OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Dont panic, they are 2-0!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Im sorry you actually believed he was content retiring with the raiders. It was pretty clear contractually that a split was coming and that the Raiders wouldn’t be in playoff contention by the TDL.

Adams accelerated the timeline by getting “injured” in the last possible moment at practice last week. Instead of pushing back next time, maybe consider what is logical.
They play denver us rams kc and Cincinnati before there bye they could easily be 3 and 2 in that stretch. He literally signed in Vegas because he went to college there and didn’t ask for a trade after they moved off of Carr. He wants AOC to be the Qb not minshew

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also every time I contemplate my prior confidence, based on past QBs, that guys just hardly ever explode past their third year and what that means for Fields, I have to remind myself that Darnold would probably be an MVP candidate if the season ended tomorrow. Like Fields is doing fine and it's intriguing to see what he might become but Darnold is on a rampage. Sam bloody Darnold.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I also struggle to square the following chart when it comes to run block with the yard before contact stats and how often I see the run blown up but numbers say what they say
I don't have a PFF sub so I can't verify, but I suspect the high run blocking grades for the OL are due in large part to James Daniels. PFF absolutely f***ing loved him for some reason, he was their highest graded IOL and was in the 90's or something.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Also every time I contemplate my prior confidence, based on past QBs, that guys just hardly ever explode past their third year and what that means for Fields, I have to remind myself that Darnold would probably be an MVP candidate if the season ended tomorrow. Like Fields is doing fine and it's intriguing to see what he might become but Darnold is on a rampage. Sam bloody Darnold.
I think it highlights how critical a good situation is for a QB to be successful, especially a younger one. If you look at QBs across the league, it’s very rare for a team to draft and develop their starter in house successfully.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't have a PFF sub so I can't verify, but I suspect the high run blocking grades for the OL are due in large part to James Daniels. PFF absolutely f***ing loved him for some reason, he was their highest graded IOL and was in the 90's or something.

Ditto ESPN - NFL win rate metrics leaderboard: Who is the best statistical pass rusher? Top run blocking team? - who had him 2nd.

Still 1 guy out of 5 surely can't change things that much?

I guess maybe part of it is 5 guys can block their guys perfectly and it still be a problem if a 6th player comes flying in. Given that Frazier said the Broncos were doing a lot of 6 man rushes, possible that other teams have been doing so as well

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Sam Darnold is extremely talented, though.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I think it highlights how critical a good situation is for a QB to be successful, especially a younger one. If you look at QBs across the league, it’s very rare for a team to draft and develop their starter in house successfully.
Yeah Kevin O'Connell is another one of those great offensive coaches from the McVay tree.

Counterpoint - sometimes the QB IS the situation. Like look at Jayden Daniels in Washington. Dan Quinn is a defensive guy and I don't think anyone would call Kliff Kingsbury a genius OC. Outside of McLaurin they don't really have any big name weapons either.

Reactions: T1K

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yeah Kevin O'Connell is another one of those great offensive coaches from the McVay tree.

Counterpoint - sometimes the QB IS the situation. Like look at Jayden Daniels in Washington. Dan Quinn is a defensive guy and I don't think anyone would call Kliff Kingsbury a genius OC. Outside of McLaurin they don't really have any big name weapons either.
Yup, Daniels and Stroud are two examples of unicorns who likely would’ve been successful wherever they ended up. It might be a little early to crown Daniels, but at the moment he’s looking like a home run.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Yup, Daniels and Stroud are two examples of unicorns who likely would’ve been successful wherever they ended up. It might be a little early to crown Daniels, but at the moment he’s looking like a home run.
I'm sure they will regress to the mean a little bit, because they're literally the 2nd best offense of the last 25 years in terms in terms of epa lol.

Jayden Daniels with Zach Ertz and Olamide Zaccheus as his #2 and #3 targets trailing only the peak Brady year Patriots.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
They play denver us rams kc and Cincinnati before there bye they could easily be 3 and 2 in that stretch. He literally signed in Vegas because he went to college there and didn’t ask for a trade after they moved off of Carr. He wants AOC to be the Qb not minshew
What? He went to Fresno State, not UNLV. He didn't sign in Vegas, he was traded there. He wanted to go to Vegas because he played in college with Carr. Dude, stop making shit up and just take the L.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sam Darnold is extremely talented, though.

His career average is for an 18 TD 14 INT season with a passer rating of 80. That's not a good QB. Any idea it's not startling that he's suddenly tearing this league a new one is just, well, startling in itself.

Did you steal that talking point from Ben Baldwin's twitter feed? :naughty:

I dunno. It's impossible to look at guys like Stroud and Daniels exploding in what were meant to be really hard situations and not feel something like this. But then I also find it impossible to look at Mahomes having less fun without Hill and with Kelce ageing out, or the way Smith/Darnold/Fields have blossomed on changing situations, and not think it can never just be the QB. Or the way it looks like Steichen was the prime mover behind Hurts looking like a franchise QB.

I also gotta say I find it easy to believe Kingsbury is actually capable of being a talented OC when not trying to do everything as a guy who was HC on his very first time in the NFL. Not some genius who's responsible for Daniels, but an active contributor.

I dunno man. Yeah, it's the single biggest part of the puzzle... but I feel like one guy can never be the situation.

I am now very curious though as to Washington's running game. Those are the numbers we wanted...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad