OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Oh no! They are 3 and 1. Panic!

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
If you have to point at the Las Vegas Raiders to justify this team's commitment to mediocrity, I really feel like that should make you realize that your thoughts are incorrect.
My point is this isn’t basketball or baseball. You don’t trade your franchise player

I'll say he's not able to play RT ... still want to see him at LT though before I call full bust.
Not sure playing RT is his issue. He is a young guy who guys like foster and starks say you have to challenge to keep him from going chuks on plays. He is still learning to finish blocks and play to the whistle

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
You can't teach someone killer instinct. You can't give them the desire to finish blocks, and stay focused. That's something a player has or doesn't.

Jones seems to have none of those innate traits and coupled with his technique flaws (that can be improved) = what we're getting.

Total shit.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Why does Green get looped in with Dotson. Green is buried on the Texans bench
Dotson still struggles with the same speed rushing and when teams stunt in pass blocking but stafford hides it better

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I simply don't see a team that is so good we have to get another WR or we are wasting an opportunity to win it all. I think they are good enough to justify trying to get a WR, but I have no problem with Khan wanting to get one at his price. I am not overpaying to help out this team this year.

I'm kind of here. I feel bad for Fields/Wilson rebuilding their careers with this sort of help but the team comes first.

Of course, if they can get a WR who'll be here for a few years and accelerate getting to where they can win it all I get it, but there's some problems forecasting with Adams due to age and contract.

If you're not willing to try to put out the best team out there in Watt's remaining years, trade Watt to a team that will do that.

I'm not against that idea, but I'm not against using Watt as a culture setter to help get the most out of the next generation. It means probably never bottoming out and having to trade up for a QB or get lucky, but then a lot of teams that bottom often chew through a lot of QBs because they've got awful cultures and not enough talent.

I would add to this that is my estimation of the situation. The Steelers talk like they can win it all. They pretty much have to get a WR if they believe in that. I would give a lot to be a fly on the wall if they don't.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I simply don't see a team that is so good we have to get another WR or we are wasting an opportunity to win it all. I think they are good enough to justify trying to get a WR, but I have no problem with Khan wanting to get one at his price. I am not overpaying to help out this team this year.

Well here is the thing. Let's play a magical game where Adams is on this team...forget the draft pick.

Art Smith is going to have some f***stick like VJ line up in 90% of the snaps. So that leaves Pickens and Adams to fight over these other "packages" and get the remaining snaps.

If we ran a typical 2 WR offense, I'd be more inclined to say we should get another WR. But in this offense? The best WR doesn't get the most snaps and that is ass backwards to me.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
You can't teach someone killer instinct. You can't give them the desire to finish blocks, and stay focused. That's something a player has or doesn't.

Jones seems to have none of those innate traits and coupled with his technique flaws (that can be improved) = what we're getting.

Total shit.

But Jones WAS mauling and killing people last year. It'd be a different story if we NEVER saw it from him.

At some point, the Oline coach has to be called into question and I'm teetering on doing that. Something is off...lots of talent on this Oline for them to be this bad.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Well here is the thing. Let's play a magical game where Adams is on this team...forget the draft pick.

Art Smith is going to have some f***stick like VJ line up in 90% of the snaps. So that leaves Pickens and Adams to fight over these other "packages" and get the remaining snaps.

If we ran a typical 2 WR offense, I'd be more inclined to say we should get another WR. But in this offense? The best WR doesn't get the most snaps and that is ass backwards to me.
He used 2 wr a ton in Atlanta with Ryan and Tennessee but that wr has to block to help the running game. Pickens out snapped everyone yesterday

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
But Jones WAS mauling and killing people last year. It'd be a different story if we NEVER saw it from him.

At some point, the Oline coach has to be called into question and I'm teetering on doing that. Something is off...lots of talent on this Oline for them to be this bad.

I'm actually questioning Meyer a tad less this year.

Frazier came into camp a bit overmatched and went into the NFL like a beast. Even if we want to call that just a natural progression for a very strong, very experienced college player, it shows that Meyer's teachings aren't necessarily an obstacle.

Looking beyond Frazier - Moore is continuing a slow steady ascent. McCormick and Anderson have been okay considering pedigree and experience. There's definitely moments when the OL as a whole just looks completely all at sea but that's going to happen when the unit is changing every game.

Really, Jones is the only guy who just appears completely all at sea. And if it's just one guy, I don't blame the coach.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

We’re now getting upset about hypothetical snap counts?

Random, but hilarious Will Levis stat I wanted to share with the group. We’re not far from Mason Rudolph time… I thought it would’ve been this week, but I guess TEN wants to tank a bit first.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Btw, speaking of snap counts, here's the snap distribution for the skill players vs the Raiders...

Muth 87%
Washington 73%
Pickens 67%
Jefferson 64%
Harris 46%
Warren 37%
Heyward 36%
Austin 36%

The rest

Kind of curious how that worked out looking at sets. But definitely a big angry night, and one that raises questions about WR2 use in the future. Also, interesting to note Najee's number. Maybe part of his performance.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Okay, here's a stat that I don't think any of you are going to believe...

Per Pro Football Reference, Justin Fields was only pressured three times vs the Raiders. Yes, three. No, I didn't make a typo.

Bad Throw percentage of 0 too.

I'm hoping we get plenty of tape breakdown on him this week because I have, uh, questions.

edit: They're also saying he wasn't blitzed once... wasn't that flea flicker a blitz?

edit edit: Harris didn't break any tackles either. Okay, this has to be a glitch in the matrix.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Btw, speaking of snap counts, here's the snap distribution for the skill players vs the Raiders...

Muth 87%
Washington 73%
Pickens 67%
Jefferson 64%
Harris 46%
Warren 37%
Heyward 36%
Austin 36%

The rest

Kind of curious how that worked out looking at sets. But definitely a big angry night, and one that raises questions about WR2 use in the future. Also, interesting to note Najee's number. Maybe part of his performance.

That has to be the first game Pickens outsnapped VJ (note VJ missed significant time couple games ago due to an in game eye injury)

Curiously, we scored the most points yet. Coincidence or causation.

Even more aggravating is Pickens, lack of effort and all, is still ranked much higher than Jefferson by PFF for blocking. So if it's really about your most effective blocker...

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I know we shit on Tomlin and deservedly so, but at least we don't have Nick Sirianni :laugh:. I don't think I've ever seen a coach so openly hostile to his teams own fans. And then he brings his children to the post game interview with the media. Just a weird dude, and it's probably going to end badly here pretty soon.

Reactions: T1K

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I know we shit on Tomlin and deservedly so, but at least we don't have Nick Sirianni :laugh:. I don't think I've ever seen a coach so openly hostile to his teams own fans. And then he brings his children to the post game interview with the media. Just a weird dude, and it's probably going to end badly here pretty soon.

Yea he's gonna be canned after this season (if not sooner)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sirianni definitely seems a weird dude who's on his way out, but I'd still take his last four years over Tomlin's. His lows may be lower, but his high has been real high.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

To be fair to him, they are Philly fans.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It takes two to trade. Do you want him to just throw a first round pick at the first team that will take it? The team is 4-2. Yes, they need another WR but there is no reason to overpay when it isn't like any WR is going to turn this team into a Super Bowl contender.
Lazy excuses. Khan was played by Aiyuk, and it is clear there was no plan B. Sorry, but that’s inexcusable.

He pulled a Ray Shero. Khan had continued the tradition of pissing away early picks like fatso Colbert to boot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad