OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 5 and 2 Justin who? Hand the Fields to Wilson

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well, if nothing else, feel like the difference between sentiments at the end of the 1st quarter and sentiments now is why patience can be a beautiful thing :laugh:

That's true but I also think it's true that Wilson was really, really bad to start the game :laugh:

Glad to be proven wrong and think they should absolutely stick with Wilson going forward, but I still think Wilson was downright heinous to start that game. They just need to hope they get 2nd-4th quarter Wilson rather than 1st quarter Wilson going forward.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan and Peat

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
That's true but I also think it's true that Wilson was really, really bad to start the game :laugh:

Glad to be proven wrong and think they should absolutely stick with Wilson going forward, but I still think Wilson was downright heinous to start that game. They just need to hope they get 2nd-4th quarter Wilson rather than 1st quarter Wilson going forward.
He threw a screen into the dirt like 3 yards from its intended receiver, you're not wrong about him being rough early.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

He was going to be rusty. He barely played in pre season

Reactions: td_ice

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think another positive I saw with Wilson was his aggressiveness with throwing a deep ball. Even beyond his moon ball that he’s known for, it’s also a great way to get DPI calls against the defense and get big gains without having to make completions. Flacco was also good at that when he was with the Ravens, he’d throw competitive enough deep balls that his WRs could draw those huge gain DPI penalties without having to make a catch.

I think that’s one aspect of Fields’ game that he was missing. He has the arm for it but I think he was playing very conservatively and trying to avoid turnovers. I didn’t get that vibe from Wilson today, he’s not playing scared of turning the ball over.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Oh, he was atrocious to begin with. Hell I think he was still making some goober passes in the third quarter, and a lot of those deep balls to Pickens that started to turn the game were rather lucky. But hey it all came good.

One thing I'd like to highlight for him is he only took one sack. That's part him playing smart and showing his legs are far from totally cooked, but I think that's part a credit to the OL. I think they dominated the Jets' DL in the second half.

Be fun to see if they can build off of it next week.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Love that Wilson was seemingly brought back from the dead via the heave ‘n pray. I think he went 3 for 4 via Pickens contesting catches and the DPI on those? Way better performance than I was expecting/fearing

Najee doesn’t get enough (any?) credit for how sure-handed he is with the ball. Guy takes A TON of contact and rarely fumbles.

Career defining game for Beanie. I think he’ll probably always be a limited player at the NFL level but the guy has beaten so many odds just to be here. And he’s doing better than most any UFDA DB who was made a starter on Day 1 that I can think of.

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
The Giants benched Jones today and it was so bad Pickett played because the Eagles were feasting 8 sacks
For some reason I had the Giants' play this season confused with the Bills. Same team colours, wrong part of NY haha.

Giants are ass. Wilson should be able to cook them harder than he did the Jets.

Edit: Kenny no hands played, threw one attempt that did nothing and got sacked. Sounds about right.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Without Pickens' 2 catches bailing out the underthrown Wilson's numbers look pretty poor. 14/29, 181 yards.
Loved seeing Pickens getting aggressive and making those 2 plays.

Loved seeing Danny Smith and the special teams get sweet revenge after being robbed of the blocked extra point.

Will never get tired of honouring guys like Swann, Bleier, and Greene.

Franco being gone still hits hard. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad