OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Dont panic, they are 2-0!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Seen a few tweets about Amari Cooper too. Can't see that trade happening in division but it at least sates another team that wants a WR.

Whoever has the opposing teams' voodoo doll, you're doing great so far this year!

Yeah. They might want to stop using the guards as dolls though.

edit:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The Pittsburgh Steelers have a Najee Harris problem
By Nick Farabaugh | [email protected]
INDIANAPOLIS -- The Pittsburgh Steelers have a Najee Harris problem. It is not exclusively about Harris, but after a performance in which Harris posted 19 yards on just 13 carries, something has to give, right?

Well, there are underlying concerns for Harris in this offense. A year after his efficiency soared in the post-Matt Canada firing offense, Harris is less efficient than ever with Arthur Smith calling plays.

He is averaging just 3.4 yards per carry over the first four games of the season. Harris has received most of the first-down carries for the Steelers this year, and no team averages less yards per carry on first down than the Steelers. The Steelera are last in success rate on those runs, too.

Some of that would lead people to believe that Harris is missing open holes, but that is not what is happening. Of the 13 carries, Harris ran nine zone runs. Four were gap runs when Cordarrelle Patterson was in the game for his six carries. Does it seem backward in usage?

The 6-foot-2, 240-pound running back should follow pullers and get downhill. Yet Smith has waned away from that with Harris, an odd usage decision. In the context of becoming a mid- and wide-zone runner, Harris just does not have the burst downhill nor the lateral quickness to maximize cutback lanes.

The idea of the stretch play, dating back to Mike Shanahan’s days with Terrell Davis, was to stress a defense horizontally or force them to overpursue and cut it back. Harris lacks the burst to hit holes and correctly hit the set points’ timing in this scheme. It does not fit him as a runner. Meanwhile, Patterson and Jaylen Warren hit the hole with explosiveness and get going instantly. They are runners that can maximize themselves in this scheme.

Then comes the point where the Steelers block gap runs horribly. Throughout the season’s first four weeks, gap runs have obvious free runners coming to hit Harris immediately, either due to poor blocks or missed assignments.

Smith has become predictable in some of his play calls and personnel usage. So, teams are dropping guys down into the box and blitzing a safety, forcing the Steelers to lose the numbers game. Meanwhile, Smith continues to ask wide receivers that are subpar blockers to dig out key defenders as the insert block, and those defenders continue to stifle Harris near the line of scrimmage.

Due to his athletic limitations, Harris will always be a limited player in scope, but he is a durable, hard runner who can be efficient. He was last season, so it is already known that Harris can be a problem in the right spot.

Yet, through a poor scheme and some odd personnel decisions that cater to Harris’ weaknesses, the start of the season has been disappointing for Harris. He can do some things to try and fix it, but this will mostly be about Smith tweaking usage and the other personnel executing at a higher level.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Seen a few tweets about Amari Cooper too. Can't see that trade happening in division but it at least sates another team that wants a WR.

Yeah. They might want to stop using the guards as dolls though.

edit:

Our old friend Diontae Johnson will probably be available too which could also work in the Steelers favor. His and Cooper’s contracts might be more feasible for other teams to take on.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Our old friend Diontae Johnson will probably be available too which could also work in the Steelers favor. His and Cooper’s contracts might be more feasible for other teams to take on.

Be interesting to see what Carolina do. Putting Dalton in has been an instant fix for them. I dunno whether they're going to think long term and look for the trade, or try to put the best face they can on this season.

Incidentally, before someone says it, there's limits on teams trading for players they've traded away, so I don't believe the Steelers could even look at bringing Johnson back themselves.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don’t try to understand NFL contracts but if Adams’ contract means the price is low that feels like a potential move to monitor

I don’t think this team should be in biz of giving up high picks though.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Be interesting to see what Carolina do. Putting Dalton in has been an instant fix for them. I dunno whether they're going to think long term and look for the trade, or try to put the best face they can on this season.

Incidentally, before someone says it, there's limits on teams trading for players they've traded away, so I don't believe the Steelers could even look at bringing Johnson back themselves.
Good point, I didn’t know that was a rule

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Steelers are not permitted to reacquire him for 1 year. So he's out.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don’t try to understand NFL contracts but if Adams’ contract means the price is low that feels like a potential move to monitor

I don’t think this team should be in biz of giving up high picks though.

It's very frustrating to me that the NFL trade deadline happens before this team can really measure itself against some top opposition and understand whether there's a window here. There probably isn't but it'd be nice to be sure.

Also I'm guessing there's not a lot of NFL precedent for teams trading for a guy and immediately reworking his contract? Because I wouldn't really want to see the team trade for Adams and pay him 40m+ the next two years. I'm sure his cap hit can be massaged through a new contract but without knowing what that looks like, how amenable Adams is to doing it, it's tough to know how to feel about the team acquiring him.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Adams is fine but only if they can get out of the last two years of his deal without a major cap hit or he’ll restructure the contract…woof, not interested in paying him $36M for the next 2 seasons

Last edited:

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I can assure you Adams has no interest in playing under a non-guaranteed contract as well. A restructure will happen wherever he ends up — or he will be cut at the end of the year.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
This is a dumb take. The salary cap should be secondary for a team like the Steelers who currently and project to have plenty of it available.

If they believe he can help their team and not be a locker room issue, get this deal done now.
I mean all it's really saying is that it's more plausible he gets dealt closer to the deadline when a team could acquire him without having to restructure someone else's contract.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This is a dumb take. The salary cap should be secondary for a team like the Steelers who currently and project to have plenty of it available.

If they believe he can help their team and not be a locker room issue, get this deal done now.

I, uh, am useless at the ins and outs of the NFL cap so grain of salt but -

OverTheCap says the Steelers have 10m of it left this season. They straight up can't fit Adams in today with 13m still to be paid. Obviously they can restructure but I don't know what complications would bring.

They do have the cap space to make moves in the seasons to come, but chewing it up by paying out cap hits of 40m+ to Adams doesn't make sense to me. I feel sure they can get more help for that cap space than a 32 year old Davante Adams. And there's no guarantee that he'd restructure rather than going "if you don't like it, cut me and let me hit FA".

Or in short, while the Steelers have lots of cap space, they don't enough to just open wide and chew this down.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Remember that 70 million they have next season will go quickly. They have to extend Jackson pay fields extend Pickens

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Remember that 70 million they have next season will go quickly. They have to extend Jackson pay fields extend Pickens
Pickens is under contract next year with a $2M cap hit. If they extend Jackson, something that's no sure thing as paying a 29-year-old CB big money is not a Steelers thing to do, that's like $10M at most. God only knows how the QB situation will shake out. I don't think they'll add Adams but they certainly can make it work if they choose to do so.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
How much would you give up for Adams if he is only a half season rental?

I keep going back to the Keenan Allen trade where he went for a 4th. Things are trending toward us not having a 4th in the upcoming draft but I feel like the value should be somewhere around there.

The Raiders might not do it, but I’d start with a 3rd and see where that gets me. Or maybe a 5th + conditional 2026 pick if they restructure the contract or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad