OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Putting aside my growing irritation with him then yeah, they probably will be better off with him than without him. But the money has to be right. Not just for now, but for maintaining their reputation as a team who doesn't hand out big pay days to guys past their best.

And honestly, I'm increasingly moving to the idea it doesn't happen. We'll see, but Khan feels like a guy who's pretty insistent on getting his number and if Heyward is as insistent on getting his...

Khan doesn’t seem to have all that much loyalty to the Colbert guys either. I definitely think he wants to make this team his so not giving in to Heyward wouldn’t be all that shocking.

I still think they end up meeting somewhere in the middle. And I think that middle may be higher than people on here would be comfortable with.

Reactions: Peat

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Count me as someone to say see ya to Cam. Loved the guy but he's aged and not a top 5 guy anymore. Let him ride out this year and he can find an inflated deal elsewhere to retire without a ring.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
They didn’t run him our of town he was ok with competing with Mason he knew they were going to bring in competition.
If Lawerence doesn’t get an extension from Jacksonville then no Qb from the last 2 drafts are on the roster of the team that drafted them.
what are you babbling about now?

are you really forgetting the QB drafted in 2022 who started in the last super bowl?

the guy deemed with the least amount of talent of those drafted (Mr irrelevant) and put in a system from a guy who actually knows a thing or two about the offensive side of the game. and you think coaching doesn't matter?

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Shift

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think this team is better off with Cam Heyward in the next couple of years than without him. Wouldn’t surprise me if he gets back to being a top 10 caliber DT this upcoming season.

But he also has to be realistic about his situation. A GM would be dumb to throw massive money at him without seeing if he bounces back from the groin injury. I’m guessing they come to an agreement eventually though.

I also agree this team is much better with Cam around than without, but he doesn't have enough left to be a distraction or to put ourselves at a cap disadvantage. We are finally in a good cap spot after 20 years of not being so. I'd rather not do these stupid deals that teams are doing, keep drafting the way we are, and maybe even continuing to flip talent to make the process totally organic.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Khan doesn’t seem to have all that much loyalty to the Colbert guys either. I definitely think he wants to make this team his so not giving in to Heyward wouldn’t be all that shocking.

I still think they end up meeting somewhere in the middle. And I think that middle may be higher than people on here would be comfortable with.

The bolded is something that has definitely been in my mind and have brought up a couple of times. There's no ability to definitely say what Khan is thinking but everything he's done has been consistent with wanting to turn over the team quickly and build something more to his liking.

And we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised. But I can just so easily see it not happening because when you come down to it, I don't see a lot of reason for either side to budge.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Sitting behind Russ may turn out to be one of the best things that happens in Fields' career. One of the most important initiatives of this staff should be to find a way to resurrect Fields because he has the physical tools and not having to spend another 1st on a QB would be massive for us.

Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 12.14.01 PM.png

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I also agree this team is much better with Cam around than without, but he doesn't have enough left to be a distraction or to put ourselves at a cap disadvantage. We are finally in a good cap spot after 20 years of not being so. I'd rather not do these stupid deals that teams are doing, keep drafting the way we are, and maybe even continuing to flip talent to make the process totally organic.

Yeah they do have to be smart about how they allocate their cap in the next year or two. They’re in a good spot now but they have some complete unknowns at the QB and WR spots.

If one of Wilson or Fields works out or they have a chance to acquire someone like Aiyuk, then paying Heyward 15+ million may not look so great.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Sitting behind Russ may turn out to be one of the best things that happens in Fields' career. One of the most important initiatives of this staff should be to find a way to resurrect Fields because he has the physical tools and not having to spend another 1st on a QB would be massive for us.

View attachment 883381

Being accurate is a physical tool. If he doesn't have it then he is a very important tool short.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Fields is already showing accuracy problems in June, that greatly dampens any sort of expectations I have for him. His problem more than anything else is that he can't read a defense. If he is also now showing accuracy problems when not facing any pressure, you might as well just totally write off the dude as a bust.

Reactions: Andy99

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
what are you babbling about now?

are you really forgetting the QB drafted in 2022 who started in the last super bowl?

the guy deemed with the least amount of talent of those drafted (Mr irrelevant) and put in a system from a guy who actually knows a thing or two about the offensive side of the game. and you think coaching doesn't matter?
The same coach who didn’t scout maholmes because he thought he was going to sign cousins in FA. The same coach who traded 3,1sts for lance. The same guy who couldn’t win anything without Jimmy G and has blown 2 sb

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Fields is a carrer 60 percent completion percentage. He is good on the 10-20 passes with the rpo and slants
He doesn’t play with in rythem he doesn’t process he comes of his 1st read and dumps it off.

Fields is a carrer 60 percent completion percentage. He is good on the 10-20 passes with the rpo and slants

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As a confirmed disbeliever in Fields, it really wouldn't be a surprise if Fields looked more accurate in the next phase of the off-season. That this, which I think has only come from one beat reporter, is just nerves, or building chemistry, or just a random patch of bad form.

It also wouldn't be a surprise though if about the least accurate QB when unpressured/in a clean pocket last season just wasn't that accurate.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Yes DJ didn’t want to play with KP he knew another would kill his fa pay day once they brought in Wilson he wanted to stay but they wanted Jackson

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
IF my “maturity issues” they mean “dumbass issues” then yeah.
I mean I get why offensive players would be pissed about year after year of Tomlin/Canada handcuffing their production in some dumb ass system. And therefore their earning potential.

But on the other hand it was certainly immature and selfish.

So my response is more nuanced.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
IF my “maturity issues” they mean “dumbass issues” then yeah.

Why not both?

I mean I get why offensive players would be pissed about year after year of Tomlin/Canada handcuffing their production in some dumb ass system. And therefore their earning potential.

But on the other hand it was certainly immature and selfish.

So my response is more nuanced.

I don't blame anyone in the offence for acting out like they did. It must have been intensely frustrating to say the least. They're only human.

At the same time though, winning teams are the ones who can rise above the bullshit. The ones who are extraordinary rather than ordinary. And while stuff like last year can be a catalyst for growth, growth is hard to do when you're around all the people who know you for your bad habits.

So... I don't want to be super hard on Johnson or anyone else but at the same time, I'm happy that the Steelers have taken a hose to that room.

Speaking of immature dumbasses though, I forget whether this was mentioned

Can't help but feel that's a double edged sword and one the Steelers found pressed against them last season with guys like Johnson.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Fields has a year to just figure some shit out. I'd much rather roll into a Fields era than draft another gamble in the 1st round again so soon.

He's a big smart kid that has absurd physical tools. We'd be stupid to not try to reclaim him a bit. He's worth the gamble.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Fields has a year to just figure some shit out. I'd much rather roll into a Fields era than draft another gamble in the 1st round again so soon.

He's a big smart kid that has absurd physical tools. We'd be stupid to not try to reclaim him a bit. He's worth the gamble.
I agree that Fields is a huge gamble.

So is a first round draft puck quarterback.

The difference is that one of the above costs almost nothing.

So sure. Gamble on Fields for a year or two. If it fails, reload at quarterback then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad