OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Oh no! They are 3 and 1. Panic!

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Cool quote from Muth about the Russ/Fields dynamic in the locker room

1728060874543.png

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Najee isn't as bad as his haters make him out to be, like I remember when people were calling him Trent Richardson, but he grades out as mediocre by pretty much every metric I've seen.

NextGenStats says Najee is only seeing 8+ man boxes on 16% of plays which is definitely on the lower end for RB's. He's the only RB on the team with enough carries to qualify, so I can't compare to CPatt or Warren for example.

Haven't read it yet but Muth wrote an article on the Players Tribune:

Good read.

And while I'd point out that 7 defenders in the box sending 6 or 7 is just as bad as 8 men but not getting measured by that, I'll absolutely agree that, yeah, Harris is around average. Does some things better, some things worse. Maybe he just doesn't really fit in with what Smith is doing but my guess is he'll have some of his good days later in the season and people will start wondering what it'd take to keep him. If we do, we'll have some games like this again next season and people will be screaming again. It's the great Harris cycle.

But once he's gone, the results will probably be the same for whoever replaces him unless the Steelers change how they do business.

Incidentally, I got curious and looked at previous years. He's never been in the top 10 for rushing against 8+ man boxes, but I notice he was top 10 for ROE% (whatever the hell that is) last year and his Rush Yards Over Expected Per Attempt was nestled right between Jonathan Taylor and Derrick Henry. Which is nice. It's his only good year, and clearly the Steelers were doing something right in the rush game that year as Warren was third behind McCaffrey and Achane, but you can clearly get good years from him. It's just not going to happen like this.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Good read.

And while I'd point out that 7 defenders in the box sending 6 or 7 is just as bad as 8 men but not getting measured by that, I'll absolutely agree that, yeah, Harris is around average. Does some things better, some things worse. Maybe he just doesn't really fit in with what Smith is doing but my guess is he'll have some of his good days later in the season and people will start wondering what it'd take to keep him. If we do, we'll have some games like this again next season and people will be screaming again. It's the great Harris cycle.

But once he's gone, the results will probably be the same for whoever replaces him unless the Steelers change how they do business.

Incidentally, I got curious and looked at previous years. He's never been in the top 10 for rushing against 8+ man boxes, but I notice he was top 10 for ROE% (whatever the hell that is) last year and his Rush Yards Over Expected Per Attempt was nestled right between Jonathan Taylor and Derrick Henry. Which is nice. It's his only good year, and clearly the Steelers were doing something right in the rush game that year as Warren was third behind McCaffrey and Achane, but you can clearly get good years from him. It's just not going to happen like this.
Yeah the running game and the OL really began to gel last year towards the end of the season. Last 2 seasons really. They got more efficient with it as the year went on but it was mostly based on volume.

As far as the scheme fit, I can't pretend to be RB school and say what's good for Najee or not, but I feel like what he's done in years 1-3 isn't drastically different from what Arthur Smith is calling now. Lot of inside/outside zone runs. Cowboys aren't very good against the run and are down their 2 best defenders so this should be his best chance to go off as long as the score doesn't get out of hand.

Way too early to talk about this stuff, but this seems like a better crop of RB's this year in the draft. Ashton Jeanty (seriously go look up his numbers through 4 games lol), Judkins, Ollie Gordon, the UNC RB.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah the running game and the OL really began to gel last year towards the end of the season. Last 2 seasons really. They got more efficient with it as the year went on but it was mostly based on volume.

As far as the scheme fit, I can't pretend to be RB school and say what's good for Najee or not, but I feel like what he's done in years 1-3 isn't drastically different from what Arthur Smith is calling now. Lot of inside/outside zone runs. Cowboys aren't very good against the run and are down their 2 best defenders so this should be his best chance to go off as long as the score doesn't get out of hand.

Way too early to talk about this stuff, but this seems like a better crop of RB's this year in the draft. Ashton Jeanty (seriously go look up his numbers through 4 games lol), Judkins, Ollie Gordon, the UNC RB.

Harris has always got his yards in outside zone and I got to say that it puzzled me that they didn't call outside zone at all vs the Colts per Kozora's breakdown. But there's certainly people asking questions about the lack of Gap runs and the rest of it.

I'm interested to see what happens with the Cowboys because if they can stymie this run game, that's a brutal look.

And finally... yeah, lots of talent. Already seen Steelers fans talking about drafting Jeanty. I'm not huge on drafting RBs early for obvious reasons but if they're going to lean on a guy this heavily, doing it by Day 2 latest seems inevitable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad