playing for him for how they screwed over Mayfield and traded for a sexual predator.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I'm so conflicted on Watson blowing up his achilles there. On one hand, he's a piece of shit that deserves it. On the other hand, the Browns deserve to have him continue playing for him for how they screwed over Mayfield and traded for a sexual predator.

On that note, now that Watson is headed for IR, would that make it harder for the Browns to void his guarantees and get out from that contract? There was talk that could happen with the new allegations coming out.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
On that note, now that Watson is headed for IR, would that make it harder for the Browns to void his guarantees and get out from that contract? There was talk that could happen with the new allegations coming out.
They'll get some cap relief because they have insurance on his contract.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
It’s been so obvious that Watson didn’t give a shit about football after he got his money. I wish he was totally healthy and had to keep getting absolutely shit on by everyone because of how bad he was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad