The Pittsburgher Thread: Draft Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I'm going to be upset with the 1st round.
I just know it.

I was telling my buddy about it yesterday and he said he doesn’t like it but he will give the Steelers the benefit of the doubt because of how well they have built their team through the draft and how they usually hit on guys. I told him that at 20 this is a reach and horrendous value, especially if the other corners (Murphy, Baker and Greedy) are all still on the board. He then told me that he will still give the Steelers the benefit of the doubt.... if this is the guy that Tomlin loves then trade down

Reactions: Andy99

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I was telling my buddy about it yesterday and he said he doesn’t like it but he will give the Steelers the benefit of the doubt because of how well they have built their team through the draft and how they usually hit on guys. I told him that at 20 this is a reach and horrendous value, especially if the other corners (Murphy, Baker and Greedy) are all still on the board. He then told me that he will still give the Steelers the benefit of the doubt.... if this is the guy that Tomlin loves then trade down

Exactly same goes for Savage these are early to mid 2nd round guys.

If they like em that much use the 2nd and one of the 3rds to trade up to early 2nd and grab one.

Why waste #20 on them especially if Ferrell or someone else is there? That has value at 20.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

If they like em that much use the 2nd and one of the 3rds to trade up to early 2nd and grab one.

Why waste #20 on them especially if Ferrell or someone else is there? That has value at 20.

I really don’t even think corner is a huge need for them at this point. I am starting to believe that Oakland is either going to take Haskins or Daniel Jones at pick 4 and if it’s Jones I think Cincy might possibly try to trade up to take Haskins. That would be the dream scenario for the Steelers because that would make it way easier to get Bush. They could probably trade up to about 17 to get him and only moving up 3 spots should be very cost effective

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I'm fully expecting the Steelers to try and show us how smart they are by being incredibly stupid during the draft.

Reactions: domaug

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Arizona is reportedly going for Bosa and not Kyle Murray.

Has a team ever taken two QBs top ten in back to back seasons?

Seems kind of... weird.

I'm fully expecting the Steelers to try and show us how smart they are by being incredibly stupid during the draft.

Steelers helped themselves enough in FA where they can go BPA at 20.

I’m wondering if Metcalf is there if they take him...

Reactions: KIRK

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
AB cancels on Aqib Talib camp last minute and he cancels the whole thing. The funny part is he was praising what AB did "we are the new NBA and get to play where we want" glad he finally got to meet the real AB!

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013

Benefit of the doubt.

If I were you I would remind him while we have made some decent picks in the 1st under Tomlin we also have Jones, Burns, Edmund's, etc under him as well.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Has a team ever taken two QBs top ten in back to back seasons?

Seems kind of... weird.

Steelers helped themselves enough in FA where they can go BPA at 20.

I’m wondering if Metcalf is there if they take him...

I hope not. His measurables and his 40 time was literally the only things blowing people away.

His agility/quickness test was garbage.

His numbers in college were meh, had concentration issues with drops he shouldnt have and he was never the "GUY".

So basically he is tall, big, and can run in a straight line without pads real fast.

I'd take either Brown over him at 20.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I'm hoping AZ going with Bosa means a team like Denver or Cincy tries to move up to get one of the QBs and that let's Bush or someone fall to us.

Reactions: domaug and KIRK

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'll say it again.

If Bush is there after Cincy picks we need to be moving up. Period. Having a 3 down, electric MLB is something this D desperately needs. Anyone worth a damn knows how much different our D is without Shazier. The impact he had was massive.

Reactions: domaug and Andy99

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I hope not. His measurables and his 40 time was literally the only things blowing people away.

His agility/quickness test was garbage.

His numbers in college were meh, had concentration issues with drops he shouldnt have and he was never the "GUY".

So basically he is tall, big, and can run in a straight line without pads real fast.

I'd take either Brown over him at 20.

I did YT scouting and he looked stiff and his hands didn’t look very soft, but lots of people are pimping him so I’m just assuming they know more than I do.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Benefit of the doubt.

If I were you I would remind him while we have made some decent picks in the 1st under Tomlin we also have Jones, Burns, Edmund's, etc under him as well.

I explained that and the fact that the Steelers have been notoriously bad at evaluating the corner position but he wasn’t having any of it. He also didn’t think Edmunds was a reach

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Edmunds is way too early in his career to say if he was a good pick or a bad pick. For example, after year one everyone would have taken Artie Burns over Troy Polamalu.

In the Tomlin era, here are the first round picks:

6 of them have been Pro Bowl players, 5 have not. I'm not counting Edmunds.

The way some people talk around here, I would assume that every first round pick has been a bust. IMO, the only player that has been a bust is Jarvis Jones. The other non pro bowl players have been serviceable at times in their careers. Though if Artie Burns doesn't come around then I am willing to put him in the bust category.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Edmunds is way too early in his career to say if he was a good pick or a bad pick. For example, after year one everyone would have taken Artie Burns over Troy Polamalu.

The way some people talk around here, I would assume that every first round pick has been a bust. IMO, the only player that has been a bust is Jarvis Jones. The other non pro bowl players have been serviceable at times in their careers. Though if Artie Burns doesn't come around then I am willing to put him in the bust category.

I’d put ziggy hood there (although he was 32) and Burns has a long way to go to avoid the label, IMO.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I did YT scouting and he looked stiff and his hands didn’t look very soft, but lots of people are pimping him so I’m just assuming they know more than I do.

I agreed with both your assessments of stiffness and the hands.

Honestly though I think the scouts clamoring for the guy is just another case of his 40 time and the fact his huge frame can run that fast of a 40 time.

But they never seem to learn from that.

How many guys have we seen scouts go crazy for because they run fast and have good size and they disregard all the other variables (especially between the ears) and the dude busts.

Stick with your gut, it's more likely than not right. Even if we arent professional scouts.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I explained that and the fact that the Steelers have been notoriously bad at evaluating the corner position but he wasn’t having any of it. He also didn’t think Edmunds was a reach

Woof... welp that's a battle you cant win then.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm hoping AZ going with Bosa means a team like Denver or Cincy tries to move up to get one of the QBs and that let's Bush or someone fall to us.

You need both of them to pass. And I've seen Green Bay also cited as a possible Bush destination in some mocks.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

I think sometimes people are hard on a guy simply because he was picked too high, which is on the team not the player. Edmunds wasn't a bad prospect, but it seemed like pretty much no one was targeting him for about another round or so. The thing is of course is that the Steelers may have loved him and had their reasons, tried to trade down and couldn't, so they just picked him. Once you get into the what-if game it's hard to speculate on whether there was a mistake made somewhere or not. It was really high for him it seemed though.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Unless Bush or Hockenson or someone of that kind of value/need falls, I'd actually look to trade down about 10 slots and try to pick up an extra 2nd.

CB, S, and WR . . . you'll find guys you like anywhere from the late 1st to early 3rd round. After the top two ILB's go, same situation. So, why not pick up an extra pick in that range and trade down.

Reactions: Andy99

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Because if the teams right ahead of them take who they want....they have to get their pick in after 10 seconds on the clock to prove they got the guy they wanted .

Reactions: USMC607

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Unless Bush or Hockenson or someone of that kind of value/need falls, I'd actually look to trade down about 10 slots and try to pick up an extra 2nd.

CB, S, and WR . . . you'll find guys you like anywhere from the late 1st to early 3rd round. After the top two ILB's go, same situation. So, why not pick up an extra pick in that range and trade down.

Still say Murphy would be a great pick..RS Soph and if he stayed another year he would prob be top ten. We've passed on the DBs who turned out great and took ones who werent. I wouldn't pass on Murphy if Hock and Bush arent there. Agree they should trade back if he along with those other 2 arent there.

This draft is all about the 2nd and 3rd rounds....stacked with talent. Not much of a dropoff from late first thru those 2 rounds.

Reactions: KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad