OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Dont panic, they are 2-0!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I'm also a Buccaneers fan since I moved and now live in Florida. The funniest thing about today was watching Eagle fans being hot and miserable. And also watching Eagle players one by one being carted off because of the heat.
Not that i expected you to care i dealt with hurricane Helene, because im mean to you all. But I made it through it no problem.
I'll take Baker over Fields all day.

Tomlin only wishes he was as smart as Todd Bowles. There is no comparison, it's a crime Bowles isn't credited for his brilliant defensive mind.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Or maybe Harris just isn't hitting those rushing lanes while these other guys are capable of doing that?

It's been 4 years with Harris now and the only RB Harris has outperformed in terms of yards/carry is Benny Snell Jr. He was outperformed by Warren in each of the last 2 years and is now getting outperformed by a 33 year old Cordarrelle Pattersson. I don't see how you can look at this ridiculously common trend and somehow assign it to be anything but talent related with Harris.

He ranks tied for 247th in the NFL in terms of rushing yards per attempt in the NFL, and the only other active player that is worse than him is Jamaal Williams. He's another Leonard Fournette type of back: he's a volume power back that only offers value with his availability. Ironically, Fournette was replaced entirely by an undrafted FA backup when the Jags released him and upgraded James Robinson (1070 rushing yards, 4.5 yards/attempt in 2020) to their RB1 spot.

By taking the point of view that usage matters more than talent for RBs and that the usage is markedly different. The usage being different is a matter of statistical record. Yards per carry is also mainly a reflection of usage. Has Harris been used more stupidly than any other RB in the NFL over the last three years? I find that pretty easy to believe.

If we're trying to measure more in terms of usage, we look at something like EPA. It's far from perfect and still reflects surrounding personnel a ton but Here's a chart showing RB EPA from last season in terms of perfectly blocked and non-perfectly blocked.

It's saying Harris is around average. It's also saying that if you see a chart saying Harris had awful EPA last season, he probably didn't have much perfect blocking in front of him... which we knew. Does the chart say Warren was better? Yeah, but not by a whole ton.

Certainly not enough to think Harris is some awful player and they can never make the scheme work with him.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Easily winnable game if our coaches made any semblance of adjustments. Four rushers on Flacco was a large completion 100% of the time.

Najee is the worst starting RB in the league and probably worse than a lot of backups. I'd venture to guess if Patterson was healthy we would have won.

Once again awful officiating, but that's the NFL. Awful product.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Easily winnable game if our coaches made any semblance of adjustments. Four rushers on Flacco was a large completion 100% of the time.

Najee is the worst starting RB in the league and probably worse than a lot of backups. I'd venture to guess if Patterson was healthy we would have won.

Once again awful officiating, but that's the NFL. Awful product.
Not blitzing Flacco until very late was alarming and astounding.

Reactions: metalan2 and T1K

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
The Steelers have one of the lowest blitz rates of any team in the NFL all season. Today was just more of the same - Watt and Herbig and the others just weren't getting home, at least before the 4th quarter. Yet another example where a lack of adjustments bit them - I'd assume they would be hesitant to blitz Richardson to avoid him breaking contain and running, but it seemed there were zero changes when the statue Flacco came in and Flacco was always very vulnerable to the blitz back when he was a Raven.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Week 4 QB efficiency pending SNF and the two MNF games

1727655298112.png

Flacco QB3
Fields QB9

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I don’t think the Steelers D was ready for the Colts coming out aggressive on offense. They weren’t prepared for that. That is on the coaching staff having them ready for any situation.
I am sick and tired of all the slow starts under this coaching staff.

Part of it is the out-dated mentality of Tomlin trying to win every game 13-10.

Reactions: Pens x

Mr Jeff Jimerson

May 9, 2013
That's already a 2nd a 1 and a 4th and 1 converted by QB sneaks from Buffalo while the Steelers are doing shotgun QB draws in the same situation.

It makes me absolutely sick to my stomach.

Reactions: TNT87

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
When the Steelers weren’t shooting themselves in the foot the refs were more than happy to pull the trigger for them. About the only mistake missing from the Steelers would have been a punt blocked or maybe kickoff returned for a TD. Admirable that they were able to make it a competitive game given everything that went wrong - which of course went right until the very end. Thankful that we’ll at least have that extra timeout at our disposal for the next game.

And Patrick Queen might be the NFL equivalent of Konstantin Koltsov.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You watch other teams and you realize that the Steelers are not a professionally coached team lol

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
You watch other teams and you realize that the Steelers are not a professionally coached team lol
What team are you talking about?
KC who just lost Rice for the year Harbaugh for the chargers who lost today at home to kc. Denver who beat the Jets with 60 yards passing from nix

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Such as the Bills who look like a 1984 WAC defense? Not to rain on your "shit all over everything Pittsburgh" parade, but is that who you mean?
Well the Bills don’t look great but at least these teams look organized and they don’t make boneheaded mistakes like fumbling no reason, lining up in shotgun on 4th and a half yard, challenging the wrong play,and they appear to have the center-QB exchange down…

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Well the Bills don’t look great but at least these teams look organized and they don’t make boneheaded mistakes like fumbling no reason, lining up in shotgun on 4th and a half yard, challenging the wrong play,and they appear to have the center-QB exchange down…
Well, Lamar did just fumble on a boneheaded scramble, the Bills did lineup in shotgun in 4th and 1, and the Bills' safeties take angles that would embarrass a high school team. Tomlin is uniquely awful as challenges, though.

And there the Ravens just gave up a 1st down by taking consecutive timeouts on defense. Professional team, I guess.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Tomlin said they prepared all week for Richardson so it took them longer than usual to make adjustments for Flacco.

Really? They just sit back and play their same defense for a run option QB who can't pass for Flacco without adjusting anything? So they just play zone with no pressure for 2 quarters because, well that's what they prepared for, no adjustments here.

I guess the 700 times Flacco has played the Steelers in his 20 year career must have never crossed Tomlins mind lol.

It's hard to understate what an awful in game coach Tomlin is. Probably the worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad