OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Oh no! They are 3 and 1. Panic!

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I just don't understand why we don't see Harris having these kind of games more often. His 26 yard run is a great example of that, he identified an open lane and completely juked a guy out of his shoes to get by him. Like you see the talent, but then you see him having games where he just runs into his OL and gets like 2 yards a carry.

The Raiders defense outside of Crosby, isn't that great. They are severely injured.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Moore and Jones are their only options, maybe, but they should still be looking for an upgrade on Moore.

No argument from me there but at the same time, I'm going to guess that there might be three definite upgrades in FA - if they're lucky - who will all be heavily courted and after that, there's the draft, which may or may not work.

At which point Moore at a reasonable price doesn't look the worst thing going.

No. They need to get him figured out. He has too much talent to play like this.

After nearly two and a half seasons, I think we can safely say this is who he is. A supreme talent with a brain that goes "pfft!" on a regular basis. I don't think there's any way to stop those brain farts.

And this coming off-season, he is going to be demanding money in line with his talent and I doubt he'll want to take a discount based on his brain.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
A George Pickens that’s unhappy about his contract situation seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I think a decision needs to be made on him this offseason.
Barring a strong 2nd half of the season, it makes no sense for GP to push for an early extension. He has no argument to ask for +$20 mil a year, which is the type of player he views himself as. Regardless of what happens with his contract, the Steelers will need to find his replacement in the 2025 draft. There are also a number of vets in the 2025 free agency class that could be suitable WR2s. My favorite of the bunch would be Godwin, but I suspect TB will extend him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
They don't have to pay him this offseason if they don't want to. He has no recourse but to play.

He can hold out all summer and demand a trade if he wants. Technically the team can just bully him on that but historically a lot of hold-outs don't play that great the next season and the team generally grants trade requests, so I doubt they would and I don't know they should anyway.

If he's not going to do that, that changes my patience levels (although not my optimism levels). But if he does, then that's the end of hoping he can grow. He's got to be worth the money.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
He can hold out all summer and demand a trade if he wants. Technically the team can just bully him on that but historically a lot of hold-outs don't play that great the next season and the team generally grants trade requests, so I doubt they would and I don't know they should anyway.

If he's not going to do that, that changes my patience levels (although not my optimism levels). But if he does, then that's the end of hoping he can grow. He's got to be worth the money.
Holdouts get fined and the fines cannot be excused by the teams.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
No. They need to get him figured out. He has too much talent to play like this.

They don't have to pay him this offseason if they don't want to. He has no recourse but to play.

They will not keep him around if he gets much worse than he is right now. They are at the point they are throwing him balls in a meaningless drive to keep him happy.

We knew this was totally possible with the guy. The upside, he's awesome. The downside, they aren't figuring shit out fast enough here to make him happy where he puts up big numbers and gets a big contract. Pickens wants out, and if past behavior predicts future, they will oblige.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I'm firmly in the "Jones is a bust" territory at this point.

It’s actually bizarre how bad he’s been. He had some rough moments as a rookie but his regression has been insane. He just has no clue what he’s supposed to be doing half the time.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
And yet they keep playing him despite almost anyone being probably better at this point. Our OL is an absolute mess and it's been that way for the most part unless you're talking about Muchaks's tenure.

Jones is a bust. He had high bust potential coming out due to the fact he played about 1 year of college ball. We (Tomlin) got sucked into his physical gifts and ignored the other red flags (he barely played and wasn't exactly bulletproof when he did).

He was a project pick and one we traded up for because of the state of our line at the time. I get it, and was positive on him at the time, but the due looks like a mental midget who has no clue what he's doing/doesn't care to learn in the first place.

I don't think for a second that moving him to LT would make a difference given his technique flaws and capacity to string penalties together.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
It took the Raiders benching their starting QB, 60,000 Steelers fans in an away stadium, several questionable calls that extended drives or took points off the board, and several very timely forced turnovers to pull away from an awful Raiders team. We still have zero passing game.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It takes two to trade. Do you want him to just throw a first round pick at the first team that will take it? The team is 4-2. Yes, they need another WR but there is no reason to overpay when it isn't like any WR is going to turn this team into a Super Bowl contender.

It will very likely not require a 1st rounder to improve their WR group. The offers for Adams right now seem to only be like a 3rd rounder, where the Steelers could absolutely get him if they were willing to bump up their offer to a 2nd. With how Khan has completely neglected the WR room, I don't think you can use the "he can't just overpay!" argument here.

The current WR issues come from Khan refusing to "overpay" to get a player this team desperately needs. That doesn't mean doing something stupid, but refusing to part with a 2nd because "we think fair value is only a 3rd" is just how you end up not getting anyone.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well I chalk this up to another "Steelers Sophomore Slump"
Feels like we have rookies come in and show flashes. Then the next year they regress.

Benton has been awful quiet. Mt Washington the same.

Washington's nearly hit his pass game numbers from last season already!

I think Benton's numbers show steady if quiet improvement too. I haven't loved all of Porter's game this year but he's under such a microscope due to his role that I'll accept that.

I am as skeptical of Steelers sophomore years as you but really Jones is the only guy who looks ugly this time around... but then I was never convinced by his first year anyway. He's gotten worse though and the confidence is leaking out of him.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
It will very likely not require a 1st rounder to improve their WR group. The offers for Adams right now seem to only be like a 3rd rounder, where the Steelers could absolutely get him if they were willing to bump up their offer to a 2nd. With how Khan has completely neglected the WR room, I don't think you can use the "he can't just overpay!" argument here.

The current WR issues come from Khan refusing to "overpay" to get a player this team desperately needs. That doesn't mean doing something stupid, but refusing to part with a 2nd because "we think fair value is only a 3rd" is just how you end up not getting anyone.
I simply don't see a team that is so good we have to get another WR or we are wasting an opportunity to win it all. I think they are good enough to justify trying to get a WR, but I have no problem with Khan wanting to get one at his price. I am not overpaying to help out this team this year.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I simply don't see a team that is so good we have to get another WR or we are wasting an opportunity to win it all. I think they are good enough to justify trying to get a WR, but I have no problem with Khan wanting to get one at his price. I am not overpaying to help out this team this year.

If you're not willing to try to put out the best team out there in Watt's remaining years, trade Watt to a team that will do that.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Not even sure teams are offering a 3rd especially since the raiders aren’t willing to eat salary. Teams know they aren’t going to pay him next season and when the raiders cut him they get no compensation pick.

If you're not willing to try to put out the best team out there in Watt's remaining years, trade Watt to a team that will do that.
Do you see the Raiders shopping Crosby?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not even sure teams are offering a 3rd especially since the raiders aren’t willing to eat salary. Teams know they aren’t going to pay him next season and when the raiders cut him they get no compensation pick.

Do you see the Raiders shopping Crosby?

If you have to point at the Las Vegas Raiders to justify this team's commitment to mediocrity, I really feel like that should make you realize that your thoughts are incorrect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad