OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Dont panic, they are 2-0!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I disagree with this. San Diego was definitely doing things to keep him contained, and I think it helped the unit in general. He also made some really great throws into tight windows.

They really just need better talent for him to throw to right now. WRs aren't getting separation.
Ca 3 has been open often this season Fields has to see the wr open instead of throwing them open or with anticipation

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
If they take care of business vs lesser teams (a big ask given this teams history) should have a nice record at the bye, heading into their brutal stretch.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
If they take care of business vs lesser teams (a big ask given this teams history) should have a nice record at the bye, heading into their brutal stretch.
And our 2nd half stretch might look completely different.
Cleveland might not win another game before there bye and Garrett is considering surgery on his foot. Baltimore has a rough next 3 games Bengals could have traded higgins at the deadline and Chase shutdown because they didn’t pay him

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Cleveland might not win another game before there bye and Garrett is considering surgery on his foot. Baltimore has a rough next 3 games Bengals could have traded higgins at the deadline and Chase shutdown because they didn’t pay him
Easier to prepare for the opposite.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Who is the poster here that repeatedly assured us that Fields would be a disaster? He may not turn out to be the answer but he's been doing what he needs to do to win. A huge improvement from last year.

He must be miserable seeing Fields succeed.

I'll eat all the crow and admit I was wrong in due time. Sure my eyes are raised, but You want to crown him after 3 games? Don't hurt yourself being all excited kiddo, this is still the Tomlin/Rooney show.

But for now, Go ahead crown it or put a ring on it you weird little man.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

Cool dude should have given you game ball, you were outstanding on Sunday. Why does this organization treat you like Rudy?

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I disagree with this. San Diego was definitely doing things to keep him contained, and I think it helped the unit in general. He also made some really great throws into tight windows.

They really just need better talent for him to throw to right now. WRs aren't getting separation.

Disagree with what? He’s not a threatening QB with his arm. Making a couple decent throws a game doesn’t change that. Fundamentally he’s a 1-2 read QB. The team can’t use the whole field with him out there, and that’s not going to change because he can’t read defenses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Shift

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
We are 3-0 because of the defense JF has 2 passing tds and a 3rd running in 3 games. Atlanta is a dumb call from Philly to being 0-3. Denver wasn’t even a threat

Malik willis is putting up numbers in Greenbay maybe they shouldn’t have paid Love

Or you could say Atlanta is a dumb call from their OC from being 2-1 with wins over KC and Philly. Denver’s offense may suck but their defense is no joke. 2 of the teams they’ve faced have defenses ranked inside the top 6 so far and the other was competitive against both Philly and KC.

It hasn’t been a crazy schedule but it also hasn’t been a complete joke of a schedule either.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why keep entertaining the guy who is here solely to shit on Fields and say how awful he is? Romo was giving glowing reviews of him yesterday and noting how well he was going through progressions, yet Fields is still only a “1-2 read guy who can’t read a defense”.

Don’t feed the trolls.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I'll eat all the crow and admit I was wrong in due time. Sure my eyes are raised, but You want to crown him after 3 games? Don't hurt yourself being all excited kiddo, this is still the Tomlin/Rooney show.

But for now, Go ahead crown it or put a ring on it you weird little man.
I remember you trying to victory lap off-season OTA reports where reporters claimed Fields struggled with accuracy, as well as telling anyone who would listen that Hurts was going to lose his job to Pickett 🤣
4B0B2713-1F0A-4CFD-849E-DC5B626DE053.gif

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This defense is truly special. Linebacking group is back! I'd love to have Dick LeBeau back here to have these guys doing all the stunt blitz's and stuff. This defense is why Fields is succeeding. No pressure for the offense to have to run out there every drive and score. Difference between this year and last year is that the offense can sustain TOP and the defense can get a breather. I still only think this team is operating on 4/8 cylinders. With a few pointed additions and these young guys continuing to progress...this may get fun or the wheels fall off in a blaze of glory. Either way...I see the needle moving.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Call it an appeal to authority all you want, but if Tony Romo and Dan Orlovsky (both former NFL QBs) are giving glowing reviews of Fields and noting how he looks completely night and day from what he was in Chicago, I'll believe it. Especially because my eyes are telling me the same thing.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Why keep entertaining the guy who is here solely to shit on Fields and say how awful he is? Romo was giving glowing reviews of him yesterday and noting how well he was going through progressions, yet Fields is still only a “1-2 read guy who can’t read a defense”.

Don’t feed the trolls.

Yeah guys, stop feeding the trolls! Whats wrong with youz guyz??

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
His passing chart from this week literally had him using the field from sideline to sideline. There just weren’t any huge deep shots…which clearly wasn’t the game plan.

Watching Orlovsky explain things here makes me realize how truly little I know about football :laugh:

But yeah, look at the moment when Fields starts the throwing motion to Pickens:

1727104398146.png

I really feel like that's showing strong field anticipation and vision, rather than waiting for Pickens to be completely wide open and possibly hitting him late.

I think Orlovsky mentioning Fields being a little late on that Austin throw is also valid, he was able to fit it into a super tight window because he has a good arm but you're ideally throwing it a fraction of a second earlier to hit Austin more in the open field.

Also, I think that high-low play is a terrific play design by Smith. Freiermuth was also wide open as the 3rd option and would have likely gotten about 10-15 yards on that throw as well, so it gave Fields the option of going with the high/low guy or hitting Muth and getting a nice gain as well. Really nice play design and play calling by Smith to give Fields those options.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
This defense is truly special. Linebacking group is back! I'd love to have Dick LeBeau back here to have these guys doing all the stunt blitz's and stuff. This defense is why Fields is succeeding. No pressure for the offense to have to run out there every drive and score. Difference between this year and last year is that the offense can sustain TOP and the defense can get a breather. I still only think this team is operating on 4/8 cylinders. With a few pointed additions and these young guys continuing to progress...this may get fun or the wheels fall off in a blaze of glory. Either way...I see the needle moving.
Yeah the biggest area I still see see as needing improvement is the red zone. Only 2/8. Granted, we just took a kneel at the 1 yard line when LAC had already waived the white flag, but we can still be better there.

You mentioned TOP - also out snapping teams by a wide margin as well. This year through 3 games: 189-151. Last year at this time? Out snapped 214-174

Reactions: JTG

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Watching Orlovsky explain things here makes me realize how truly little I know about football :laugh:

View attachment 908926

I really feel like that's showing strong field anticipation and vision, rather than waiting for Pickens to be completely wide open and possibly hitting him late.

I think Orlovsky mentioning Fields being a little late on that Austin throw is also valid, he was able to fit it into a super tight window because he has a good arm but you're ideally throwing it a fraction of a second earlier to hit Austin more in the open field.
The Steelers are treating him like a rookie qb and slowly rebuilding him since Chicago destroyed him. This team won games with Pickett last season Guys like Jones Dixon have wins in a Steelers uniform
He will probably be the starter for the rest of the season and RW who is playing for his final contract will ask for a trade

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

View attachment 908926

The one thing I liked that Orlovsky pointed out was that his arm strength can make up for when his anticipation wasn’t perfect (and let’s be real it probably never will be consistently amazing). Like the throw to Austin could have been earlier but it doesn’t matter as much when you can throw it on a rope.

The mental side is probably the most important, but you just can’t ignore physical traits with a QB.

Yeah the biggest area I still see see as needing improvement is the red zone. Only 2/8. Granted, we just took a kneel at the 1 yard line when LAC had already waived the white flag, but we can still be better there.

You mentioned TOP - also out snapping teams by a wide margin as well. This year through 3 games: 189-151. Last year at this time? Out snapped 214-174

I think Seumalo replacing Anderson will be huge for the offense. Anderson’s been a liability through 3 games.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad