OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Oh no! They are 3 and 1. Panic!

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
It's so cliche but winning solves everything. If Russ plays well and we win, everyone will rally around him and sing Kumbaya. If he doesn't... well, we'll see shit like last year.

Najee :laugh:

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In the latest segment of "Arthur, why are you doing this"

I know I shouldn't be leaning into the drama of this but it's more enjoyable than the football I'm likely to see Sunday

edit: Oh and Roman Wilson was limited with a hamstring. Good meeting you, kid.

At this point, I'd be shocked if Fields wasn't their QB1 next year with how much Smith seems to love him. And I get why, the dude is pretty much tailor made for the kind of system Smith wants to run. Going into the off-season, I think Smith is basically going to be banging on the table for him to come back as the QB1 and emphasize how he's the QB to make his system work.

I wouldn't be shocked for Wilson to end up the majority starter this year, but unless he's cheap to retain, I'm pretty sure that they'll give the keys to Fields next year. And at that point, if he's cheap to retain that likely means he wasn't that good for the Steelers.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
At this point, I'd be shocked if Fields wasn't their QB1 next year with how much Smith seems to love him. And I get why, the dude is pretty much tailor made for the kind of system Smith wants to run. Going into the off-season, I think Smith is basically going to be banging on the table for him to come back as the QB1 and emphasize how he's the QB to make his system work.

I wouldn't be shocked for Wilson to end up the majority starter this year, but unless he's cheap to retain, I'm pretty sure that they'll give the keys to Fields next year. And at that point, if he's cheap to retain that likely means he wasn't that good for the Steelers.

The only caveat I'd offer there is I think Tomlin really likes Wilson and is desperate to win now. If Wilson looks like he gets them some of the way and the money works, I think it could easily be him. The money might work easier than you think as he's in a position where taking a discount could work for him as he's already rich but wants that legacy.

But if it's not Wilson then yeah, feels like its Fields.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
:popcorn:

Hard not to root for Fields with quotes like this

It sounds like a smart dude that knows if he can progress he has another franchise QB opportunity with a storied franchise. He's playing this absolutely perfectly.

I'm a big Fields fan. I think the dude is very pro and gets what is expected of him. I really hope he continues to mature. It seems like he's been around for an eternity, but he's only 25.

i said chance. Fields is struggling with zone and cover 3 still he is leaving points on the board. Fields is about 3 more starts from costing them a 4th
I totally forgot about the escalator in the deal. That makes so much more sense why they would sit him. I don't agree with it, but I at least understand it now.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The only caveat I'd offer there is I think Tomlin really likes Wilson and is desperate to win now. If Wilson looks like he gets them some of the way and the money works, I think it could easily be him. The money might work easier than you think as he's in a position where taking a discount could work for him as he's already rich but wants that legacy.

But if it's not Wilson then yeah, feels like its Fields.
The money is definitely different. If RW plays how Tomlin wants he is going to want the 3-100 million baker got. If RW doesn’t play well then he is probably going to retire instead of hanging on as a backup.
Fields is pretty much locked in to the Minshew 2/24

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The money is definitely different. If RW plays how Tomlin wants he is going to want the 3-100 million baker got. If RW doesn’t play well then he is probably going to retire instead of hanging on as a backup.
Fields is pretty much locked in to the Minshew 2/24

Different doesn't mean difficult though. If Wilson has a more or less QB2 performance and leads the Steelers to their first playoff victory, do you think the deal doesn't get done for want of paying him like Baker Mayfield? I think they'd sign that in a heartbeat. They'd count themselves blessed he'd ask for so little.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad