OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Oh no! They are 3 and 1. Panic!

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
None of that sounds unusual for a 3/4 receiver though. We're talking a position that's been held by the likes of Switzer, Holton, Washington, McCloud and Sims. All average third day picks or disappointing second day picks, all limited guys who didn't stick around long.

The bar for being a replacement level 3/4 receiver feels pretty low. Not being there while producing in line with opportunity feels like it's expecting too much.
Okay maybe I'll adjust and say he's "replacement level" rather than below it, but I'd be okay if they nuked the whole WR room next year.

Reactions: Peat

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I don't know, I don't have any specific yardage threshold that I'm expecting out of him but I'm not going to say he's a proven producer or someone that should even merit contract extension conversations at this point. He has 2 games with over 50 receiving yards in his career. That 27.8 average is being propped up by one long play, but I get it, that's how averages work. Same with the high yards per target. I'm just chalking up these modest improvements to more opportunity-73rd most routes run among WR and 71st in receiving yards. I just see him as having a very limited skill set, basically your average day 3 pick in the draft.
Your 3rd wr is usually a Wheaton type. Slayton Reynolds Aghlor Boyd

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
CAIII has exceeded my (low) expectation, but overall Khan has assembled a terrible WR room.

To agree with what he did, you'd have to conclude either that:
1) Diontae Johnson was actual cancer to this team, which I don't agree with but some do.
2) They couldn't find a Donte Jackson without trading Diontae Johnson. This is not true, since the Steelers have 10M in cap space with which they could have gotten a corner.

Khan just whiffed bad on this whole situation. Hope he realizes it and remedies it.

Reactions: Pens x

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Austin should only be a WR4 that is mainly offering value as a punt returner. He's a gadget guy, he's not a legitimate WR3 on a team that wants to do anything.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
CAIII has exceeded my (low) expectation, but overall Khan has assembled a terrible WR room.

To agree with what he did, you'd have to conclude either that:
1) Diontae Johnson was actual cancer to this team, which I don't agree with but some do.
2) They couldn't find a Donte Jackson without trading Diontae Johnson. This is not true, since the Steelers have 10M in cap space with which they could have gotten a corner.

Khan just whiffed bad on this whole situation. Hope he realizes it and remedies it.

Shit if they waited a couple of days they could have gotten Donte Jackson anyway since he was about to be cut. The trade actually worked for both sides since both players have been good, but everything that happened (or didn’t happen) afterward was a disaster by Khan.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Shit if they waited a couple of days they could have gotten Donte Jackson anyway since he was about to be cut. The trade actually worked for both sides since both players have been good, but everything that happened (or didn’t happen) afterward was a disaster by Khan.

See that raises two possibilities to me

The first is they really wanted Jackson and completely misread the situation on how much Carolina valued Jackson and got ripped off

The second is they were aware of the situation and that's just how much value they could get on a guy they didn't want/didn't want to be here

Khan's been pretty thrifty and shrewd so far and there's been plenty of stories about the problems with DJ, so I know what my guess is here -

I'm looking at the part after the trade too.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I disagree. How did trading Johnson work out for us? Is Pickens less toxic now with him out of the picture?

To your point, we could have gotten Jackson anyway.
We are 4-2 due to Watt, Boswell, Fields' insane running talent and an easy schedule.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
See that raises two possibilities to me

The first is they really wanted Jackson and completely misread the situation on how much Carolina valued Jackson and got ripped off

The second is they were aware of the situation and that's just how much value they could get on a guy they didn't want/didn't want to be here

Khan's been pretty thrifty and shrewd so far and there's been plenty of stories about the problems with DJ, so I know what my guess is here -

I'm looking at the part after the trade too.

I’m going with this one. It seems like a case of “We’re gonna cut our DJ and you’re gonna cut your DJ so let’s just swap them.”

But yeah if they pick up anyone better than Jefferson, I don’t think anyone’s complaining about the move considering how well Jackson has played.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Could be total BS but this decision is apparently not a unanimous one. I just hope he either balls out or falls flat on his face and makes the future decision an easy one.

Garafolo has been running a very similar story. Who knows whether it matters but right now I don't like the whiff of there being guys, possibly important guys, in the Steelers org who want to leak that people aren't happy on this. Like that's only something it could be so who knows whether it's something or nothing...

... eh, I guess the worst is that it blows up all horribly and I kind of think that mightn't be so bad anyway.

Austin should only be a WR4 that is mainly offering value as a punt returner. He's a gadget guy, he's not a legitimate WR3 on a team that wants to do anything.

I mean that'd have been his role if Wilson hadn't got injured and lived up to his draft position. That's why I say WR3/4. A guy who's ideally a 4 but can step in and be okay as the 3 for a bit if needed.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
There were reports that they might cut him if they couldn't trade him. But, there is no guarantee that they would. Or that he would have signed with the Steelers.

In the end D Jackson for D Johnson was a huge win.

Anyone giving Khan grief for that trade-off would be really reaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad