OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Oh no! They are 3 and 1. Panic!

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
disappointed after the big talk about justin fields by pickens that he still is putting himself in a place to have his effort questioned. drops and mistakes are gonna happen, but he should be forcing teams to account for him on every snap. we know hes a dominant blocker when he wants to be, lets get back to that version

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
It doesn't matter what me and thee think. It only matters what Fields and the rest of the team thinks.

And the sort of situation I've described is so common in NFL and pro sports that I feel fairly sure they'll accept it. Chris Hoke said last year that "Coach Tomlin has always been big about guys not losing their jobs because of injuries” so it's not exactly new and yet he's still a player's coach. Hoke added "unless you were really, really struggling and the guy who came in was absolutely lights out".

Not to mention Fields has to know it's coming as things stand given what Tomlin last said in public about it

Given he played maybe his worst game of the season and lost, he's got to know he's not changed Tomlin's mind.

Although for what it's worth no, I don't think it's massively problematic double standard.
This quote doesn't necessarily mean that Wilson will play when he's healthy. His response has basically been all along, "We're not going to deal with hypotheticals and we'll make a decision when the both of them are healthy". Fields hasn't played at a level where he should be the unquestioned starter, but QB13ish level performance? It's been somewhere between good and average. I don't know how much more they can realistically hope for with Wilson.

There's a chance they look at the body of work and continue with him. It's what I would do. If the defense gets a stop on that final drive, we're talking about Fields and that comeback 4th quarter game winning TD. But I do think Tomlin is more binary about wins and losses and B2B losses opens the door for Wilson and he probably takes it.

If Wilson does get the job back, I don't think he gets a very long leash either. Same principles apply, like losing B2B games or 3 out of 4 will warrant another switch. This could happen after the bye.

Reactions: Peat

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
And just for another point of comparison:

Kyler Murray: 68.1% completion% (94 for 138), 8 total TDs (7 passing, 1 rushing), 2 interceptions, 194.4 passing yards/game, 99.1 passer rating
Justin Fields: 67.6% completion% (92 for 136), 8 totals TDs (5 passing, 3 rushing), 1 interception, 192.2 passing yards/game, 97.1 passer rating

They also have basically identical Y/C (10.4 for Fields, 10.3 for Murray), Y/A (7.1 for Fields, 7.0 for Murray) and AY/A (7.47 for Fields, 7.41 for Murray). The only difference between the two is Murray is getting sacked a bit less, but otherwise Fields is performing entirely in line with Murray. If you're pulling Fields with this kind of performance, it just shows that you never intended on giving Fields a real chance to be the starter in the first place.
Is that the only difference??? Numbers will only tell you so much. There is OL quality, Running game, WEAPONS and OFFENSIVE COACHING>

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This quote doesn't necessarily mean that Wilson will play when he's healthy. His response has basically been all along, "We're not going to deal with hypotheticals and we'll make a decision when the both of them are healthy". Fields hasn't played at a level where he should be the unquestioned starter, but QB13ish level performance? It's been somewhere between good and average. I don't know how much more they can realistically hope for with Wilson.

There's a chance they look at the body of work and continue with him. It's what I would do. If the defense gets a stop on that final drive, we're talking about Fields and that comeback 4th quarter game winning TD. But I do think Tomlin is more binary about wins and losses and B2B losses opens the door for Wilson and he probably takes it.

If Wilson does get the job back, I don't think he gets a very long leash either. Same principles apply, like losing B2B games or 3 out of 4 will warrant another switch. This could happen after the bye.

I know that Tomlin has generally been equivocal about the subject but to me, that quote reads fairly cut and dry. Either he slipped, or he wanted to prepare us for this change, but to me I can't see how it means anything other than "Wilson once fit" if Wilson is fit next week.

Is that the right call? As I've said, I have no idea. I suspect Tomlin is in love with the idea there's still Pro Bowl Wilson in there and he's going to do amazing things but I don't really believe in that. I respect that I could be wrong and it could happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

But I don't know how much I'd want Fields to continue to getting chances. I mean, to a certain extent as someone who only values elite QBs, it's academic for me whether he's an average QB to be brushed aside or a good QB to be given more rope. But I don't really know. The offence as a whole once again f***s pigs for crack money so it's hard to be sure what's going on. EPA likes him. QBR doesn't. The tape features a mix of shit. He's advanced a hell of a lot quicker than I thought possible in cleaning up and improving his game but I don't know that means I actually like him.

So I plead my ignorance on that one. But I think Tomlin's likely actions are more predictable.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is that the only difference??? Numbers will only tell you so much. There is OL quality, Running game, WEAPONS and OFFENSIVE COACHING>

Yes those are all things that the Cardinals have advantage on the Steelers with.

The point is that Fields is performing like a $30+ million QB and benching him is just scapegoating him for the offense around him being terrible. Like I said, he has literally every single one of this team's offensive TDs this year.

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Yes those are all things that the Cardinals have advantage on the Steelers with.

The point is that Fields is performing like a $30+ million QB and benching him is just scapegoating him for the offense around him being terrible. Like I said, he has literally every single one of this team's offensive TDs this year.
I agree with that statement.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Honestly it seems like every post you make is just making shit up.

1. 2 of Fields' fumbles were botched snaps by Frazier that hit off of Fields, and only 2 of the fumbles were actually turnovers.
2. The offense doesn't call these play-action deep shots, where are they calling these plays that Fields is somehow not taking.
3. The stacking of the box has to do with Smith's ultra predictable playcalling, and once again blaming Fields for the running game being dogshit is just stupid.

It say a lot that it's the same people shitting on Fields and advocating to get rid of him, grasping at any reason to do it.
No they were not botched snaps by fraizer. The one against the colts Fields moved his leg when they were going on silent. Fraizer was still calling the protection then Fields tried to change the play. The dude had 30 fumbles in Chicago this isn’t new
Yes they do want Fields to take deep shots off of play action that’s his best trait. Deep sideline throws to DJ more or Pickens. He doesn’t operate well under center he is never going to be a consistent 250 300 yard passer. Tomlin had 0 faith in Fields getting a game tying FG last night

I agree with that statement.
No way is fields performance anything close 30 million dollars. Not even sure he gets the 10 million Darnold is making or the 2/24 Minshew is making

Ad

Ad

Ad